Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2015 TLX ADV V6 and have read about this. How many of you are actually using it? I would prefer better throttle response but can live with the way it is.

For the people using this has there been any questions by the Service techs? This car has 22K on it and all the maintenance was done by the dealership and I plan on continuing with that.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
I've had my Sprint Booster for about a year. Love it. If the dealership said I must remove this product, I would sell the car. Makes a world of difference in driving. I also added a VCM Muzzler. The VCM Muzzler cut down on vibration some and helps the longevity of the engine.

NOTE: I do not take my vehicle into the dealership for maintenance. I do it myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had my Sprint Booster for about a year. Love it. If the dealership said I must remove this product, I would sell the car. Makes a world of difference in driving. I also added a VCM Muzzler. The VCM Muzzler cut down on vibration some and helps the longevity of the engine.

NOTE: I do not take my vehicle into the dealership for maintenance. I do it myself.
Do either one of these devices leave a "footprint" in the ECM? I would take the VCM Muzzler off before taking to the dealer to be safe. The car I bought still has a lot of warranty and I do not want to jeopardize that but if these cables make the car better without affecting warranty, I am all for it.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
I have a high-end scanner and it CANNOT detect the VCM Muzzler or the Sprint Booster, but an Acura proprietary scanner might, but I doubt it. There just is no reason for a scanner to be looking for this.

If my car had a problem such as hesitation, drivability, misfire, or such, I probably would disconnect it from the system before taking it in. On the other hand, to bring in the car for brakes, exhaust, cooling system, etc. that has nothing to do with the VCM Muzzler or Sprint Booster, I would not remove it from the car.

I also still have warranty and extended warranty on my car too and do not want to do anything to jeopardize it.

Even if I forgot to remove it, the worst that would happen is that the technician might say: “Hey, your Sprint Booster was the cause of the misfire and we had to remove it. Therefore, this repair is not covered under warranty and we will be charging you $145 for the diagnostic and removal of the Sprint Booster.”

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would be hesitant... what if from “Hey, your Sprint Booster was the cause of the misfire and we had to remove it. Therefore, this repair is not covered under warranty and we will be charging you $145 for the diagnostic and removal of the Sprint Booster.” .... then.... 1 or 2 or 3+ years latter there is a injector issue or something major, and they say "We have it noted in your file that you had used a sprint booster... so that is why this failed and will not be covered under warranty"

Is possible that they would make a note in the system about past repair "notes" - you would know best about what they might capture and use against one.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Some truth to what you say. Yes, the Sprint Booster would be in your permanent file that any dealership could access when you bring in your car for service.

I remember we would RED FLAG certain cars when we found “Major” modifications such as nitrous oxide, water/alcohol injection, race exhaust modifications, race parts exchanged for regular parts, high-performance chips, etc. etc. We knew that we had to be very careful when denying warranty service and if so, we had to have specific and overwhelming evidence. Not circumstantial evidence.

Just because someone added nitrous oxide to their car and their engine blew up, that is only circumstantial evidence. We would tell the customer: We will tear down your engine to find out the cause of the problem and if it was caused by the nitrous, you will pay. If it was a mechanical OEM defect (not caused by the nitrous), warranty will pay. The customer must sign this before we would start any work. The customer will, with almost 100% certainty know the answer and would normally act accordingly. Either way, the dealership is covered and will not lose money.

Is it possible that his engine suffered a problem prior to him using the nitrous? Is it possible that some other problem (unrelated to the nitrous) caused the problem? The answer to both questions is: Yes.

The Sprint Booster or the VCM Muzzler do not have any history of causing engine failures or problems. On the other hand, the VCM Muzzler will cause less vibration in the engine and longer engine life. Both devices will also cause slightly poorer gas mileage.

Most all Honda/Acura technicians are knowledgeable about these two devices and do not want to risk their reputation making false claims about either device. If an injector went out it is much easier, more profitable and less complicated for the dealership to just replace it under warranty then deal with an irate customer or get pulled off work for a deposition or court lawsuit. Dealerships are really not looking to deny warranty service if they don’t have to. It is not beneficial for them in many ways.

Our dealer owner, at our weekly meetings use to regularly tell us: “Don’t interrupt or slow down the flow of money coming in, as this will interrupt or slow down your commission check.” Pretty much all dealerships operate on this principle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be hesitant... what if from “Hey, your Sprint Booster was the cause of the misfire and we had to remove it. Therefore, this repair is not covered under warranty and we will be charging you $145 for the diagnostic and removal of the Sprint Booster.” .... then.... 1 or 2 or 3+ years latter there is a injector issue or something major, and they say "We have it noted in your file that you had used a sprint booster... so that is why this failed and will not be covered under warranty"

Is possible that they would make a note in the system about past repair "notes" - you would know best about what they might capture and use against one.
My plan with the Sprint Booster is to find a setting that I like for day to day use, then remove the settings cable. At that point there is nothing to really see unless they are really looking for it. I will leave it in there for normal maintenance visits but if I am going in for a repair then it will get removed. I am still on the fence about the VCM Muzzler.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
You have three options being: GREEN (Sport Mode) or RED (Race Mode) or OFF and then with Green or Red, you can adjust from 1 to 9, with 9 being the max response.

I have tried all the settings and found that I like the Green (Sport Mode) on level 9 the best for spring, summer and autumn driving. For winter, I have found that Green 9 is too aggressive for slick streets. I dial it back to Green 2 or 3 or just turn it off, which puts me back to the factory default.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered the V3 Sprint Booster for my 2018 A-Spec AWD 3.5. I also ordered cold air intake. I really like this car, but the engine performance is not good at all. Hoping to get a "feel" of 350 HP even though I can't get there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried the sprint booster v3 on a 2019 SH-AWD? I'm thinking of trying it out but I can't confirm whether it's compatible or not with my year. I don't believe there is any difference between the 2018 and 2019 that should cause an issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just ordered the V3 Sprint Booster for my 2018 A-Spec AWD 3.5. I also ordered cold air intake. I really like this car, but the engine performance is not good at all. Hoping to get a "feel" of 350 HP even though I can't get there.
Try turning off Traction Control. With my 3.5L V6 FWD TLX it almost feels like a different car w/Traction Control off. I do not know if it will make as much of an improvement for you, as it did for mine, but, I now feel like I have a car with plenty of power from the V6 whereas before, I felt like Honda/Acura's programming of the car systems really limited responsiveness/accleration to the point where I was quite frustrated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using sprint booster for a year now with my 2018 Aspec awd... I will not drive the car without it. You can feel the lag with the booster off.... Setting it to sport and 9.... WOW!

I've also tried the traction control being turned off but didn't feel the difference.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
I keep my Sprint Booster on 9 Sport. The vehicle is much more fun to drive as there is no lag. Just remember to turn it down or off on wet, snowy, icy days or it can get out of control. It was a great investment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts