Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
It's not a real complicated install but I figured by adding some pictures during the install it might give someone an idea of what they're getting into before they begin.

This is for the Acura rear splash guards part number 08P09-TZ3-200. They are painted when they arrive so make sure you specify the colour you need. The parts advisor will likely ask you anyway.

The manufacturer's instructions can be viewed at the following link and scrolling down to the rear splash guards.

Acura online store : 2015 TLX Accessory installation (DIY) instructions

If you have a stubby screwdriver you should be able to do the install with the wheel on the car. Since I don't, I removed the wheel which gave much easier access.

The first step is to remove two Phillips head screws inside the fender liner and pull it back. This will give you access to three predrilled holes.

You will need to put one of the metal clips over the middle hole.

In the bag with each splash guard there will be a mount. Two metal clips need to go over the two holes on the mount.

Realign the fender liner and line up the mount over the predrilled holes. There will also be the middle screw that needs to be added to the two originals.

Before the mud guard is put on, a metal clip needs to be put over a predrilled hole in the fender liner towards the inside of the car.

Another metal clip needs to be added to the underside of the splash guard.

At this point the splash guard is ready to be mounted to the car. Align the splash guard to the holes and thread the screws on without tightening them. This is important to make sure there are no gaps against the car. There are three screws on the inside of the splash guard as well as one underneath.

Line the splash guard up against the car to ensure there are no gaps and tighten the screws. Start with the top one on the inside and work your way down. The one underneath should be last.

Repeat for the other side and hopefully the end product will look like this.....without the dirt of course.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Probably an hour but only because I had to take the wheels off and I took my time...and took a few pictures. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great DIY post! Congrats!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an FYI - on your last photo of the Rear Splash Guard on the car, you have it mounted wrong - the tab with the clip you installed goes OVER the lip on the rear bumper, you have it UNDER the bumper.

The clip doesn't hold anything as the hole in the bumper is above it and after the screw goes in (if that makes and sense ) :)

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was very easy. The only hiccup apparently was that I didn't tuck the bottom under the bumper. I'll speak to the head mechanic out in the garage a bit later about that. ;).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know this is an old post to bring up, but for those of you who installed these spats, was it worth the $150+?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s mostly an appearance thing really. I don’t think I paid full price. I really don’t remember. I do like the look.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Appearance-wise, I could go either way, but I live in Colorado in the mountains, and have to traverse 1/2-mile of dirt/gravel road to get to the pavement. Additionally, they're (still) working on repaving around me which means ground up asphalt residue and other crap on the roads. I'm hoping the splash guards will help protect the paint, but if all they do is move the damage back a few inches, it's probably not worth the money or hassle.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Appearance-wise, I could go either way, but I live in Colorado in the mountains, and have to traverse 1/2-mile of dirt/gravel road to get to the pavement. Additionally, they're (still) working on repaving around me which means ground up asphalt residue and other crap on the roads. I'm hoping the splash guards will help protect the paint, but if all they do is move the damage back a few inches, it's probably not worth the money or hassle.
They help, but probably not as much as one would hope because they are minimal as far as how low they hang down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts