Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that to cut down on road noise the rear wheels have sound insulation... in the wells themselves, I found that odd. Anyone have any issues with snow/salt hanging on longer vs. the standard plastic liner over this past winter? Seems like it would hold moisture/salt contributing to corrosion?????

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Haven't been through a winter yet. Plenty of early adopters from the north on this forum. Hope to hear from them.

But I can only hope that Acura has done their engineering, as they have in the past.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw a video posted a while back about the winter testing Acura does on their vehicles, it's pretty thorough. In one test they drive the car through a standing pool of water while the outside air is at subfreezing temps, and they let ice build up under the vehicle in every crevice possible. This allows them to check and identify weak or vulnerable parts that will be in contact with the outside elements.

Pretty interesting to watch.... found the video check it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGxEZ60E-nQ

·
Registered
681 Posts
No abnormal issues on build up etc. during this winter. I do routinely kick the ice of the mud flaps & wells, as sometimes the front wheels rub on extreme clumps when turning. And we had a tough/cold winter this year.

I saw a video posted a while back about the winter testing Acura does on their vehicles, it's pretty thorough. In one test they drive the car through a standing pool of water while the outside air is at subfreezing temps, and they let ice build up under the vehicle in every crevice possible. This allows them to check and identify weak or vulnerable parts that will be in contact with the outside elements.

Pretty interesting to watch.... found the video check it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGxEZ60E-nQ
Great video...makes me long for January...well, not quite...but snow driving can be fun!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no doubt that it will hold up to "freezing water" etc but was wondering about it holding water / salt longer than without so over long term can lead to corrosion issues... say 5-10 years down the road. But if they had used it in the Si then it sounds like its fine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We had a normal amount of snow here in ontario last winter and I didn't notice it sticking anymore than normal, it just builds up in the normal places so don't think it affects it either way from my own experience.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you want to take an extra step to ensure you do what you can to prevent build up, you can always stop by those coin car washes, drop in $2 and spray the wheel wells and fender area. I used to do that and even just spraying the wheel wells you'd be surprised at how much crap falls out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When in doubt, kick it out. I usually just kick out any large clumps I see and the car is washed once every week to 2 weeks during the winter months to get rid of the the salt in the undercarriage. The $2 coin wash works too if you're just cleaning out the wheel wells.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When in doubt, kick it out. I usually just kick out any large clumps I see and the car is washed once every week to 2 weeks during the winter months to get rid of the the salt in the undercarriage. The $2 coin wash works too if you're just cleaning out the wheel wells.
Some spray hot water which can go a long way for really cleaning the body and the underbody. I actually go for a full spray down, drop in $5 and im able to get just about everything off.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I usually run it through a touch less car wash that sprays underneath the car once a week in the winter. Parking in a heated garage can help too if you can find one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I agree... I have read mixed items about heated garages... some say while better, better for he engine but heated garages in the winter can be bad for the body. Instead of ice/salt staying frozen it melts and can cause issues. Not sure who is right but in my book I love a heated garage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only issue I can think of for parking in a heated Garage is if you were to go in and out in constantly within a day without giving the melted snow a chance to evaporate a bit. The build up of snow and ice is constantly melting and then refreezing but regular washing in the winter should prevent this issue from causing damage to your car. And you stay nice and toasty when you go to your car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes I agree... I have read mixed items about heated garages... some say while better, better for he engine but heated garages in the winter can be bad for the body. Instead of ice/salt staying frozen it melts and can cause issues. Not sure who is right but in my book I love a heated garage.
If its overnight usually I try to spray the car down before parking it for the night, a good car wash will spray most of that gunk away, then of course you can always wash it yourself at a coin car wash.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish my garage had 2 things, a lift and a car wash bay :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts