Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I do not own TLX yet but will get one home this weekend.
I have couple of questions for current owners though...

1. I called Acura service to find out about rust proofing on new Acuras(I live in Chicago area), they say Acuras come factory rust proofed and no need to proof them again. I also own a 1997 Accord(brought new and rust proofed), even after 18 years, I see rust spots only on couple of door bottoms. So, considering comments posted by few other owners, I am thinking of going for just under body rust proofing for my TLX since the body panels may have insulation that I do not want to disturb. What do you say?

2. Also, I really want to keep this car for long and I hate paint chips on bumper and hood so thinking about clear paint protection film on bumper and partial hood. My question to you is... will there be any future issues with putting sticky film on the car body like yellowing, pealing off/cuts that would make it look dirty? Appreciate comments from those who have experience with such clear films. I have a quote for $650, is that reasonable?

Thank you in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi All,

I do not own TLX yet but will get one home this weekend.
I have couple of questions for current owners though...

1. I called Acura service to find out about rust proofing on new Acuras(I live in Chicago area), they say Acuras come factory rust proofed and no need to proof them again. I also own a 1997 Accord(brought new and rust proofed), even after 18 years, I see rust spots only on couple of door bottoms. So, considering comments posted by few other owners, I am thinking of going for just under body rust proofing for my TLX since the body panels may have insulation that I do not want to disturb. What do you say?

2. Also, I really want to keep this car for long and I hate paint chips on bumper and hood so thinking about clear paint protection film on bumper and partial hood. My question to you is... will there be any future issues with putting sticky film on the car body like yellowing, pealing off/cuts that would make it look dirty? Appreciate comments from those who have experience with such clear films. I have a quote for $650, is that reasonable?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. Good luck with the acquisition.

I am very happy with my TLX and hope you will be as well. :)

While waiting for an answer, try using the search tool for both questions. I remember discussions on both topics. There has been recent talk about protective films.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the links. I don't think they address my questions, I guess the concerns I posted are sort of personal choices anyway.

I will be getting 2.4 with Tech, still not sure about color combo. My first color choice of BCP/Espresso was trashed by my wife, so may be settling with GLM/Ebony.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
As far as the rust proofing from the factory goes, most vehicles have some sort of rust warranty so maybe that's what they're referring to. I don't know of any vehicle having any sort of permanent rust proofing though. I'm sure it would be part of a marketing strategy if that were the case.

I think the plastic coating that you're talking about depends on the colour you get. I've heard in other forums that a lighter car may show the plastic discolouring over time. If you have a dark car that's less of a worry. I had it on my last car and since it didn't wrap around the leading edge of the hood I still managed to get a few rock chips where it started. I'm sure it helps though. The cost for my Civic Si was just over $300 for the leading edge of the hood, the mirrors, and the leading edge of the front fenders.

I guess both situations depend on how long you keep the car as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped by at local dealer to take one more look at graphite luster metallic before I head out on this weekend to get one. I think I started to like it over other colors now.
Hope the car I get will not have of the issues mentioned in the forum. I am a fan of Honda(my 1997 accord still drives excellent, not sure why I need a new car), now hopefully will feel the same with Acura.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Havent had any issues with mine. Remember, forums like this are a great place to vent. For every one person that has a problem ,there are probably 50 that don't. You just never hear from them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sort of knew what to look for when I brought my Accord long time back(make sure it has a steering wheel, 4 wheels, engine etc. LOL), With modern cars with all sorts of technology and various safety systems, what would you look and make sure you are satisfied before you take delivery of the vehicle? I know it is not feasible to check every single feature while taking delivery of the vehicle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't have much choice to look at many vehicles anyway, transaction went pretty much smooth except I had to stand firm to bring the price to my price.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
With modern cars with all sorts of technology and various safety systems, what would you look and make sure you are satisfied before you take delivery of the vehicle? I know it is not feasible to check every single feature while taking delivery of the vehicle.
Didn't have much choice to look at many vehicles anyway, transaction went pretty much smooth except I had to stand firm to bring the price to my price.
Hope you got the TLX you wanted.

With a lot of the technology, you learn more about the tech after the you get car in your hands. I spent many times idling with the AC on learning about my car. Enjoy.

Remember, if anything is wrong, it is under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts