Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Spare tire

My dealer actually took out the insert from the spare tire well and tried to put a full size spare in, but it definitely does not fit.

Next problem is with the small spare. It is not listed in the dealer's options in Canada. It is available in the US. Does anyone know what the size of the spare should be? I suggested to my dealer to contact Customer Relations to see why this tire is not available to us.
I gave my salesman the spare tire information and he was able to locate all the variou bits and pieces to provide a complete spare tire kit. A bit more expensive than what US customers pay, but, at least I dont have to rely on a pump and goop:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had 801 miles on my new 2015 TLX SHAWD advanced package and away from home in a hotel playing with the Acura link on my Iphone when I noticed the right front tire was low. I went to the car and pressed the overhead button to hear a pleasant voice tell me all the dealers in the area were closed (7 PM Friday). The tire was virtually flat to the ground and I could see damage to the sidewall so I knew the gunk and pump was not going to work for me.
The Acura link service checked the dealers in the area and found one that had Saturday service hours and a loaner car available so I could keep my appointment with a doctor in the morning.
At 7 AM a flatbed picked me and the auto up for a trip to Bedford Hills Acura, Bedford Hills, New York. We arrived as the shop opened about 7:30 and by 7:45 I was on my way in the loaner to the appointment.
I have since purchased the 'temporary wheel kit' and am having trouble installing the foam insert over the spare tire. The original tray I replaced was straight across the back. The new insert has a small bump in the middle of the back line. There were no instructions with the kit.
Has anyone else attempted to self installed this kit and encountered this problem?

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had 801 miles on my new 2015 TLX SHAWD advanced package and away from home in a hotel playing with the Acura link on my Iphone when I noticed the right front tire was low. I went to the car and pressed the overhead button to hear a pleasant voice tell me all the dealers in the area were closed (7 PM Friday). The tire was virtually flat to the ground and I could see damage to the sidewall so I knew the gunk and pump was not going to work for me.
The Acura link service checked the dealers in the area and found one that had Saturday service hours and a loaner car available so I could keep my appointment with a doctor in the morning.
At 7 AM a flatbed picked me and the auto up for a trip to Bedford Hills Acura, Bedford Hills, New York. We arrived as the shop opened about 7:30 and by 7:45 I was on my way in the loaner to the appointment.
I have since purchased the 'temporary wheel kit' and am having trouble installing the foam insert over the spare tire. The original tray I replaced was straight across the back. The new insert has a small bump in the middle of the back line. There were no instructions with the kit.
Has anyone else attempted to self installed this kit and encountered this problem?
Glad to hear that you received excellent road side service.

Also glad you went for the spare tire kit. :)

I had mine installed at the dealer. They had to drill some for the mounting post that holds the tire in place. They also updated my foam insert. The newer foam insert was much thinner in order to fit properly. Sorry I can't help you since the dealer did the work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad to hear that you received excellent road side service.

Also glad you went for the spare tire kit. :)

I had mine installed at the dealer. They had to drill some for the mounting post that holds the tire in place. They also updated my foam insert. The newer foam insert was much thinner in order to fit properly. Sorry I can't help you since the dealer did the work.
I just installed the spare tire kit myself and no drilling required.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed the spare tire kit myself and no drilling required.

Do you have any details or pics of the install?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rubber portion of my spare tire finally arrived after about 6 months. All the other parts were dealer installed at the time I picked up the car in the middle of January. It does not appear that any drilling is required to install the spare (unless the center bolt holding the tire requires drilling and tapping the hole). The original insert holding the inflatour kit needs to be replaced. I think that they also added a small plastic mat for the tire to rest on. The new insert holds all the required tools. Attached photos should clarify the installation.
It is great to finally have my spare tire:)

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just bought some peace of mind...

Ordered my spare tire kit from the local dealer today. Should be in by Friday. Just not thrilled about the thought of being stranded somewhere, due to a lack of cell service..

Reactions: Summest and MTD

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Isn't there some type of tire fill kit for those that don't have the spare option?

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Isn't there some type of tire fill kit for those that don't have the spare option?
Yes. It comes with the car.

When I got the spare kit, I swapped out the big foam for small foam. Both foam sets still have room for the compressor and tools. Of course you get more storage space if you don't go for the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
So you have to give up the deep storage cubby for the spare to fit?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can someone who bought the spare tire confirm if drilling is required to install it? If so, what exactly is involved? Drilling to insert the bolt that holds the tire in place?

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Can someone who bought the spare tire confirm if drilling is required to install it? If so, what exactly is involved? Drilling to insert the bolt that holds the tire in place?
I was told there was drilling done to mount a bracket to hold the tire in place. I did not verify this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was told there was drilling done to mount a bracket to hold the tire in place. I did not verify this.
Got it, thanks for the info Summest. Maybe I'll just order it online and try to do it myself. If it is complicated or too weird of an install, I can always just take it in and have them do it. Worth it to try to give it a shot on my own lol

21 - 40 of 63 Posts