Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you drive a Honda or Acura with the ZF 9 speed transmission in Canada? If so, you will not be happy to hear that you’ll be buying the most expensive ATF on the market for the transmission service required at about 80,000km. The service requires Honda/Acura ATF 3.1, with no available substitutes. You will need to buy four quarts for the drain and fill. The cost in Canada is $86.99 per quart, or $347.96 plus sales tax. In the USA the same product is available for $20 per quart, or $80.00. My local dealer quoted $600 to drain and fill 3.5 quarts. I obtained the fluid through a friend in the USA who shipped it to me. It was a 45 minute really simple job to drain and refill the tranny as well as drain and fill .43 quarts Honda/Acura gear oil into the transfer case. (I have a very helpful hoist in my garage.)

I wrote to Honda/Acura to ask why the cost difference was so great. This was the response:
“Thank you for contacting Acura Canada. We are sorry to learn of your concern regarding the price difference for the ATF 3.1 fluid between Canada and the USA.
Many factors determine the pricing decision on our products, but for competitive reasons, Honda does not disclose its pricing rationale.
Please note, however, that our focus is singularly on manufacturing and distributing affordable products for the Canadian market based on Canadian market conditions.”

We intended to replace our present 2016 TLX SH-AWD Elite with the 2021 TLX A-Spec. We’re rethinking that.

I hope this helps those of you faced with the same dilemma.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That is a considerable difference.

I know ATF 3.1 is for the SF transmissions, but now that the 2021 TLX uses the Acura 10-speed I wonder if it will us the ATF-DW1?

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is a considerable difference.

I know ATF 3.1 is for the SF transmissions, but now that the 2021 TLX uses the Acura 10-speed I wonder if it will us the ATF-DW1?
According to the 2021 TLX owner's manual: Specified fluid: Acura ATF-type 2.0

·
Registered
511 Posts
According to the 2021 TLX owner's manual: Specified fluid: Acura ATF-type 2.0
Nice, that is the same as the 4-cylinder TLX with the DCT. ATF 2.0 isn’t much more expensive than ATF DW1...at least in the USA...not sure about Canada.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts