Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a 4yr/48,000 mile maintenance plan for about $1900. I drive about 10k a year, maybe a little less.

I have 30 days to get a refund on it and I'm curious if it's remotely worth the costs. I am a DIY kind of guy, but they made a pretty good case that I would void my warranty if I did it myself. I would keep meticulous records, but they made a good case they would not be good enough.

Any insight or recommendations are appreciated if I should either back out and get my work done elsewhere at a better cost/DIY, or stick with the plan as it's worth it.

Thank you,
-Chris

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chris, I'm making these points after having been car sales guy. Do you really need two overlapping warranties? That the dealer is offering this policy, doesn't it sound like they are saying, in effect, that the factory warranty isn't sufficient? What makes this policy better than the factory warranty? Does it offer better coverage on known issues like the 9-speed transmission and the highway vibration? Is this a Honda/Accuracy policy or is it from a third party? This is a hustle. The F & I (finance and insurance) person's job is to sell you additional stuff. When your factory warranty is going to expire, THEN maybe -- maybe -- such a policy could be worthwhile. By that time, you'll also have an impression if this dealer service department is any good. $1,900 is outrageous. When the factory warranty is on its last legs, and you're happy with the dealer, THEN offer them $800 and if they balk, walk. I guarantee you they'll make a deal with you. I really & truly recommend you cancel and get your money back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I should have been more clear. This is a $1900 plan to cover the maintenance recommended by the maintenance minder over 4yr/48000. It is not a warranty, but a pre-paid maintenance plan. I say this in case it alters your opinion or feedback on my concern/questions.

It is not a warranty but I was made to believe that I do my own service, I risk voiding my actual warranty.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh, sorry I misunderstood and have a dim view of dealers in general! Would you save money by prepaying regular maintenance? I guess it comes down to that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot everyone for your help and opinions. I stopped by and dropped of a letter, per the contract, to start the within-30-day refund process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts