Acura TLX Forum banner

Get a Spare Tire Kit, stay with what you have, or make other plans?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your new 2015 TLX does not come with a spare tire but it does come with a Tire Sealant and Inflator Kit.

Will you buy the Spare Tire Kit, make do with the Tire Sealant and Inflator Kit or make other arrangements?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am not ready to give up my spare tire. I like the option of being able to get myself back on the road without assistance, if at all possible. I guess times are a changing, so maybe on my next purchase I will adapt and go with the flow. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
spare tire kit

My salesman was able to find all the parts (rim, tire jack mounting hardware etc). So I ordered the kit and hope it will be here when my car finally arrives (Nov 22-28). We enjoy driving to the end of the road and I don't want to have to rely on an inflator kit to get me to a service station in case of a more serious tire failure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i am ok with the inflator, but unfortunately its quite tedious to use as it uses the accessory outlet and eats a lot of power and hence you have to put your car on idle for prolonged periods of time to fill up the tires with air

i wish it runs on batteries

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't find the amount of time excessive or the processes tedious. Unwrap the power cord and plug it in. Unwrap the appropriate air fill or tire repair hose and connect it to the valve. Start the engine and switch the compressor to the required setting, and wait a few minutes for the lights to flash. Then reverse the process. I had to do it a couple of times for two tires and it was not a burden. A battery unit would be heavier and batteries do not last forever.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never used the spare on 2000 TL

Had a 2000 TL for almost 15 years and never used the spare. I guess that I prefer the extra space of the repair kit that I probably will never use either.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a 2000 TL for almost 15 years and never used the spare. I guess that I prefer the extra space of the repair kit that I probably will never use either.
Actually there is no space lost. Of course the added weight is still there. When you get the spare tire you get a thinner piece of foam. :)

It's a gamble that you're must likely to win, but I am not much of a gambler.:)

If I didn't drive so much with a lot of it out of city limits, I would tend to feel the same way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My car does not have the foam trunk, It has the plastic bins. So I think I do have more space. No way that the spare takes up the same space as the kit.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point! I have no data on that.

How did you get the plastic bins? I thought that was a Canadian option? :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
It just came that way. Did not know there were multiple until I read the owner's manual.

Mine is a graphite/ebony US SH-AWD with Advance package.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My salesman was able to find all the parts (rim, tire jack mounting hardware etc). So I ordered the kit and hope it will be here when my car finally arrives (Nov 22-28). We enjoy driving to the end of the road and I don't want to have to rely on an inflator kit to get me to a service station in case of a more serious tire failure.
Really sorry :crying: to resurrect the spare tire topic, but I'm still waiting on the tire for my rim. Just wondering if anyone has purchased the spare tire option recently (especially in Canada)? Where may I be able to acquire the tire?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems that acquiring rubber to fit the rim is not easy to find in Canada . After some searching my parts manager at the Acura dealership in Saskatoon was able to locate the proper size tire from somewhere in the US . The whole process of acquiring the spare tire kit and the tire took him about a month . It is all now installed in the trunk space with the inflator as backup . Like with my previous 2004 TL,I hope it just sits there for the next 10 years , but giving me the piece of mind I was looking for.
SH-AWD elite

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Seems that acquiring rubber to fit the rim is not easy to find in Canada . After some searching my parts manager at the Acura dealership in Saskatoon was able to locate the proper size tire from somewhere in the US . The whole process of acquiring the spare tire kit and the tire took him about a month . It is all now installed in the trunk space with the inflator as backup . Like with my previous 2004 TL,I hope it just sits there for the next 10 years , but giving me the piece of mind I was looking for.
SH-AWD elite
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

I agree. Peace of mind is most important. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Or be adventurous and live on the wild side. I am thinking of a road trip this summer to the east coast - no a spare tire.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or be adventurous and live on the wild side. I am thinking of a road trip this summer to the east coast - no a spare tire.
Living on the edge.:eek:

But be safe and wear a seat-belt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SH-AWD elite
Many thanks for the information. I passed it on to my dealer. Hope to get a positive answer and my spare 'rubber'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spare for me

Only reason I will get one is because I spend a significant amount of time driving out of cell phone range. Will use the sealant and pump first and the spare as a backup. Of course will likely never need it.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
To my understanding 06421-TZ3-A90ZA is the Spare Tire Kit for the 2015 and 2016 TLX with Advance Package. This kit includes the wheel, adapter, tool box assembly, spare tire pan, wheel wrench, jack assembly and jack bar.

The tire (T135/80D17) (103M) is sold separately.

This is the kit that I purchased. I then took the wheel up to my local NTB (National Tire & Brake) shop, for which they had to order me the tire (took 2 days), then add in mounting and balancing and it was around $95.

If I had to do it again, I would have just bought the spare tire kit at the Acura dealership at the time of purchase. The savings wasn't enough to justify all the inconvenience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts