Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Well it's been approximately 2-3 weeks of ownership of my 2.4 TLX and I thought I would chime in with my personal opinion of the TLX to assist with new/current members of this forum. It also might provide some insight for the people curious about the TLX.

Before I start, I just wanted the community to know a little about my car passion background. I have always been an avid German sports car fan (as you will find out) and my passion has grown from small twerks, to full out modifications for track use. Like most 'car guys' all good things must come to an end, and with the addition of children to my family, I had to settle down and get practical. We currently have a 2015 MDX and my wife and I absolutely love that SUV. Having a close family member being an exec @ Acura definitely helped convince me to give the TLX a try, and I am quite pleased with the 4 pot 2.4 engine with the 8 speed DCT transmission variant I am currently driving. Especially coming from a guy who has owned various German sports cars, which I have tuned and modified for the track.

***REVIEW TO FOLLOW***

Here are my previous stallions:

My most recent - Porsche 911 Turbo (Modified)

Previous - Porsche 911 Targa (Modified)

Previous E46 Cabriolet M3 (Modified)

Previous - E46 M3 Coupe (Modified)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, for anyone currently considering between the 4 cylinder vs the 6 cylinder, let me be another echo that the 4 cylinder is definitely the model to go for. Before anyone jumps all over me for saying this, I will clarify that I have driven the 6 cylinder FWD extensively as well. I am only speaking to the FWD models, as I have decided (due to harsh winters - snow belt) I have ordered and am waiting till the end of the year (Nov.-Dec.) for the arrival of my SH-AWD variant.

The reason why I say the 2.4 is the way to go, is it simply is the perfect balance between hp/weight ratio. As well as handling goes, the lighter front end of the 2.4 gives it a more agile feel, and confidence for the driver. The 4 cylinder is quick, peppy and very throttle responsive in (Sport, or Sport +) modes, and quite frankly, unless you are looking for fuel economy the (Econ, Normal) modes are pointless (will elaborate).

The 8 speed DCT is a engineering work of art. The gears are short (you'll notice quick changes throughout the powerband) however the shifts are crisp, precise and accentuates the high revving characteristics of the 4 cylinder engine. If anyone is questioning or wondering if the 4 cylinder engine is 'underpowered' or simply not enough for industry standards, let me assure you that there is definitely enough juice to get the TLX to point and shoot where you want it to go. In the city you'll notice that the transmission will cope just fine with the constant 'stop & go' traffic, and when you get onto the highway, there is enough power to merge, overtake with ease. I'll admit having a 6 cylinder for longer periods of highway driving would help, but the difference in cruising speeds is minimal.

I will say that I am quite impressed with my fuel consumption #'s (pretty bang on 24mpg city/35mpg highway) my last tank of gas (combination of city/highway) yielded 650kms with just under a quarter tank left to go.

The P-AWS technology is a nice feature to have brought into the TLX from the RLX, and Acura has managed to engineer this drive functionality without making it to noticible to the driver's input. It's still very much all the known characteristics and feel of a FWD vehicle, but the added P-AWS technology gives the sharp corners, and high speed corner the added touch of confidence.

In terms of interior space, I find it to be quite comfortable, elegant, and the usual Acura 'Bells & Whistles' technology interface. If you've driven or had a TL in the past, it's pretty much comparable. I have to say, Acura's R&D department has definitely put a lot of effort and time into creating a very quiet cabin. Even on the highway, or busy city streets, it is very quiet inside. The rev-happy 4 pot is just barely noticed on WOT and that surprised me.

In terms of styling, this topic is always subjective. I think they have brought back a combination of the 04-09 TL & TSX and gave that winning design, a facelift in to the current vehicle as we see it. My only complaint in terms of styling is the 'delete' of visible exhaust tips in the boot. You'll be surprise to see underneath still sports a dual exhaust system, but why Acura has decided to take the 'aggressiveness' out of it's sporty looking sedans to opt for a more 'environmental' design beats me.

Overall, if you're looking for a nicely equipped entry level Japanese sports sedan, I think you'll be happy with the 4 cylinder variant. The 6 cylinder is also a nice vehicle, don't get me wrong, the only complaint I have with that (and have heard it from others) is the mere fact that the weight of the engine/powerplant is noticible, and the power delivered from the 6 cylinder causes un-necessary wheel spin, thus the SH-AWD variant should correct that issue.

Again, I am not here to offend anyones views, or purchases, rather to provide my own personal insight into the new TLX. Hope that provides some type of positive feedback to potential buyers in the market.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Awesome review Alex. Thanks for the pictures and all the detailed information. I think this will definitely help other members on the forum considerably!

I also agree with your assessment to go with the V6 AWD. We have harsh winters up here in Montreal and I definitely can't live without AWD, but I definitely did notice the wheel slipping in the FDW model.

What colour interior did you end up getting?

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Excellent review Chris. As I said before it's great to hear some real world input. Should be interesting to see how it compares to the AWD.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the review, you make some very good observations that I overlooked in my test. I am curious since you have a history with performance machines I would assume that you use the paddle shifters. To that end, did you find that shifting speed was different from paddle vs auto and also from upshift vs downshift?

