Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've noticed since I've had the car is that when the car reads a text message the background audio volume doesn't decrease.

I don't get many text messages while I'm driving so it's not a huge issue but I figured I'd check with other owners to see if this is normal. My '13 Honda reduced the audio volume so that you could only hear the system reading the text message.

If anyone knows if there is a setting I'd appreciate the location. I've looked through both the forums and the owners manual and nothing jumped out at me.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Something I've noticed since I've had the car is that when the car reads a text message the background audio volume doesn't decrease.

I don't get many text messages while I'm driving so it's not a huge issue but I figured I'd check with other owners to see if this is normal. My '13 Honda reduced the audio volume so that you could only hear the system reading the text message.

If anyone knows if there is a setting I'd appreciate the location. I've looked through both the forums and the owners manual and nothing jumped out at me.
Hmm. I don't know of a setting but my audio goes to 1/2 mute when the system reads my text messages.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I would also like to know this. Ive also found the preseleted replies don't ever go through either.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The preselected replies won't go through because of a limitation with the iPhone. I expected that.

I got a text today in the car and as it was reading my message the volume of the radio didn't go down at all. There must be a setting somewhere.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ok, my radio volume does NOT lower when I read text message. Current volume settings dont make it a problem though.
@Summest, did you change a setting?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
ok, my radio volume does NOT lower when I read text message. Current volume settings dont make it a problem though.
@Summest, did you change a setting?
I did not change any setting. I only paired my phone to the ELS.

Now you have me wondering if it lowers. :confused:

I will check again. :)

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sat with a tech for about a half hour going through a bunch of settings and him sending me texts. He agreed that it shouldn't be like that. He said he would contact Acura to see if they have heard of the issue. He hasn't called back yet.

It should operate the same way that it does when a phone call comes in. The radio turns off almost completely.

I'll be sure to post something if I hear back.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts

Sorry for the misinformation. I got some text messages today and the audio does not half-mute like I thought. I tried Navigation and found it was that Navigation mutes the audio a noticeable bit.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. At least we know they are all the same. Mine mutes for the nav and the phone but not the text. I'll contact the dealer in a week or so to see if they found anything. I have my doubts if they are all the same.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only tried with my iPhone. As others in the forum have also experienced the issue maybe they can jump in if theirs work with an Android phone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was fiddling around with the volume control on the steering wheel and noticed that when the Navi is speaking if you can turn up the volume of the Navi and when it is reading texts, you can turn up the volume as well. It appears the same volume setting is for both Navi & text. The audio doesn't mute so I mute it by pushing down on the volume wheel when listening to text. It would be nice if the audio automatically muted when reading texts like when the phone comes on. I have a Samsung S5 phone.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
The audio doesn't mute so I mute it by pushing down on the volume wheel when listening to text. It would be nice if the audio automatically muted when reading texts like when the phone comes on. I have a Samsung S5 phone.
Wow! I did not know that. I thought the mute button would mute all sound, including the reading of text messages. Cool.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was fiddling around with the volume control on the steering wheel and noticed that when the Navi is speaking if you can turn up the volume of the Navi and when it is reading texts, you can turn up the volume as well. It appears the same volume setting is for both Navi & text.
It is a nice feature, but the ability to control the volume for the Navi from the steering wheel is only available to models that have the ODMD software update.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I had the software updated (for Navi & Audio) 3 weeks ago and did not realize it until I received the NEW Acura CD of the latest manual in the mail yesterday. The cover letter states this feature (bullet #2 ).

·
Registered
979 Posts
i'm having some trouble getting my phone to connect...or..my account atleast.

i can get it to pair with bluetooth no problem, calls and music streaming is fine. i can't seem to get the text messaging to work, which is a useful feature for me because i text quite a bit.

i go to settings, select phone settings, then when i try to select "select account" it's not highlighted and i can't select it?

i am signed up with acuralink...i don't get it.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Flexin5 what type of phone are you using? You'll need to ensure you go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and ensure show notifications is on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts