Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting the engine, i get a fast 1/2-second mechanical 'grinding' noise. It sound like some anti-theft lock being disengaged inside the steering column/dashboard area.

I have searched the manuals to no avail. Anyone else get this noise?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
No grinding here. I would point it out to your service department on your next oil change, unless it is really bugging you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No differance on cold or warm start (go idea though). I made an audio file on my iPhone - how can i upload .m4a files?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have noticed some clicking coming from the steering column as if something is being disengaged. I only notice this whenever I turn the electronics on without turning the car on. Try that to see if you still hear the noise. Without pressing the brake press the start button. Then after a few seconds press it again, still without pressing the brake. The second time turns everything on but the engine and I hear the clicking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@MrMoo, correct and thank you.

The first push brings the mechanical noise. It sometimes moves the wheel, so i am guessing it is an anti theft interlock. Does yours grind & whirr, or just click?

The second push is the clicking, and lights up the instrument cluster.

Note that with normal engine start, i get both sets of noises all at once....gotta post a file...

·
Registered
520 Posts
@MrMoo, correct and thank you.

The first push brings the mechanical noise. It sometimes moves the wheel, so i am guessing it is an anti theft interlock. Does yours grind & whirr, or just click?

The second push is the clicking, and lights up the instrument cluster.

Note that with normal engine start, i get both sets of noises all at once....gotta post a file...
No problem, we're all here to help each other.

I haven't checked lately but I don't recall ever hearing a mechanical noise. If I remember I will take a listen sometime this week.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Popped by the dealer today, and compared my noise to a demo vehicle - same thing. One sales rep says its the ABS system performing a self check - I am not sure, but it would seem that its normal.

In parallel, I was wondering about the engine noise/ticking at idle, and that is apparently normal too. Direct injectors, I think this has been on a few other threads as well.

Case closed.

Reactions: Summest
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.