Also, as you mentioned that you had considerable experience with the V6, not to mention your MDX have you felt any significant transition when the VCM kicks in? I have heard a couple of comments about the process.

I am from the West coast so I like the SH-AWD as well albeit more for rain and only deal with snow on my way to Whistler (with a couple of exceptions).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took delivery of the 3.5 tech FWD version and have about 250 miles so far. Handles just fine for me and is somewhat faster that the '07 S I traded in. The four wheel steering really smooths out the corners and the 9speed keeps you in the nice sweet spot rpm wise. I don't like the tires, however(Bridgestone Portenz), since they let the car drift slightly rather than tracking where you point it. I will see if this improves but if not will be back at the dealer to see what they will do. The electronics are amazing, a lot has happened since 2007. Some is over kill but some things like Break Hold are useful. Will post more as I drive it but overall very pleased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clarification...

I'm confused, you bought the 2.4L now, but in a couple of months will trade it in for AWD?
Yes. I took the first batch of 2.4L delivery because I need 2 vehicles so my wife and I can move the kiddies around town. My dealer advised me the SH-AWD models will not be available (Toronto showrooms) until late Nov.-Dec, and thus I could not wait.

Once the SH-AWD model arrives I will switch vehicles. Again, because of the amount of snow we get in the snow belt, AWD is a must!!

If I had it my way, the 2.4L should have came turbocharged, with the option of SH-AWD, that would be the perfect TLX!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those were some awesome cars that you had before.
would you ever consider getting a porsche again?
Absolutely!!! Although I am throughly enjoying my Acuras right now, it is something I have to do in this stage of my life. I will definitely go back to a 911 in a heartbeat & depending on how many more kids I'm going to have, I have my eyes on the Panamera Turbo or GTS.

Trust me when I say this, when you've driven a German sports car, like Porsche's motto 'There is no substitute'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how much longer till we get to see you post pictures of your 991 GT3 RS rolling off the dealership floor? ;)

@///TOTLX
Haha!!! We need to have a board meeting together @typeess with my boss (wife) and sell her the proposition!!!

In all fairness to her, she's always supported (or tolerated) my car hobby. This was more of my decision to give up the 911 for a more practical every day car. I'm not going to deny, I miss her (911) everyday, especially when I see another one pass me, but I will be back, I will be back!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drove the fwd 6 & 4 today. The 6 is more posh and more of a freeway ride. I settled on the 4 mostly due to the 4 and dual clutch being just a sweet package. I do feel the 4/8 is the better power train - but I drive about 50/50 freeway city roads. The 6 feels a touch nose heavy.

Just now I'm debating the tech package. I've read discussions about base seat material vs the leather on the tech. Having seen and sat in both, don't sweat it. The pleather seats are just as good looking.

I'm going to do a longer test of the 4 tech and 4 base.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I drove the fwd 6 & 4 today. The 6 is more posh and more of a freeway ride. I settled on the 4 mostly due to the 4 and dual clutch being just a sweet package. I do feel the 4/8 is the better power train - but I drive about 50/50 freeway city roads. The 6 feels a touch nose heavy.

Just now I'm debating the tech package. I've read discussions about base seat material vs the leather on the tech. Having seen and sat in both, don't sweat it. The pleather seats are just as good looking.

I'm going to do a longer test of the 4 tech and 4 base.
I like my I4 Tech. Do evaluate the entire tech package. There is a bit more there than just NAV and Leather. I was on the fence for a while, but decided to make the jump after a close review.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just drove home the 4/8 tech package. I decided to go that route for the blind spot gear. However the lane keep assist is VERY handy. I was playing with the radio and it kept me out of the opposing lane. Worth the extra money. Once I have some time with it I'll write a longer review.

The 4 is more than adequate power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes. I took the first batch of 2.4L delivery because I need 2 vehicles so my wife and I can move the kiddies around town. My dealer advised me the SH-AWD models will not be available (Toronto showrooms) until late Nov.-Dec, and thus I could not wait.

Once the SH-AWD model arrives I will switch vehicles. Again, because of the amount of snow we get in the snow belt, AWD is a must!!

If I had it my way, the 2.4L should have came turbocharged, with the option of SH-AWD, that would be the perfect TLX!!!
Thanks for the review but what do you mean by you'll switch to the AWD one when it comes out? Are you going to sell your I4 and by the AWD or is the dealership somehow letting you upgrade?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the review but what do you mean by you'll switch to the AWD one when it comes out? Are you going to sell your I4 and by the AWD or is the dealership somehow letting you upgrade?
I have a family member that's an exec. at Acura Canada, and once the SH-AWD version arrives at our Toronto dealership, they're gonna take back the i4 and I'll trade up to the SH-AWD variant. To be honest, I still very much like the i4/8 combo more so than the V6, but I need AWD living in the snowbelt, and it's an added piece of mind when my wife & I have to switch vehicles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a family member that's an exec. at Acura Canada, and once the SH-AWD version arrives at our Toronto dealership, they're gonna take back the i4 and I'll trade up to the SH-AWD variant. To be honest, I still very much like the i4/8 combo more so than the V6, but I need AWD living in the snowbelt, and it's an added piece of mind when my wife & I have to switch vehicles.
honestly man, you should use your connection and help give all of us (at least the canadians) a good deal on the TLX lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.