Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that I am no mechanic.

I am, however, very observant.. and slightly OCD.

Note: Today, my car hit 7025 miles...

While I was driving home from work, I took the long route home, as to avoid rush hour traffic. The long way home, though, has many stoplights. There are probably 15 or more. My car was doing its normal thing (jerking every time it shifted from 2-3, and my downshifts lately have been getting worse.)

I was sitting at a light about half way through my commute, when I heard a distinct "pop" under my hood. I felt the pop in my brake pedal and under my seat (it was not a normal sound.) It happened while idling and at the pop, my RPMs surged. I thought "great, there is another issue with the transmission." I thought it was on its last leg.

Then, something amazing happened.

For the rest of the ride home, not one...single...poor.. shift. I was in amazement. I was so shocked that I stopped by a restaurant to grab dinner, just to see if when I turned my car off and then back on, if it would continue. It did...

I drove home. I left the car off for about 1.5 hours, and then ran to the grocery store. The entire drive, minus one tiny little bump was smooth.

I don't know what sorcery this is.. but I do know that with each variation my transmission performs in, it tells me that something is not right with it. I wanted to drive immediately to my service department and say DRIVE IT, please! This is how the car is supposed to drive.

Maybe my car has finally decided that today was the day she would be broken in properly. I don't know.

Another observation: it seems to take a little more distance in my gas pedal to get up and going when pressed. It is kind of like the throttle was adjusted with the pop.

We will see how she drives tomorrow.

Maybe it was Jupiter and Venus lining up. Maybe my car is teasing me...

Wes

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Are you taking any sort of cold medicine? Painkillers maybe?

I'm kidding. I would like to say it's good news but I would think a big change all of a sudden probably isn't a good thing. See how it behaves over the next while. Maybe something got adjusted at the stoplight.....or the gremlin fell out of his perch under your hood.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you taking any sort of cold medicine? Painkillers maybe?

I'm kidding. I would like to say it's good news but I would think a big change all of a sudden probably isn't a good thing. See how it behaves over the next while. Maybe something got adjusted at the stoplight.....or the gremlin fell out of his perch under your hood.
At least if I were taking medication, it could explain the differences in the multiple personalities that my car has.

I would also accept "gremlin under hood" as a line item on a service invoice, if that meant the car was fixed.

You are correct, a big sudden change is probably not a good thing. It also means that this is probably not permanent. I wouldn't be surprised if the car reverted to shifting poorly again tomorrow. I will at least remember this evening, and all of the joy it brought me. :laugh:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...now for more cough medicine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
So I too am now waiting for a pop, albeit a milder one....

Keep us updated Wes!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Kind of surprised its happening that late into the process since it seems it would be a thing the vehicle overcomes during the break in process... which your vehicle seems to be past.

Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Best take her to the Acura spa for diagnosis. Might be signs of early menopause. No telling what you'll wake up to tomorrow. >:D

No offense meant :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seems like some strange behaviors in my 2005 European Honda Civic.
At some points, I were feeling like a power and response increase like the car's computer was changing of profile. At service they told me it is normal as there is some electronic protections to avoid too bad break-in of the car.
The most noticeable one was near 24/25000kms (I don't remember exactly - probably computer was counting in miles as if I remember well I counted a round number in miles). I was on the highway (at 130km/h) without cruise control and foot steady on the pedal. Suddently the car started to speed up ... We were 4 in the car and my passengers felt it too. A little kick of power and car speeding up... I released my foot to slow a little, and tried to push it hard to see if this was another "boost" from electronic break-in. Car was more responsive !
Maybe the same thing happened to you, but the noise is strange... If it were electronic you may not heard it...

It would be great if other people facing this issue and having more miles would be able to tell their feelings ! (it will take me a few months to go to 7500miles...)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, she has started to behave badly again. Some of the old habits are coming back. It was a good day of smooth shifting, for whatever reason. Maybe one day it will come back. This transmission is not reliable or stable though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, she has started to behave badly again. Some of the old habits are coming back. It was a good day of smooth shifting, for whatever reason. Maybe one day it will come back. This transmission is not reliable or stable though.
Let me preface this by saying that I am no mechanic.

