Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you guys give your TLX a rustproofing job? especially if you live in an area where it snows in the winter

if yes, would you have it done by the dealer or get some third party to do it for you?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd probably just get it done by the dealer. It is a good idea if you live in a wintery location, and I live in the same place as you :D

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
For some reason, they stopped pushing rust proofing down here in Florida. I always thought it might be a good idea due to the salt water nearby but I haven't been offered rust proofing since I started buying from Acura.

Maybe they are making cars better or not using as much metal? I haven't seen rust in a long time. <knock on wood>

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for us here with snow, the main reason for rustproofing is because we use salt pebbles to melt snow and ice in the winter, as well as improve traction on the slippery roads

as such, if we drive over a surface with snow/slush with salt, those stuff gets splashed onto the undercarriage of our cars which potentially invites oxidation on the parts underneath the car. obviously moisture also attracts oxidation but i would imagine its less of an issue in florida, hence the reason why rustproofing is not pushed by dealers in your area

but that said, rust has become less and less of an issue compared to cars before 2000, as car technology improves where manufacturers use better materials in the first place

some people simply suggest that we wash our cars, namely the undercarriage, more often in the winter as supposed to opting for rustproofing....

·
Registered
430 Posts
definitely go with the rust proof if you live in snowy climates, but you dont necessarily need to go with the dealer. They're making money as the middle man, the dealer is not the one proofing your car, it gets sent out to be done. So in exchange for some time you can save yourself a few bucks by going elsewhere or try and negotiate with the dealer.

Their price is grossly inflated thats all...

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Absolutely true about the cost of rustproofing. Tint as well. Anything like that can be done after the sale at a huge difference in price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aren't most production cars pretreated for rust protection, even before assembly nowadays? I thought I saw a show on the Discovery Channel showing how they dip the car chassis in some sort of rust inhibiting solution, before they start bolting anything on. I could be wrong but I still don't think I'd get rust proofing regardless. To me, it's along the same line as extended warranty. By the time a car starts rusting, I'm probably going to want a new car anyway.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think most manufacturers offer a few years of perforation rust warranty, but not for life

not only that, the undercarriage is not just your car chassis; there are car parts too and i doubt those get dipped

my current 2001 acura EL start to see very mild signs (just brown spots) of rusting in the wheel area but then its over 10 yrs. since i am not the first owner of the car i have no idea if there was any rustproofing done on the car, however

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the acura dealer offers rustroofing which lasts for 10 yrs and no need to do a yearly inspection

haven't asked about prices, will find out tomorrow

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for those who have the TLX already, can you guys look into the manual and see what acura says about rustproofing?

i have seen instances where acura says in the manual that rustproofing is not needed, so i will like some confirmation from those who have access to the TLX manual.

thanks and much appreciated

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
for those who have the TLX already, can you guys look into the manual and see what acura says about rustproofing?

i have seen instances where acura says in the manual that rustproofing is not needed, so i will like some confirmation from those who have access to the TLX manual.

thanks and much appreciated
I checked the manual I downloaded some time ago and could only find...

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty – all exterior body panels are covered for
rust-through from the inside for the specified time period with no mileage limit.

If no one gets back to you, I can go get the manual out of the car on CD to see if there is any more info.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ya acura offers 4-5 yrs of perforation corrosion warranty, at least in canada:

Warranty Coverage

and then i read this:

would you recommend rustproofing the RDX? and is this normal? - AcuraZine Community

This warranty does not cover:
-Surface rust on the underbody or any other part of the vehicle except body panels.
-Rusting of body panels that were repaired, replaced, or refinished after retail sale of the vehicle, unless those panels were repaired or replaced under warranty.
-Body rust caused by abuse, misuse, or lack of maintenance.
so i dunno if "refinished" also applies to those rustproof packages dealers offer, it IS aftermarket no matter how you put it, because they just outsource it to some third party company to do it

this is not from TLX manual so if someone can dig into the manual for more info, it will be much appreciated

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know a guy who actually sprays the underside of his car with brand new motor oil before every winter season. Sounds sloppy and greenies will try and give you a hard time, but you should see the bottom of his truck, its a 94 Cherokee, SPOTLESS! Driven daily I might add...

·
Registered
10 Posts
could someone please enlighten me on this rust proofing? I live in the North and have never heard of any service besides the oil on the under carriage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
could someone please enlighten me on this rust proofing? I live in the North and have never heard of any service besides the oil on the under carriage.
same thing really, just different methods of protecting the underside of the car from salt water splashing onto it causing rust.

the oil method is extremely messy but people say it works since it's literally dipping your car in oil, but you need to do it every year and drill holes onto the car.

dealership provides rustproofing service which is a one-time application which will last for 10 yrs or some say lifetime without the need of yearly inspection, not sure how reliable this is TBH because you almost never get to see them do the actual work so personally i am somewhat skeptical. at least for the oil method mentioned above you actually see oil dripping and know that they actually did something.

some people feel that all these rustproofing are all useless given car technology is constantly improving with better ways to protest rust on the get go, and they say just make sure you car wash every week or so in the winter and make sure the car wash involves spraying onto to the underside of the car (basically that means either hose the underside and wheel wells yourself, or pay for the highest grade automatic car wash at the gas station that will also wash and rinse the underside for you)

i am taking my chances and wash my car more often in the winter without rustproofing. just because you sprayed oil onto the bottom doesnt mean you do not need to wash your car in the winter either

·
Registered
317 Posts
After some delibaration and resaerch I decided to rustproof my TLX, since the steel its build of is not galvanized, at Krown Rust (www.krown.com). I am not sure if they operate in the US. My friend goes there every year and is very satisfied. They use some sort of "oil" and apply it everywhere, including drilling holes. You need to do it anually and it costs $115.00. Since the TLX has this soundproofed foam injected in the closed spaces I only asked them to the underbelly (didn't want any chemical to touch the foam as it could disintegrate) and they charged me half the price. There was no smell but the car was dripping "oil" a bit for about a week. I was surprised to see so many cars over there, many older Acuras too, and needed an appointment in advance. Seems like there are plenty of folks who still believe in rustproofing being worth time and $$. It won't hurt, but the time will tell if it was worth it on the TLX. Btw, they really liked my TLX a lot :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.