Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i upgraded my Galaxy S4 to Lollipop 5.0.1. The upgrade took a bit of time since the file size was 947 MB. But let me skip ahead to when I got in my TLX with this new version of Android.

I was glad to see that I could still receive text messages, hear them being read and being able to reply.

Then just for kicks I tried the email setup. You can only select SMS or Email, but you can switch back and forth.

Previously I couldn't access the Email options. They were grayed out. Today I was able to see my email folders and access all emails except for those in the Inbox. Of course the inbox is important but I was surprised it works so much better. Could it have been the update to ELS and the getting Lollipop? I need to play around with it more to see if I can get into the Inbox. When I switch back and forth between SMS and email, I can see it pull over data for each. Crazy. It almost fully works.
:eek:
Also with Lollipop, I noticed there is more information appearing on the LCD screens as far as artist info with Bluetooth streaming from Tune-In Radio. Wonder if I will find out any other things tomorrow.

I was just surprised that the email portion looks a lot better than it did yesterday.
:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm using a Note 4 on Kit Kat, and the TLX doesn't see my email. I think its because I'm using the Gmail app as my default email instead of the default Touchwiz email app.

Maybe with the way Lollipop is structured, TLX can now detect Google's Gmail app. Touchwiz is less deeply embedded with on Lollipop, so actual Android shines through.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Once the phone is paired with the car, on your iPhone, go to Settings, Bluetooth, and you should see Handsfreelink. Select the i and ensure Show Notifications is on (i.e not greyed out).

That should do it. Keep in mind with the iPhone you will receive texts but you won't be able to reply through the vehicle. If you need to reply just use Siri.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can't believe how far behind the iPhone is with MAP technology like this. It is sad. I want my toys to be fully compatible with my TLX.
At least with Apple products, when there's an update, it rolls out to all Apple devices everywhere, with Android, there's been a big delay with various nations getting updates.

I think Android L is STILL being rolled out and it's been out for over a year now.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least with Apple products, when there's an update, it rolls out to all Apple devices everywhere, with Android, there's been a big delay with various nations getting updates.

I think Android L is STILL being rolled out and it's been out for over a year now.
My Galaxy S4 with KitKat or Lollipop works fine. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
For some reason my TLX stop receiving text messages and never on emails.
I tried pairing my iphone 5s again but still not working. The notification is ON and still not receiving.
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
For some reason my TLX stop receiving text messages and never on emails.
I tried pairing my iphone 5s again but still not working. The notification is ON and still not receiving.
Am I missing something?

When you paired the phone the 2nd time did you delete the phone from the car's list of phones? That might help. When you re-pair the phone make sure show notifications is selected.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I really don't have any other suggestions other than to delete Handsfreelink in the Bluetooth listings on your phone before you reconnect as well as your phone from the list on the car. . Other than that I don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't believe I am finally receiving texts on my TLX! After 9 months of unsuccessful phone calls to customer relations and web searches, I figured this one out on my own.
My phone model is the iPhone 6S.
Here are the instructions, including the ones we have all seen multiple times on the TLX Owner's Guide:

1. On your TLX:
Select SETTINGS> Phone Settings> Select Account (MAP MAS iOS should be indicated here) > select Text Messages or an e-mail account.

2. On your iPhone (make sure it is paired with your vehicle)
Select SETTINGS> Bluetooth> HandsFreeLink> Switch "Show Notifications" to on.

3. Still on your iPhone, and my discovery this evening!!! ?
Select SETTINGS> Notifications> Messages> Switch "Show on Lock Screen" to on.

In the past I always kept the feature above on to prevent my text messages from being read should my phone be lost/ stolen, and this is what was preventing my text messages from being sent to my TLX. I am still not comfortable allowing texts to show on my locked screen, but I am definitely happy that my recently purchased 2015 vehicle CAN receive text messages.

Notes:

1. If the instructions above do not work, and you use iMessage, try changing it to SMS instead. ( SETTINGS> Messages> turn iMessage off)

2. When trying to reply to the received text using one of the preset reply messages, I am receiving the error "Message failed to send properly, please try again later." On another post I learned that this is currently an issue, so you might want to try to send your reply again much, much later in the future OR you may reply using Siri OR simply call the person who wrote you.

I hope this information helps you and others!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I can't believe I am finally receiving texts on my TLX! After 9 months of unsuccessful phone calls to customer relations and web searches, I figured this one out on my own.
My phone model is the iPhone 6S.
Here are the instructions, including the ones we have all seen multiple times on the TLX Owner's Guide:

1. On your TLX:
Select SETTINGS> Phone Settings> Select Account (MAP MAS iOS should be indicated here) > select Text Messages or an e-mail account.

2. On your iPhone (make sure it is paired with your vehicle)
Select SETTINGS> Bluetooth> HandsFreeLink> Switch "Show Notifications" to on.

3. Still on your iPhone, and my discovery this evening!!! ?
Select SETTINGS> Notifications> Messages> Switch "Show on Lock Screen" to on.

In the past I always kept the feature above on to prevent my text messages from being read should my phone be lost/ stolen, and this is what was preventing my text messages from being sent to my TLX. I am still not comfortable allowing texts to show on my locked screen, but I am definitely happy that my recently purchased 2015 vehicle CAN receive text messages.

Notes:

1. If the instructions above do not work, and you use iMessage, try changing it to SMS instead. ( SETTINGS> Messages> turn iMessage off)

2. When trying to reply to the received text using one of the preset reply messages, I am receiving the error "Message failed to send properly, please try again later." On another post I learned that this is currently an issue, so you might want to try to send your reply again much, much later in the future OR you may reply using Siri OR simply call the person who wrote you.

I hope this information helps you and others!
Apple does not implement the ability to reply from the vehicle. It's not an issue with the implementation. It's the Apple design. I use Siri if I have to reply to a text while driving.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.