Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted and succeeded with installing the factory remote starter?

I've looked at the step by step instructions and looks fairly simple. One concern I do have is once I plug in module will my current key fobs be wiped out or can I just drive to the dealership to have them program the new key fob.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I have seen some members of the group keep their original fobs as well as the new ones once they have been programmed. The old ones should still work until you get the new ones programmed by the dealer. I can't confirm 100% but that's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Confirmed that when you install the module your old remotes still work. I just installed the module last weekend and today the dealer programmed my new remotes. Now I have four lol.

Although after driving out of the service bay I stopped and tried the remote start. It did not work, sort of forgot about the three keys in the car yet. Doh!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Confirmed that when you install the module your old remotes still work. I just installed the module last weekend and today the dealer programmed my new remotes. Now I have four lol.

Although after driving out of the service bay I stopped and tried the remote start. It did not work, sort of forgot about the three keys in the car yet. Doh!
When you said you have four are you saying that all 4 remotes work to unlock and start the car?

How much did the dealer charge you to program the remotes?
How much less was it than having the dealer do the complete install?

You have me intrigued and I am now thinking about buying the kit and doing the install myself and just having the dealer program the remotes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had remote start installed by dealer and now I have 4 remotes that work. 2 that start the car, and 2 that lock and unlock and open the trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the module today. Took 10 mins very easy and my keys still work! Scheduled appointment this week to have new fobs programmed for $65. I bought package on eBay for $280. A lot better deal

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you said you have four are you saying that all 4 remotes work to unlock and start the car?

You have me intrigued and I am now thinking about buying the kit and doing the install myself and just having the dealer program the remotes.
Sorry I missed the question. $50 for both keys to be programmed.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts

I wanted to answe my own question now that I know the answers.

I just got back from getting my remote start remotes programed. I installed the module myself and my dealer charged me $135 to program the remotes.

Afterwards I tested all 4 remotes. I can remotely start and stop the car with the new remotes just fine. However, I was surprised to know that my old remotes still work to unlock and start the car just like they did before. That means if I don't feel like carrying around the bulkier remote start remote I can just carry the regular one.

Oh, I bought the remote start kit from a dealer via eBay for $282 shipped. My local dealership would pricematch with the correct proof, however, the lowest they would go would be $296 plus tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the dealership do the install of the RS I purchased off of e-Bay, from another dealership. They coded the 2 new fob, so now I have 4 fobs for the car.
how much did they charge you for the install of it? how much did you pay for the remote start on ebay?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry to bring this up but I've gone up and down every remote start thread and probably missed it.

I was pretty sure somebody here posted that you could actually install the module just by pulling back the rear seat side bolster. That it wasn't necessary to unbolt the back seats like the official instructions state. Anyone have success with that? Thought the weather was getting better so I wasn't going to rush it and now it's snowing again and I'm heading on a road trip soon.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry to bring this up but I've gone up and down every remote start thread and probably missed it.

I was pretty sure somebody here posted that you could actually install the module just by pulling back the rear seat side bolster. That it wasn't necessary to unbolt the back seats like the official instructions state. Anyone have success with that? Thought the weather was getting better so I wasn't going to rush it and now it's snowing again and I'm heading on a road trip soon.
This is what I used and did step by step.
Install

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is what I used and did step by step.
Install
Thanks MrMoo but it says I'm "not authorized to view the content of this page" :|

I have seen the official step by step if that's what that link sends me to? I thought I read that some people had just pulled on the side bolster and reached in there to install the remote start module, bypassing several steps in official process. I wanted to verify if it was possible to do it that way instead.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I did it last night. Overall very easy. It helped that Honda hasn't changed from 1995 how they bolt the rest seat down so I quickly recognized where the middle bolt would be and how to release the two side clips. I didn't pull it entirely out either, so I didn't have to shove the seat belt assemblies back through which is super annoying. You probably need slim enough hands to find where that middle bolt is located.

So you definitely can't pull the side bolster that runs upwards. But maybe what can be pulled to expose the screw to that holds in the upwards running side bolster is the lower seat side bolster? Maybe that's what I read? I'll snap an image next time I'm back there to show what I mean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are all trim models equipped for remote start?

I have a 2015 Base model and was wondering if all I needed for remote start was this kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys!

I was actually considering either Compustar or Viper but I much prefer this option. I don't want to have to carry more than one remote.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts