Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost bought the vehicle yesterday. The dealership was closing so we didn't sign any paper but I did give them my credit card information for $1000 down (though I haven't signed a single document).

I test drove Mercedes CLA 250 and C-300, Subaru Legacy, Camry, Buick Verano & Encore, Corolla, Subaru Impreza, Acura ILX ( 2015 and 2016) .... after driving TLX .. I liked it and decided to get that. 34K + TTL + some freebies amounting to about $450.

My DVD-A's didn't play and I came back home to research and started to find out of 'transmission' issues. The interesting part is during test drive I did feel 'bumpiness' and asked the sales guy and he said it was the roads!

I have a lease TSX that expires next month. I can extend it for 6 months to a year at same payment as I am today.

Another option is to lease the TLX.

Looking for some opinions and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I can't speak for the 4 cylinder model as I never drove it. Having said that, I am very happy with the car.

If you have any doubts about the way the transmission was acting ask if you could drive another one. It will let you know if it was that one in particular or if it is fact the behaviour of the car. Also try different driving modes to see if that makes a difference.

How did you like the other cars that you drove and how did the TLX compare? I'm guessing you liked it the best but were there any other front runners?

·
Registered
666 Posts
We have all been conditioned to feel that we must act right now because if we don't this deal/opportunity will go away. Not so. There will always be another deal so take your time and do the research. Make sure this is the dealer that you "want" to give your business to and that the car is right for you.

So ask for an extended test drive (4 hrs or a day). If the reports of transmission issues cause you concern then point that out to the dealer and state that you need to test drive your "purchased" vehicle before taking delivery to make sure that it is fine (mostly likely will be fine). If does not drive like your extended test drive vehicle then reject it.

DVD-A will not play but they can be converted to multiple DTS-CD's. Not quite as convenient but will produce equivalent sound.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the previous two posters. Take your time, test drive for an extended period and make sure the salesman and dealership are who you want to have your business. I have the V6 FWD Advance model and have not test driven the 4 cylinder so I can't really comment on it. I am very happy with the V6, with my salesman, and my dealership. I have some history with my dealership (2008 TL, 2010 TSX, and 2012 TSX) and have been very satisfied.:)

I checked on buying versus leasing and determined that I couldn't really afford to buy the car. The mileage I drive a year makes leasing very attractive. Additionally, my car is 80 to 90 percent computer and, I figure, would be very pricey to repair once the warranties went away if I purchased.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have all been conditioned to feel that we must act right now because if we don't this deal/opportunity will go away. Not so. There will always be another deal so take your time and do the research. Make sure this is the dealer that you "want" to give your business to and that the car is right for you.

So ask for an extended test drive (4 hrs or a day). If the reports of transmission issues cause you concern then point that out to the dealer and state that you need to test drive your "purchased" vehicle before taking delivery to make sure that it is fine (mostly likely will be fine). If does not drive like your extended test drive vehicle then reject it.

DVD-A will not play but they can be converted to multiple DTS-CD's. Not quite as convenient but will produce equivalent sound.
You are correct about the deals ... all the dealers in my area (not considering the trim) have 100+ TLX in stock! I was looking for the TLX (or a newer car for that matter) for the newer safety features that my TSX doesn't have.

I didn't know there was something like extended test drive. Dealer is ok - have bought two Acura's from them in past. Not the best service, but they are about .25 mile away from my house - so convenient for service and such.

It really a disappointment that they removed the DVD-A format.

I can't speak for the 4 cylinder model as I never drove it. Having said that, I am very happy with the car.

If you have any doubts about the way the transmission was acting ask if you could drive another one. It will let you know if it was that one in particular or if it is fact the behaviour of the car. Also try different driving modes to see if that makes a difference.

How did you like the other cars that you drove and how did the TLX compare? I'm guessing you liked it the best but were there any other front runners?
I use to own a Camry (98 model which I drove for 5 years) and it drove so smooth ... the newer Camry didn't feel the same. None of the cars I drove I liked except for the TLX.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the previous two posters. Take your time, test drive for an extended period and make sure the salesman and dealership are who you want to have your business. I have the V6 FWD Advance model and have not test driven the 4 cylinder so I can't really comment on it. I am very happy with the V6, with my salesman, and my dealership. I have some history with my dealership (2008 TL, 2010 TSX, and 2012 TSX) and have been very satisfied.:)

I checked on buying versus leasing and determined that I couldn't really afford to buy the car. The mileage I drive a year makes leasing very attractive. Additionally, my car is 80 to 90 percent computer and, I figure, would be very pricey to repair once the warranties went away if I purchased.:eek:
Thanks for your advice folks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with all the comments above, but I would add one suggestion.

When I was test driving I designed a test drive route to test all the performance features I considered important to my decision. I was a 120 mile route that included freeway, country road, city, curvy hills, etc. I made sure to not only drive any car that I was interested in after the usual dealership test drive, but also the current family car.

Since I had driven the family car on the same route I could really see/feel any differences. You should also make sure the electronics will work acceptably. On one extended test drive I found that if I listened to podcasts via Bluetooth it would crash the nav system.

If a dealership isn't confident enough to let you take an extended test drive, then you shouldn't be confident in them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great points made by all. I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring on the tranny issues. Those complaints, in my opinion have been valid. Not just by those of us who have had problems and whined about them here but also by a few who write for the car rags. I will also add that with the last software update that I received, I'm ok with how my TLX shifts. There has been one more update that I haven't taken mine in for yet. I will because I'd bet a dollar that the latest would be even better.

I think its somewhat safe to say that this reported problem has quieted down a lot on this forum and that's a good thing.

Take your time, don't buy in haste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I test drove the TLX again several times and some other cars too ... yesterday the two Infinity Q40 / Q50. The only one left to try is Lexus IS ... but for the same features it is will cost a bit more.

I am in love with the TLX ... the drive, quietness, smooth, sound system and the safety features (though did wish there was an option to add adaptive cruise control).

I didn't feel the transmission issues. You can feel the gears changing but I feel the same way in my TSX. I think I am going for it ... just can't get the TLX out of my head.

Now it is to pricing ... will post what the final decision is.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am in love with the TLX ... the drive, quietness, smooth, sound system and the safety features (though did wish there was an option to add adaptive cruise control).
There is an option. It is called the Advance (or Elite in Canada) trim level. Go for it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
There is no Elite in Canada on the 2.4, just base and tech.
THe ACC with low speed isn't on the 2.4, chances are with Acurawatch being introduced it will be on the 2.4's for the 16 models though.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I test drove the TLX again several times and some other cars too ... yesterday the two Infinity Q40 / Q50. The only one left to try is Lexus IS ... but for the same features it is will cost a bit more.

I didn't feel the transmission issues. You can feel the gears changing but I feel the same way in my TSX. I think I am going for it ... just can't get the TLX out of my head.

Now it is to pricing ... will post what the final decision is.
Congratulations on your decision and best of luck to you.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts