Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumped into Sybil at lunch to head home. Started her up and I hear two pops. One is the gas door and the other is the trunk lid. They both popped open. Seems the old girl is reverting to her more horrifying days. Called the dealership and she'll be back there Friday morning to have this looked at again. Along with this will be a cross traffic monitor update, a collision mitigation error fix and hopefully, the latest software for the tranny.

I wonder what the loaner will be this time. Another MDX? That was a nice ride. The ILX wasn't.

·
Registered
222 Posts
that's the weirdest thing i've heard happen to the TLX
it's like a child that doesn't want to go anywhere and just throws a fit :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the weirdest thing i've heard happen to the TLX
it's like a child that doesn't want to go anywhere and just throws a fit :D
I know, huh?!?!?!?! The people at my dealership think I'm nuts. I reminded them that it was there in January for the same thing.:|:|

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have noticed that i have hit these two release switches while aiming for the others - for example to turn off parking sensors in a snow storm. The lightest brush will release either one.

Not suggesting this is the case...but a knee, knuckles, anything?

What was the original diagnosis?

Reactions: MikeinEDH

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just left my dealership, after checking on the status of my software update. The transmission update for the 9 speed 2-3 shift apparently did nothing to my car. Acura told me they wanted to keep it for another day to do more testing.

The service manager told me the software update is not widely known, so you will have to dig and dig for it. (Have them get TechLine involved). The more people that go to their dealerships and get TechLine involved, the better. I am disappointed the "update" did nothing. I am happy they didn't just settle for that and give me my car back.

FYI, I am in a 2014 RDX. I would prefer the MDX though. Had that one before too. :)

Good luck in your service endeavors!

Wes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jumped into Sybil at lunch to head home. Started her up and I hear two pops. One is the gas door and the other is the trunk lid. They both popped open.
This has happened to my wife 3-4 times. We assume that she must hit the two buttons with her knee as she gets into the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, thanks everyone for the input. Just one of the reasons I appreciate the forum environment!

To address of few of these ideas... The first time I took the car to the dealership to diagnose, they couldn't replicate the gas lid / trunk popping open. This hasn't only happened with the car in park. It's also happened driving through a parking lot. Because of this and a few other oddities, they did a system reset in an attempt to correct. It appeared to be ok until yesterday.

And just on a general note- I'm pretty cautious climbing in, not wanting scuff marks on either the light door panels or the rocker plate. This thing still smells new. Needs to stay that way!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
First off, thanks everyone for the input. Just one of the reasons I appreciate the forum environment!

[Edited for Clarity]

It's also happened driving through a parking lot. Because of this and a few other oddities, they did a system reset in an attempt to correct. It appeared to be ok until yesterday.

And just on a general note- I'm pretty cautious climbing in, not wanting scuff marks on either the light door panels or the rocker plate. This thing still smells new. Needs to stay that way!
I thought Acura would have a safety scheme where they wouldn't allow you to open the trunk when in motion. :confused: Guess not.

I have had a couple issues where something in my pocket pressed against the key fob and opened the trunk when I got into or out of the car. I am wondering if I need a protective case for it.

Since you have issues with both the trunk and gas lid, I think you are correct in focusing on the switches that control these two components. Maybe there is a short in the switch? It's just odd that both of these are controlled in the same location.

I was certain you didn't press your knee against it, I too am careful when I get into my car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought Acura would have a safety scheme where they wouldn't allow you to open the trunk when in motion. :confused: Guess not.

I have had a couple issues where something in my pocket pressed against the key fob and opened the trunk when I got into or out of the car. I am wondering if I need a protective case for it.

Since you have issues with both the trunk and gas lid, I think you are correct in focusing on the switches that control these two components. Maybe there is a short in the switch? It's just odd that both of these are controlled in the same location.

I was certain you didn't press your knee against it, I too am careful when I get into my car.
Good points. I've tried to open the trunk while in motion and it won't allow me to. I also keep my fob in hand when I get into the car and place it into the cup-holder. I could understand if it was just the trunk that popped open but it's both, at the same time. 0715 tomorrow morning she goes back into some pretty capable hands. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
666 Posts
0715 tomorrow morning she goes back into some pretty capable hands. We'll see what happens.
That is a very positive outlook. Show them your confidence to help them do the very best for you. Remember the guys at the dealer did not design or build the car, but with some encouragement will do their best to work with the tools at their disposal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a very positive outlook. Show them your confidence to help them do the very best for you. Remember the guys at the dealer did not design or build the car, but with some encouragement will do their best to work with the tools at their disposal.

Agreed. I've been using this Acura dealership since 1994 when I bought my first Integra. They're a class act.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a picture of Sybil's long, lost sister in my driveway. Its the loaner I picked up this morning when I dropped mine off at the dealership. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I called my guy at said dealership and said.... tell ya what: You keep that one and I'll keep this one. I don't think it worked. Anyway, I did tell him that the drive-ability of the two cars couldn't be different. Seems like this one went to tranny finishing school. Regular and Sport modes drove so nice. I also told him that when I pick mine up, I expect it to feel like this one or I'll turn it around and pull it right back in. I hope they get it right. Really do.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Here's a picture of Sybil's long, lost sister in my driveway. Its the loaner I picked up this morning when I dropped mine off at the dealership. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I called my guy at said dealership and said.... tell ya what: You keep that one and I'll keep this one. I don't think it worked. Anyway, I did tell him that the drive-ability of the two cars couldn't be different. Seems like this one went to tranny finishing school. Regular and Sport modes drove so nice. I also told him that when I pick mine up, I expect it to feel like this one or I'll turn it around and pull it right back in. I hope they get it right. Really do.
But it's not red! >:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow that begs an interesting question- what happened that makes things so different? Maybe get them to copy the White transmission settings into the Red tranny.

Really curious as to how this one turns out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it has everything to do with the learning process the car MUST go through when first driven. I don't think every car gets the correct startup, and that results in varying levels of performance. Just my guess...

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow that begs an interesting question- what happened that makes things so different? Maybe get them to copy the White transmission settings into the Red tranny.

Really curious as to how this one turns out.
Got a call from Service a few minutes ago. Multiple software updates. They're going to keep it tonight and take it out, cold, first thing in the morning. They asked me to do the same with the loaner to see if it does act like my car or not. I like this experiment. I'll update with what all they did tomorrow. Looking forward to the outcome.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it has everything to do with the learning process the car MUST go through when first driven. I don't think every car gets the correct startup, and that results in varying levels of performance. Just my guess...
Wes, I'm going to bring this observation to them tomorrow. It's a thought!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.