Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SLIGHTLY overinflate your tires for better gas mileage?

i think it's common knowledge that one should keep your tire pressure in check according to what's posted on the driver's seat

and i think it's also common knowledge that you should not overinflate your tires beyond the tire manufacturer's specifications so your tires do not explode. you can find the max value embossed on the tire itself, and its usually 50psi for most common tires

but has anybody tried slightly over-inflating your tires by maybe about 10-15% more than the car's posted recommended pressure (but of course not going over the tire's max value)? people say that the ride will be a bit bumpier but your gas mileage will improve a bit....

YMMV of course

·
Registered
727 Posts
In winter i overfill my tires by about that much just so it's easier for the tires to cut through snow and so that when i go from extreme cold to heated garages (which i do a lot of) I wont' be too far away from the PSI range it's suppose to be at.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I think mine has never seen 50psi. Mid to upper 30s maybe. I think I keep it around 32 to 35, but I would have to check.

With more pressure, you get less grip on the road, less friction, better gas mileage, but increase a chance of lost control. The tire also wears uneven from the inside toward out.

With less pressure, you get more grip on the road, snow or sand, more friction, less gas mileage, but a decrease in lost control. The tire also wears uneven from the outside in.

I only have seen people let air out of their tires when they wanted to get out of soft sand. Definitely cold does have an effect on pressure, but we don't see it that cold down here.

So I guess with the correct pressure you get decent grip on the road, average friction, decent gas mileage, and a decent amount of control. The tire also wears out evenly, hopefully lasting longer.

From what I have been told and seen. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
In winter i overfill my tires by about that much just so it's easier for the tires to cut through snow and so that when i go from extreme cold to heated garages (which i do a lot of) I wont' be too far away from the PSI range it's suppose to be at.
Same here, I go over with 3 PSI on winter and summer tires.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do it on my bicycle all the time actually, deflate them if I'm out in the rain though. The method is actually surprisingly effective if you drive a ponderous car like an old Lincoln Town Car ;) really ups the excitement levels ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always over inflate my tires on my cars. Not a lot a few PSI. I like the bump to go with my Bass.

Also I'm too darn lazy to go to get air all the time especially I get gas from Costco that doesn't have any convenient air refill station.

But If I travel long distance, I set it to recommended.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same here, I go over with 3 PSI on winter and summer tires.
You might want to push it up even more. I don't think 3 PSI would make much of a difference. I know some people who have been going up as much as 10 psi for years and have said they loved the difference.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
You might want to push it up even more. I don't think 3 PSI would make much of a difference. I know some people who have been going up as much as 10 psi for years and have said they loved the difference.
I'd be afraid I would lose traction with less rubber on the road. I haven't driven in snow in a long time, but heavy rains can cause you to hydroplane and lose control with too much tire pressure.

I guess there is no fear of this in snow and ice? Maybe I am over paranoid.

Just curious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts