Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are proud new owners of an i4 Tech. We are interested in having the remote start added but I'm having trouble finding a solid answer on its range. Overall our dealer knew very little about it and actually advised against it. Depending on where I look I'm finding anywhere from 300 some feet to 1/2 mile. Can anyone with this feature attest to its true tested range and how well it's worked in real life situations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
congrats on your new TLX, i got mine yesterday and i am planning to get the remote start and was wondering why would your dealer advise against it? and how much are they quoting you for it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats as well. The dealer, to me, seemed to be more or less pushing an aftermarket Clifford remote start they sold. They were quoting 500 for the Clifford and 526 for the Acura installed. In addition, they kept quoting the 320 some feet listed on some areas of Acura's website even though I was finding others listing a much greater range. I think you have the right idea wanting the factory remote start. To me the factory key fob and seamless climate control integration is well worth it. Hopefully someone can chime in on the range as that's my deciding factor. I've gotten spoiled with long range aftermarket ones in the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the range also depends on your surroundings. If you have flat land with line of sight, then obviously the range will be further. However, if you're in a parking garage with tons of concrete in between, it might be very little.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I read they extended the range and tested it and it does start up far away.
The real test was from my basement appartment through an old house so thick walls and at the back. And it starts no hassle from there.

If you are considering a remote I would recommend the OEM as its all on one fob, if you go for a 3rd party to save cash that extra $100 or so are well worth it just having it all on one fob in my opinion.
But this is hands down better than the previous range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight Amnesia. Has anyone tried starting theirs from say inside a grocery store and across a parking lot or from inside a place of employment? Good to hear it's going through a brick house and basement no problem but if the car is parked just outside I would hope it would be accomplishng this no problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's an old trick to better the connection if you take the fob and touch the bottom of your chin while pressing the buttons to start your car it helps with the range. It has proven to be helpful many times to me when I walk out of the gym & my car is sitting way back behind all the cars (the metal of all cars diminishing the connection/range) & it starts 99% of the time. Now & then I don't get the return notification it started, but the car is running when I get there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re the remote start: if I have this added, and get the remote start fobs, will my regular fobs still work? There will be seasons when I just don't need/want the remote start, and would prefer to not carry around such a big fob. Picky, I know ...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes they will still work Stuart and you should also get four fobs with delivery (only two keys though). The fobs are programmed so the dealer will have to program the new keys that have the remote module built in.
So you should have the two normal fobs that in the summer you can just swap over to the key if you wanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts