Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TLX A Spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I did a ton of searching on here but wasn’t able to find what I needed.

I’m almost positive there was previously a very detailed post about installing remote start in a 2018 / 2019 but can’t find it anywhere? Maybe it was a different TLX forum? Lol

anyways - I have a 19 A Spec and want to install myself then have the dealer program the keys. Can anyone help with the following:
1) Do the kits you can buy from the online dealer parts sites include the keys?
2) can someone confirm if will I be able to start my car with old key after installing the kit before new keys are programmed?
3) two of the dealers I’ve called said they can’t “just program it”. They want to install the whole thing. How do I get past this?
4) anything else I should be aware of?

thanks In advance all!

Matt
PS - I’m going to post a separate post about an audio issue I’m having. I hope I don’t get flamed for asking two questions right after joining. I’m hoping to start fixing some issues this weekend or next.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. If you are buying the Acura remote start accessory from an online dealer parts site, then yes the keys are included.
2. No, your old keys won't be able to remote start the vehicle after installing the module.
3. Those dealers are lying to you. I would simply schedule an appointment w/ to have new keys programed to your vehicle after the module has been installed.
4. Try harder searching next time, the instructions can be found on this website in at least one discussion. They are also on Acura's (Acura online store : 2019 TLX Accessory installation (DIY) instructions)

·
Registered
2019 TLX A Spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I found the PDF you referenced. I couldn’t find the post I was mentioning.
I don’t think you understood my second question. I don’t expect the remote start to work at all until the new keys are programmed - the question is will the old keys still turn the car on so I can drive it to the dealer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. I found the PDF you referenced. I couldn’t find the post I was mentioning.
I don’t think you understood my second question. I don’t expect the remote start to work at all until the new keys are programmed - the question is will the old keys still turn the car on so I can drive it to the dealer?
Yes, your original key fobs will continue to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX 2.4L Tech pkg
36 Posts
I installed a factory remote start on my 2018 a few months ago. Fairly simple process. Just pull back bottom seat and right seat back bolster. Module mounts and plugs right up. Yes your original fobs will still work to get you to dealer. Actually if you take all of the fobs they can all be programed to the new system. My 2 original fobs and my 2 new remote start fobs all work. My kit came with new fobs but not a new key blank. Have to take you manual key out of old fobs and put in new ones. I've seen some posts saying dealer install and programing running $300-$400. Install took me less than 30 minuets and dealer programed my keys for $80.

·
Registered
2019 TLX A Spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed a factory remote start on my 2018 a few months ago. Fairly simple process. Just pull back bottom seat and right seat back bolster. Module mounts and plugs right up. Yes your original fobs will still work to get you to dealer. Actually if you take all of the fobs they can all be programed to the new system. My 2 original fobs and my 2 new remote start fobs all work. My kit came with new fobs but not a new key blank. Have to take you manual key out of old fobs and put in new ones. I've seen some posts saying dealer install and programing running $300-$400. Install took me less than 30 minuets and dealer programed my keys for $80.
Thanks. Did you explore buying the device to program the keys yourself?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes your original fobs will still work to get you to dealer. Actually if you take all of the fobs they can all be programed to the new system. My 2 original fobs and my 2 new remote start fobs all work. My kit came with new fobs but not a new key blank. Have to take you manual key out of old fobs and put in new ones. I've seen some posts saying dealer install and programing running $300-$400. Install took me less than 30 minuets and dealer programed my keys for $80.
Just for clarification, there are two possible IMMO functions in the IST software. ALL KEYS LOST or ADD A KEY. If the tech selects ADD A KEY then any existing fobs will continue to work as the RFID is already registered. If the tech selects ALL KEYS LOST then all registered remotes are removed and all the ones you want to work must be re-registered one at a time.

The quick way to do the job (which is how most techs will do it) is ADD A KEY. The big use-case for ALL KEYS LOST is the obvious one plus if you buy a vehicle used and there are more remotes registered than what you received from the seller, the fob(s) floating around will no longer allow access to your vehicle.

Font Line Material property Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
223 Posts
Not really. Figured it would be expensive or dealer available only. I mean, how often you need to program keys. Can't see it worth $.
I been looking to add remote start to my new 19’ TLX A-Spec however my old remote start key wouldn’t register/program with the new module I put in according to the Tech at a local Acura dealership so I had to take it all out and buy the entire kit for this model year. Also they wanted to charge $160 for the key programming and I talked them out of charging me for it. So now I’m gonna install the kit and use the keys from that kit to program it. Then it should all link up and work.

·
Registered
2019 TLX A Spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I been looking to add remote start to my new 19’ TLX A-Spec however my old remote start key wouldn’t register/program with the new module I put in according to the Tech at a local Acura dealership so I had to take it all out and buy the entire kit for this model year. Also they wanted to charge $160 for the key programming and I talked them out of charging me for it. So now I’m gonna install the kit and use the keys from that kit to program it. Then it should all link up and work.
What module did you buy? I’m confused how the kit wouldn’t have worked?

·
Registered
30 Posts
@MarcoTLX the old fobs will still start the vehicle, they are just not compatible with the remote start kit. If you look at the screenshot I posted above the first step is to run the 2 WAY KEYLESS mode. That enables the vehicle to receive remote start requests from the new fobs (that have the remote start button on them)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes.......

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
223 Posts
@MarcoTLX the old fobs will still start the vehicle, they are just not compatible with the remote start kit. If you look at the screenshot I posted above the first step is to run the 2 WAY KEYLESS mode. That enables the vehicle to receive remote start requests from the new fobs (that have the remote start button on them)
Yeah I’m gonna look back at it and try this again. It’s crazy cause everything just worked with my 2016 TLX when it came to remote starting it 😪

1 - 13 of 13 Posts