Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get small vibrations when driving around 40mph and 60mph? I brought my car into Acura and they told me that this is how the car should drive. They continued to say that these mph were the car's sweet spots. If I keep my car at 40mph +- 1or2 mph then I will get small vibrations. Same thing goes for 60mph. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these issues or normalities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone else get small vibrations when driving around 40mph and 60mph? I brought my car into Acura and they told me that this is how the car should drive. They continued to say that these mph were the car's sweet spots. If I keep my car at 40mph +- 1or2 mph then I will get small vibrations. Same thing goes for 60mph. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these issues or normalities.
I did incounter this at about the 40 mph, but I don't recalled at 60 mph. I figure that it is the sweet spot for the trainy to change gear. I think most car have that same issue, my Nissan Maxima did have it at different speed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did incounter this at about the 40 mph, but I don't recalled at 60 mph. I figure that it is the sweet spot for the trainy to change gear. I think most car have that same issue, my Nissan Maxima did have it at different speed.
Of all the odd things that I've noticed with mine, this isn't one of them. I can't see why it would be considered normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have read about the vibration issue on other forums. My 07 TL never had any vibration issues and I would not consider vibrations normal. I know that some were thinking it was the VCM changing number of active cylinders (V6 only).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm guessing what you are feeling is the engine lugging a little bit. This would be more noticeable in a 4 cyl (like mine). The way the cars are programmed to shift for max fuel efficiency they are reluctant to downshift. Take a look at the tachometer when you feel the vibration, I'm going to predict it is in the 1,400 - 1,500 area and you may be climbing a slight grade - this is completely normal, although slightly annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is exactly what is happening. Is there anything that can be done or is this something that I am stuck with?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX with a 6 cylinder engine. I too noticed extra vibration in the 1300-1500 RPM range. In that range, it would sometimes become a little stronger during deceleration. However, the vibration wasn't always constant.

After some research, I believe it is the result of VCM system used by Honda/Acura. On the 6 cylinder engines, Acura uses VCM to increase (marginally) gas mileage by deactivating 1 to 3 cylinders during light engine use (cruising on flat stretch of road).

You can hear about VCM here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yE5V7raQNM

Right now, I am looking for a way to deactivate VCM. I haven't talked with the dealer service department yet about VCM deactivation. I am not sure they would be very helpful. They didn't even mention VCM when I asked them about the vibration.

If anyone here has any ideas, please let me know.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have a 2015 TLX with a 6 cylinder engine. I too noticed extra vibration in the 1300-1500 RPM range. In that range, it would sometimes become a little stronger during deceleration. However, the vibration wasn't always constant.

After some research, I believe it is the result of VCM system used by Honda/Acura. On the 6 cylinder engines, Acura uses VCM to increase (marginally) gas mileage by deactivating 1 to 3 cylinders during light engine use (cruising on flat stretch of road).

You can hear about VCM here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yE5V7raQNM

Right now, I am looking for a way to deactivate VCM. I haven't talked with the dealer service department yet about VCM deactivation. I am not sure they would be very helpful. They didn't even mention VCM when I asked them about the vibration.

If anyone here has any ideas, please let me know.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I am sure someone can offer help if you haven't found anything in the forum.

When you get a chance, please check-in and tell us about yourself and your TLX. Apparently you have the V6. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a brand new 4 Cly tech and am really unhappy about a buzzy vibration coming through steering wheel and pedals. Can feel it most of the time but it's especially pronounced around 1500 rpm.

Dealership documented it but said they felt same in another car on lot.

With the hood open, the engine has a pronounced rattle...

Not the joy I was expecting when I made the plunge for a luxury car!

Am I s.o.l.?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Did they try to fix it at all or just document it? If it's something that you don't think is right, push them. Speak to the service manager and then Acura customer service if the manager won't help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a brand new 4 Cly tech and am really unhappy about a buzzy vibration coming through steering wheel and pedals. Can feel it most of the time but it's especially pronounced around 1500 rpm.

Dealership documented it but said they felt same in another car on lot.

With the hood open, the engine has a pronounced rattle...

Not the joy I was expecting when I made the plunge for a luxury car!

Am I s.o.l.?
You should insist with the dealer. I have no vibration in my car, except the rear deck because the subwoofer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No Joy from dealer.
They claim that they put it side-by-side with another car on the lot and felt the same vibration. Documented it but no help.
Am supposed to have the regional service rep look at it at some point...

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
No Joy from dealer.
They claim that they put it side-by-side with another car on the lot and felt the same vibration. Documented it but no help.
Am supposed to have the regional service rep look at it at some point...

Let us know how you make out. There are others who have the same issue. It doesn't seem like an obvious fix has been found...so far. A well discussed theory is that it's the VCM on the V6.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't know if this is the same but it seems I have vibrations from the tires when they are cold ! Took me a while to find that... Hard to think I would be pleased if they don't last for long...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm getting a vibration at highway speeds when I'm cruising. Almost feels like a balancing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never mind. Not balancing. Steering wheel not shaking. My understanding is that this is "normal operation" due to the VCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
What about rear wheels?

I agree though. It seems that it may be the VCM according to what I've seen online. It doesn't seem to be as bad for all drivers though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm getting intermittent but noticeable vibrations from the car near and above highway speeds. Just now, I did 120Km/H on the highway and the vibrations can be felt throughout the car. Front and rear passengers felt it too. After I dropped them off, did 120Km/H on the way home as well and put my hand on the front passenger seat. I can literally feel the seats vibrate in my hands. I've already taken it into service three times, twice to Markham Acura and once yesterday to Acura of North Toronto. Each time, they say there was no abnormal vibration and tell me to continue monitor it. The service adviser even asked me to record the vibrations while the car is in motion. I asked him, "How am I supposed to record vibrations?" At this point, I give up trying to fix this problem. I am convinced that the issue is related to the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires, the suspension, wheel balance, and/or a combination of them. A mechanic friend of mine said maybe my tires developed flat spots while it was sitting at the compound.

Maybe I'll contact the assistant sales manager again and let him know I'm very unhappy with the vibrations and see what he can do for me.

I should mention that my friend's 2007 Honda Civic, my 2000 Volvo S70 and 2014 Acura ILX, and girlfriend's 2005 Toyota Camry vibrates considerably less on the same stretch of highway at similar speeds.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts