Acura TLX Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I recall correctly the dealer has to enable remote start, not just program the keys. Read the programming instructions at the very end of the install document.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fair point. That could be it. But it's interesting they could reprogram the original keys and not the new ones at all. Your point seems like the new fob should be able to be programmed to activate the locks but maybe the remote start would not work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Programmed mine at an Acura dealer. The dealer was way cheaper than the lock smith. Not sure if a Honda dealer could program but you can give them a quick call and ask. My guess is that they have some sort of chip. Or computer proprietary to the dealer only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone attempted and succeeded with installing the factory remote starter?

I've looked at the step by step instructions and looks fairly simple. One concern I do have is once I plug in module will my current key fobs be wiped out or can I just drive to the dealership to have them program the new key fob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to close my situation out.

I installed mine myself. Took it to the dealer and negotiated down from $155 key programming to $100.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I, too, installed the module myself, and had the dealer program the two fobs ($79). Afterward, however, the fobs would not start the car. I needed to go back for a couple of small things anyway, so my SA said they'd look at the programming then. A few days later, I decided to give it a try again, and voila! Tried the other fob, and no-go. Manually started the car with that fob, and then that one too, began working. I'm not sure if I stumbled upon a valid requirement (i.e. the fob must be used manually before it will remote-start the car) or if the planets simply aligned correctly. :unsure:

61 - 66 of 66 Posts