Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to remove a deodorant stain on the interior door panel? My TLX is only 5 months old and this is killing me!

During the summer, I was entering a paid parking lot and had to reach for a parking receipt from a machine that was too high. I happened to be wearing a tank-top that day and didn't realize that my underarm was rubbing all over the door. Now I'm stuck with this awful stain on the door. I removed the initial residue and once I was home, I cleaned it several times with ArmorAll brand interior cleaner (not the shiny protectant stuff). After wiping it down each time, the stain appears better, but shows up just like this after a few hours.

I'm hesitant and worried about which chemicals to use on this surface. Possibly baking soda, oxy clean? Or other ideas to try? Any and all help is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to remove a deodorant stain on the interior door panel? My TLX is only 5 months old and this is killing me!

During the summer, I was entering a paid parking lot and had to reach for a parking receipt from a machine that was too high. I happened to be wearing a tank-top that day and didn't realize that my underarm was rubbing all over the door. Now I'm stuck with this awful stain on the door. I removed the initial residue and once I was home, I cleaned it several times with ArmorAll brand interior cleaner (not the shiny protectant stuff). After wiping it down each time, the stain appears better, but shows up just like this after a few hours.

I'm hesitant and worried about which chemicals to use on this surface. Possibly baking soda, oxy clean? Or other ideas to try? Any and all help is much appreciated!

View attachment 24894 View attachment 24895
I'm surprised deodorant would leave a permanent discoloration. The only thing I can think of is to show it to your Acura dealer and ask them if they have any interior cleaning/restoration products that they would recommend and sell in the Parts/Service department. The textured door panel and dashboard finishes on cars are difficult to maintain their original appearance. I have had some luck with Armor All - not the cleaner that you used but the protectant.

·
Super Moderator
695 Posts
TIP: try on another door or Trunk trim part that is similar to the plastic from that part you need to clean. Then you do not risk damaging the "good" part.
How about Windex!?
How about a laundry detergent? That's made to handle those kind of stains!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the tips, guys!

I worked on it yesterday and appear to have solved the problem. I started with the baking soda and a damp cloth as I figured it was the least harmless, and it actually took most of it out. Since I already had it in the house, I used a magic eraser on it next and that seemed to finish it off.

I guess it wasn't permanently stained like I had previously thought, but I'm sorta surprised that ArmorAll cleaner didn't take it out after numerous cleanings. Anyway, SO glad to have it looking back to normal again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TIP: try on another door or Trunk trim part that is similar to the plastic from that part you need to clean. Then you do not risk damaging the "good" part.
How about Windex!?
How about a laundry detergent? That's made to handle those kind of stains!
Thanks for the testing suggestion - testing the eraser on an inconspicuous area first was a great idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts