Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum....cannot seem to find anything about replacing wood grain. I just bought my 15 TLX with 10000 miles on it - previous smoker vehicle - she burned/melted a spot on the center console wood grain next to the shift knob. I ordered new wood for 60.00 from dealership but cannot find anything anywhere on removal/installation. Any help is appreciated. I am hoping it is adhesive and will not require center console removal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not ...yet. My son and I have done carbon fiber dash kits etc in Hondas and it was pretty straight forward......if this is a simple job why hassle with the dealer when I can do it myself saving time and money? If it involves center console removal however, I agree with the dealer doing it. Closet Acura shop to me is a 45 min ride.

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
I did not ...yet. My son and I have done carbon fiber dash kits etc in Hondas and it was pretty straight forward......if this is a simple job why hassle with the dealer when I can do it myself saving time and money? If it involves center console removal however, I agree with the dealer doing it. Closet Acura shop to me is a 45 min ride.
Understood. Doing it yourself is always less hassle. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you decide to do it yourself and have a little time could you take pictures of the process and post them here? I know there was another post on here where someone left a water mark from a cup and was wanting to replace it. I'm sure it will happen to someone else in the future :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to go for it....part is on the way and I am attempting this weekend. I will take pics / video......and if successful I will post. I found the schematic and it appears to be the same clips Honda uses on every interior. I have popped these clips off in the past with new, clean bondo spreaders and plastic putty knives. Stay tuned..........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Couldn't wait - Part was at the house when I got home .
In doing this I discovered that this instruction would help in the replacement of a few other center console parts / pieces - Cup Holder Replacement / IDS Button Replacement / Faux Aluminum Trim Replacement. All these have to be removed to replace the Center Console Wood Bezel. I'm new so I don't know how to change the name of this thread or how to move it.
First pic is tools needed. A bondex spreading knife kit - a phillips head screwdriver. A paint can opener or flat head screwdriver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
I'll look after moving the thread. I'll rename it to a DIY and put it in the correct location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
From there I could then access the wood bezel. I used the pain can opener ( a flat head screwdriver would also work well ) on all the orange clips visible. Push in and pry up whatever it is holding in. I started with the bondex knife from the front of the bezel and pried it up until the clips started letting it go.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Next I unhooked the IDS button and removed the trim around the shifter knob, it is held in by orange clips. Press and pry until the bezel is free. You need to feed the bezel back through the trim and shifter knob to remove - hint - large side first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once the old bezel is out you need to swap both the cup holder held in by 5 screws and the IDS button held in by 4. Next
carefully feed the shifter trip back through new bezel - long side first. This is the only tricky part in terms of not scratching or marring your new piece.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts