Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of how to install the Spare Tire kit or where I might find dealer installation instructions? The kit itself is kinda pricey, $369, and I was looking to do it myself to avoid dealer installation costs. I read something some where online the drilling might be required for the center bolt that holds the tire in place. The rest should be a "No-Brainer" just swapping out the current foam insert with the new and fitting all the components in the cutouts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bernardi Acura Parts has the spare tire kit pretty cheap $213 here. I may be that the spare tire kit doesn't include the actual tire. So it's probably best to call them and ask.

I have been unable to find any installation instructions for the TLX spare tire installation but I did find one for the 2014 RLX here. There is no drilling for it. Hopefully someone has done it themselves and will respond.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The spare tire kit consist of a wheel, tire, jack, lug wrench and necessary tools needed to operate the jack. The dealer will replace the foam insert so the new kit fits. Also the door sticker that list tire pressures will say spare none. That sticker gets replaced indicating vehicle has a spare and the correct tire inflation pressure. I paid $439 installed.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I believe there is minor drilling involved to affix the mount that the spare tire connects to in order to keep the tire in place.

In addition to your lists above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased Spare Tire Kit. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the rear panel lining. The fasteners are underneath the panel and can't be seen when the panel is installed. Do I just pry the old one off to replace with the panel that came with the kit?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Basically, you just have to get under it a little carefully lift up until the fastener pops out. I used a cheap trim removal kit from Harbor Freight to keep from damaging anything. The instructions kinda give you an idea of how it is removed, but they're not very specific.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the spare tire kit for my 2015 TLX. Got nervous driving around without a spare and finally caved in. It cost $380 total including the tire which is an added cost to the kit. Wisely, I asked how much it would cost for the dealer to install and was told something like $300! No thanks, I'll do it myself.
It took 10 min. Instructions are available via a Google search but really aren't needed. The only thing that isn't obvious is putting in the spacer first before the tire. The new foam insert easily replaces the old one and the tools, jack, etc fit in neatly. If you are capable of changing a flat yourself, installing the kit will be child's play. For what it costs, the dealer should have installed it gratis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is anyone aware of how to install the Spare Tire kit or where I might find dealer installation instructions? The kit itself is kinda pricey, $369, and I was looking to do it myself to avoid dealer installation costs. I read something some where online the drilling might be required for the center bolt that holds the tire in place. The rest should be a "No-Brainer" just swapping out the current foam insert with the new and fitting all the components in the cutouts.
What was your end result? Just realized my 2019 TLX did not come with a replacement tire. Full or doughnut. Where did you get yours, how much and did you install?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts