Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this morning I dropped off my TLX... again. The district service manager and the local service manager both drove the car. I waited for 2 weeks for this appointment, btw. I stopped by this afternoon to check on her (the TLX) and to talk about the loaner I had been given.

I totally understand now how so many on this forum can not have any problems, while others of us complain non-stop. There was a HUGE difference (night and day) between my car and the dealer loaner (which actually has dealer plates on it.)

There is barely any bump between 1-2-3-4-everything else. It is INCREDIBLE. I wanted to hug the car, because it proved that I am not crazy, and that this car can have a wonderfully smooth transmission.

I gave that feedback to the two managers, and they told me they understood completely. In fact, the two were in another manager's TLX that was so bad, the jerks could be felt from the back seat, and they thought they had hit something (9 speed, not 8 speed).

They were instructed by TechLine™ to complete a 4 step process, that involves transmission levels, idle relearns, something with a CKP, (I immediately though of California Pizza Kitchen, so I may be totally wrong in my acronym), and finally a hydraulic reset something something.

They also were fixing a side sill extension that was not installed correctly, so I should be able to pick her up tomorrow evening. I will definitely update everyone once I do. If it behaves just like the TLX I have now, I will be jumping for joy!

Have a wonderful evening folks!

Wes

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ty Wes! Lets hope tbat tomorrow you have the 'dealer' version...we wait for your update.

If you can ask/confirm what specifically they do/did to fix it, please document it for the rest of us.

Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wes,

From my experience with my dealer. I would rather have a temperamental Acura than any other brand of vehicle. I could just imagine the fight you would have with any of the other car manufacturers. I stay with Acura because of the service. I get a loaner every time I need one. Doesn't make car problems easier but it's easier to take, Acura "stands" behind their cars!

Hunter

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wes,

From my experience with my dealer. I would rather have a temperamental Acura than any other brand of vehicle. I could just imagine the fight you would have with any of the other car manufacturers. I stay with Acura because of the service. I get a loaner every time I need one. Doesn't make car problems easier but it's easier to take, Acura "stands" behind their cars!

Hunter
I totally agree with that. There will be problems with many new cars / models. It is how the brand handles those problems that creates customers for life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wes, As I previously posted I have a TSX (edited, removed TLX) with the dreaded oil consumption problem. 18 weeks total at the dealer, loaner every-time all the time. 28,000km noticed problem, 60,000km replaced pistons and rings, 90,0000km replaced engine!

I'm an a Acura owner for life for that service.

Hunter

Reactions: Wes Beard

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanna go drive this loaner TLX some more, to see if I can put it through my "driving habits". I would hate for all of this relearn stuff to fix it, only to revert back to the way it was before.

Note about my car today (the loaner):

It had 6 miles on it when I took it from the service department (I love that smell of newness...)

It currently has 47 miles.

The drive from the lot to my work at 7:00am was painful: SO much jerking and jolting of the transmission in stop and go traffic.

Then came lunch, and I went 5 miles down the road and back. Nothing. So smooth. Then home, in stop and go traffic.. again.. so smooth. Then to the grocery store.. and yet more amazingness.

I feel that I want to test the car, to make sure I am not dreaming, and to make sure it is not a fluke...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am confused. Are you say that the drive in the loaner from the lot to work was painful, but 5 hours later it was perfect? That would be bizarre.

Yes, you read correctly. It does sound bizarre. I referred to this in a different thread, but I think that the first twenty or so miles put on the car have a big impact on how the transmission drives. I am not sure how though..

We will see how the loaner acts this morning. Hopefully still smooth as butter! :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Wes,

Hunter
Mini has the worst service ever.

Wes, As I previously posted I have a TLX with the dreaded oil consumption problem. 18 weeks total at the dealer, loaner every-time all the time. 28,000km noticed problem, 60,000km replaced pistons and rings, 90,0000km replaced engine!

I'm an a Acura owner for life for that service.

Hunter
Where is the oil going?

Yes, you read correctly. It does sound bizarre. I referred to this in a different thread, but I think that the first twenty or so miles put on the car have a big impact on how the transmission drives. I am not sure how though..

We will see how the loaner acts this morning. Hopefully still smooth as butter! :D
Wes, what IDS mode do you normal drive in?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where is the oil going?
@MTD That is the question. If you know Honda Canada would love to know. My engine had cylinder 4 problems, oil was being burned with gas.

Hunter

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I picked her up today. Alas, my car behaved the same as when I dropped her off. I miss the blue dealer loaner. I told the service manager to drive the loaner, and she told me she would.

She warned me when I picked it up that she couldn't feel a difference. She also talked with me (almost trying to convince me) about not giving up hope, and that Acura assured her they were going to continue to work on this matter, and that one day soon the 9 speed would have a smooth shifting transmission. I told her to feel free to put the loaner's transmission into my car... jokingly.

I attached the service order below. Note: There was no new software update. I did confirm that the loaner I was given had the exact same transmission software as my TLX.

Here is hoping to a better update soon. Sorry folks...

Wes

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Very disappointing and sorry to hear...
The cars are obviously not identical to your driving senses. If the software is the same it leaves two other alternatives in my mind:

1. The learning elements and variables that modify tranny behaviour beyond base software
2. Some hardware difference, including manufacuring quality.

Keep us update if things (hopefully) change.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.