Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been getting an intermittent rattle from the rear window/shelf area when it is cold outside and I can not pinpoint it to anything in specific. I'm kind of wondering if this is due to the antenna fin but not sure how I go about diagnosing it.

This noise is very loud, sounds like a plastic on plastic sound, and can happen with even a slight bump or even on a smooth road. It tends to happen when its cold outside but not all the time.

I have a video of the noise but cant attach it . I saw that someone else had posted a video of a similar noise under the complaints section. I'd appreciate your input on this.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What year is your car?

My guess is the rear deck. There are a few posts, as well as write ups, on how to fix this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is 2016. I did have the rear shelf fixed for the rattles due to music etc. But this seems different. Is this what you're referring to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked today. Sound seem to come somewhere in the roof near the back. I pushed on every panel inside the car and none made a difference.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Have you brought it in to a dealer and had a service technician take a look/test drive? Rattles can be difficult to pinpoint the source. I'd have them look at it or start by having a friend sit in the back seat while you are driving and see if he/she might be able to locate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried that and still can not pinpoint it to anything specific. It seems to come from somewhere inside the lining of the roof.

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
This is certainly a mystery. I have found that with all the glass in the cabin, the sound tends to bounce around and gives you a false sense of its location (origin).
Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found out the where noise comes from. It seems that in cold weather, top part of the rear window rattles. I wonder if the westherstrip is the issue or moisture is building up in that light tray. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, might be having same issue but mine happens in warm weather. It is near rear where airbag is. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That's where I thought mine was too until one day when the rear window was cold. I tapped on the edges of the window from outside and realized that the rattle is reproducible closer to where that rear third brake light is. They've replaced it and so far so good. I'll let you know how it does again in winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! Curious, what all was replaced to help with the fix? Unfortunately, I don’t have much confidence in my dealer to find it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! Curious, what all was replaced to help with the fix? Unfortunately, I don’t have much confidence in my dealer to find it.
Tlxt16, did you ever have any luck fixing this issue? Or at least diagnosing it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They simply replaced the entire rear brake light assembly mounted on the rear window as it was holding moisture in. I am not sure if its working yet as it hasn't been that cold here yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts