Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone looked at replacing their valve stem caps?

Someone took one of the factory caps off my car yesterday
:(

I saw some pretty cool chrome caps on Amazon, but also saw a lot of warning against using metal caps due to galvanic corrosion in salty areas such as the Northeast, leading to expensive TPMS sensor repairs. E.g.,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH1FPJW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BN6I94GYTS84

If I look for rubber/plastic, all I could find were these ones look very plain:

Amazon.com: Acura Black Logo Black Tire Stem Valve Caps: Automotive

or these ones which looked better but one commenter warned against because of freezing concerns:

http://www.amazon.com/Acura-Black-L...im_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=02H020ZWVN0QYPJ9959K

Is that freezing concern even legitimate -- I'm assuming water penetrating into it or something?

I was indifferent towards the ones that come from the factory, but couldn't even find those online anywhere. Anybody even know where to find them?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm sure the dealer would replace them. The n2o ones I believe look dif.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
It sucks when you can't keep valve stem covers on your car. People will take anything.

I wouldn't get anything too nice especially if someone took them already. The Acura ones that you provided links for do look good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
was wondering if anyone looked at replacing their valve stem caps?

Someone took one of the factory caps off my car yesterday
:(

I was indifferent towards the ones that come from the factory, but couldn't even find those online anywhere. Anybody even know where to find them?
Maybe get a set from a salvage yard?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Someone stole just one of my caps as well. A co-worker that got a new car after I did, said one of his was missing, too.

I told him I did not take it to replace mine. :)

I forgot to ask for a new one when I visited the dealer on my first oil change.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One of my green ones broke.
I went to wal-mart and found some black metal ones that I am using.
They look a lot better than the green against the black inlay of the rims.
Also, it feels like a regular plastic cap with a black metal cap glued to them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I want some rose gold valve stem caps :D

An entire wheel in rose gold is overkill but as a valve stem, it will be a great subtle addition

·
Registered
255 Posts
Perhaps we are examining this issue from an incorrect perspective.

Does anyone have the torque specification for the valve stem caps?

·
Registered
681 Posts
its a little wild that people are stealing stem caps...just saying

Or are dealers leaving them loose and they are coming off?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, mine were on tight. it was definitely stolen. Spoke with a few friends of mine in the area and they've had issues with this too.

I can't imagine it's the dollar value they're after -- my guess, folks lose their caps and then steal other people's caps instead of hitting auto zone and buying a 10 pack (or 100 pack online)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who knows maybe one day some company will come out with locking value stems caps :D
actually they do. I saw some with the Acura logo on Amazon -- they use a hex key to turn a set screw. Looks very similar to the screws you see for toilet paper holders and towel holders for your bathroom.

I just feared
(a) trying to find and turn one in the dark / highway edge, etc.
(b) corrosion on the screw and/or cap... then what do you do?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Acura-A...sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=015AW6W9Q9FZW1R7BKG7

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth, I went ahead and purchased this 100 pack of valve stem caps. After some research, you do have to be careful about what you buy because of the TPMS sensors with regard to corrosion/moisture and physical damage, especially with metal caps. The two choices I found on Amazon that respected the TMPS concerns and seemed to match the "from-the-dealer" appearance for the Northeast are below:

Schrader (pack of 100 for $11) -- they also make TPMS sensors
Amazon.com: Schrader 20395 TPMS Plastic Sealing Valve Cap - Pack of 100: Automotive

Dorman (pack of 50 for $10)
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-609-13...sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=15NDQSDK3WZ7QRTYECZN

Some reviews also mentioned putting these on older Acura vehicles.

I went for the Schrader pack so I'm good for my next 100 valve stem cap thefts

Boy I sure I wish I could replace the TPMS sensors with an electrified valve stem cap which would solve my valve stem cap theft issue permanently
:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what it's worth, I went ahead and purchased this 100 pack of valve stem caps.
Schrader (pack of 100 for $11) -- they also make TPMS sensors
Amazon.com: Schrader 20395 TPMS Plastic Sealing Valve Cap - Pack of 100: Automotive
These Schrader caps arrived yesterday, and seem to be an exact match to what was on the car before. The box of 100 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so they'll fit in your car easily.

I'm now fully capped, and with an ample supply of spares to handle the valve stem cap theft epidemic in the Boston area

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
These Schrader caps arrived yesterday, and seem to be an exact match to what was on the car before. The box of 100 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so they'll fit in your car easily.

I'm now fully capped, and with an ample supply of spares to handle the valve stem cap theft epidemic in the Boston area
Thanks for the reminder! I just ordered a pack myself to fight the epidemic in South Florida.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts

I got mine this week as well. If nothing else, this company is making a few dollars off of us.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts