Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the differences are in the standard remote starter offered on the Tech model, vs the one offered in the Options add-on section?
Shows as about $700 in Canada.
Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From the looks of it, the Fob in the accessories section of the website is the same as the Fob with the tech package.

Keyless Access System | 2015 Acura TLX | Acura Owners Site

So I would ASSUME that the one fob would be programmed to do all of your other keyless entry and keyless start stuff. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

I'm getting the dealer installed remote start on my new RDX, and hope that I won't need to use two fobs.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I don't know for sure but I would think it's the same system. For the cars that don't get it as standard equipment you can pay the money and get it installed as an option. It wouldn't make sense for Acura to have the kit as an option but still require the owner to have two fobs. .....hopefully they did it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are probably right..just noticed you could
add this to a Tech package, but it's already included.
With car companies, ya never know!!))

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's the same fob on the tech as the accessories. They just didn't build their site very well if it lets you add it to the tech

I'm getting the dealer installed remote start on my new RDX, and hope that I won't need to use two fobs.
You will have two fobs, the RDX still uses the older keyless key, so you will get the chunky acura fob to along with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
From the looks of it, the Fob in the accessories section of the website is the same as the Fob with the tech package.

Keyless Access System | 2015 Acura TLX | Acura Owners Site

So I would ASSUME that the one fob would be programmed to do all of your other keyless entry and keyless start stuff. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

It's still unclear, because when I ordered my car (in the US) I asked if there are gonna be both key fobs with the remote start capabilities & they actually went into the one car they had in the showroom (V-6 Advance) & found out only 1 fob is with the remote capabilities and the 2nd one was the standard one, so I asked how much would it be for the 2nd fob (so I have 2 with being able to remote start the car) so they said about $600. Now, as I was looking at the add-on remote start, that was for $400 with 2 fobs/remotes. This doesn't make sense that you can buy the remote start with 2 original fobs included for $400 or you'd have to pay for the replacement $600 in already factory installed remote start. I am suspecting (just my opinion), that the Add-On Remote option is just regular remote start you can get installed at any other place that installs remote starts.
Hope someone with more knowledge can give a better insight.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In canada the Tech's and Elites (US Advance) come with both keys having remote starter fobs. They cheaped out in the US then?
It could be a demand thing. Majority of the Canadian market is likely to opt for remote start due to climate, in the US not so much...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Good point, living in canada for a bit i did notice how much they need those remote starts. Even people with aging cars opted for cheap aftermarket remote start systems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It could be a demand thing. Majority of the Canadian market is likely to opt for remote start due to climate, in the US not so much...
Accept for the following markets:

Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Minnesota (twin cities,) Wisconsin, New York-New Jersey, PA, Dakotas, Anchorage....yes plenty dont need it...but you will be surprised that many do opt for it :)

At least this is what my families down south in cold weather areas tell me :)

The point of my message is that they should include it for both remotes. Not one. Sounds like a money grab to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
** Sorry A Little Late to the Party **

I have been considering adding the remote start feature to my US SH-Tech. Summertime is coming and my company moved during the winter to a new building without and tree or covered parking. The summer sun can get brutal up here and hot leather ---- well you know!.

Anyway I asked my dealership about adding the feature and $$. They said about $550 OTD with 1 fob to preform remote start. A second remote start fob was about $220. The original fobs are still mine and work with the car. If i had added it as an accessory, I would have 2 remote start fob, as standard.

I am going ahead with the addition when 'Cinnamon' goes in for her first service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
** Sorry A Little Late to the Party **

I have been considering adding the remote start feature to my US SH-Tech. Summertime is coming and my company moved during the winter to a new building without and tree or covered parking. The summer sun can get brutal up here and hot leather ---- well you know!.

Anyway I asked my dealership about adding the feature and $$. They said about $550 OTD with 1 fob to preform remote start. A second remote start fob was about $220. The original fobs are still mine and work with the car. If i had added it as an accessory, I would have 2 remote start fob, as standard.

I am going ahead with the addition when 'Cinnamon' goes in for her first service.
You can get the 2nd fob cheaper online for $136.97: Remote Engine Starter Key FOB - 2015 Acura TLX, Acura Parts Super Store- Acura Accessories and Parts for sale online for a discount.

And the whole remote start system is here for $286.80 & it includes 2 fobs:
Remote Engine Starter - 2015 Acura TLX, Acura Parts Super Store- Acura Accessories and Parts for sale online for a discount.

I bought all accessories for my TLX from them much cheaper than the dealership offered.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the problem is having it coded for your car. So far only Acura has the unit that plugs into the ODB2 port and codes your key fob.
If you order it for $286.80 it will come with 2 fobs. All you have to do is to pay for them to install it.
If you go with them for the whole thing it's $550 + $220 for 2nd fob (and programming will be extra).
I bought 2nd fob for $136 & had Acura program it for $50

1 - 20 of 47 Posts