I am, however, very observant.. and slightly OCD.

Note: Today, my car hit 7025 miles...

While I was driving home from work, I took the long route home, as to avoid rush hour traffic. The long way home, though, has many stoplights. There are probably 15 or more. My car was doing its normal thing (jerking every time it shifted from 2-3, and my downshifts lately have been getting worse.)

I was sitting at a light about half way through my commute, when I heard a distinct "pop" under my hood. I felt the pop in my brake pedal and under my seat (it was not a normal sound.) It happened while idling and at the pop, my RPMs surged. I thought "great, there is another issue with the transmission." I thought it was on its last leg.

Then, something amazing happened.

For the rest of the ride home, not one...single...poor.. shift. I was in amazement. I was so shocked that I stopped by a restaurant to grab dinner, just to see if when I turned my car off and then back on, if it would continue. It did...

I drove home. I left the car off for about 1.5 hours, and then ran to the grocery store. The entire drive, minus one tiny little bump was smooth.

I don't know what sorcery this is.. but I do know that with each variation my transmission performs in, it tells me that something is not right with it. I wanted to drive immediately to my service department and say DRIVE IT, please! This is how the car is supposed to drive.

Maybe my car has finally decided that today was the day she would be broken in properly. I don't know.

Another observation: it seems to take a little more distance in my gas pedal to get up and going when pressed. It is kind of like the throttle was adjusted with the pop.

We will see how she drives tomorrow.

Maybe it was Jupiter and Venus lining up. Maybe my car is teasing me...

Wes
I had the same thing happen in my car (V6 AWD Advance received Dec 19 2014) sitting at a stoplight in traffic on a warmer day about 2 weeks back -- large pop/bang, and the engine revved a bit even as the car was engaged with the brake hold. Scared the #$ out of me, but no indicator lights went on and everything seemed normal since then.

I've historically had the same transmission issues as you have, with a *very* pronounced late downshift when slowing at a stop sign, 1/2 second stop, and proceeding leading to a bad kick as it jerkily went into gear. I had some issues on the 1->2 and 2->3 shifts being less refined than you'd expect, while all the other shifts above 3rd were silky smooth and very even in power. These issues were muted during the depth of the Boston winter and as weather became steadily warm in June. In May, I got more issues as temperatures here bounced around from 40 to 80 degF day to day. By the way, yes, the snowfields from our blizzards *still* have 12 foot mounds of snow even in mid-July -- locals calling them glaciers now.

After the pop, I didn't notice any other transmission issues, but only drove for 4 miles that day so not a great comparison. Given the issues have been less pronounced in the summer heat, I can't tell if there has been a significant difference after the pop in subsequent drives.

I took my car in for A1 service at 7050 miles yesterday (10% oil condition, free service by dealer in 1st year incl. free carwash), and mentioned the transmission issues and inquired about any updates especially with 2016's right around the corner (and a minor door hinge squeal that just needed a bit of grease). They indicated they'd research this, and said there were no new updates to transmission software, but went ahead and did a transmission re-learn -- about 1.5 hours to do this. They told me repeatedly and stressed heavily to drive the car gently and easy on the accelerator for the first 80 miles after the re-learn, which I'm doing now.

So far after 40 miles, the jerk at stop signs is completely gone. The gear shifts all the way up to gear 5 are a bit more pronounced, but I am driving a lot lighter on the pedal than I normally would as directed by dealer and I'm only halfway through the re-learn.

Will keep you updated after I get out of the 80 mile re-learn period, but really hoping that late downshift to 1st at stop signs is gone for good.

And for good measure, I hand waxed her yesterday too after the dealer carwash
:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
This transmission is not reliable or stable though.
Not stable - agree as there are different experiences across the board, mostly all good and some bad.

Not reliable - disagree as this is usually associated with a transmission breakdown and that does not seem to be the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts