Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback on the usefulness and accuracy of the real time traffic feature in the Greater Toronto Area? This feature is definitely at the top of my list (along with ACC) for my next car but I'm having trouble finding out if it actually works well.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
My personal opinions...

The system is basic and functional... but in my opinion has some catching up to do.

Before getting this vehicle, I used the Waze app a lot to choose my routes.

Compared to Waze, I don't find this system as powerful. But I find that it is "directionally correct" in terms of the status display. (My suspicion is that apps like Waze or Google are either faster, or more predictive in terms of reporting traffic status.)

I do not use the Nav Guidance a lot in the city, so I have not experienced it re-routing me around "fresh" traffic delays like Waze does.

I cannot yet comment on whether this system learns your preferred routes like Waze does.

The display is different than Waze or Google. Waze or Google paint the whole road red when traffic is slow. This system has narrow status bars that run beside either direction of the road. I find it a little harder to read and understand "at a glance" than the phone based apps, especially when zoomed out.

If you look closely (you need to look pretty closely) you will see that it has separate status bars for the express and collector lanes on the 401. (But I have never noticed them to be different)

Bottom line though... It works. I drive to and from the airport a lot. Where I live in the city, I can either go via the 401 or via the Gardiner and 427. Traffic info is the deciding factor. Early on, I ran this system and Waze in parallel, and they have generally recommended the same route at the macro level.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seems to me that sometimes the data appears to be real time and sometimes its historical, based on trends. So fro me it works some of the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
LKDAV...

Sometimes the traffic status shows with a dashed line... We believe that is a "historic", or "estimated" reading, rather than something based on current data.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
So far it has been accurate and useful for me. I haven't seen any dashed-lines yet.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I haven't got the chance to play around with it much, but i have seen the dotted lines. my commute to work i can either go 407 east -> 404 south or i can go 400 south -> 401 east; however there's construction on the 404 -> 401 east ramp and it's always backed up. i'll give it a try and see which route the car tells me to take.

·
Registered
681 Posts
One gap i belive is Incidents. You have to ask for them rather them being displayed on the map like Google?

Never tried Waze, but wii do so,

And this takes me back to my rant on why dont auto makers embrace apps that already work. ( i know, revenue)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Used it today after reading this thread. Shows a green line for smooth traffic flow, yellow for slow. Unfortunately I was already in the yellow when I started to use it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wait until you see what happens when you are in the red.>:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts