Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I took the trash to the curb with my key fob in my pocket.

As I approached the car, I noticed that the interior lights went on, and the puddle lights on the drivers side (only) went on.

There were no puddle lights on the passenger side.

I did not touch or enter the car.

Shouldn't the passenger side puddle lights go on as well?

I searched the owners' manual on the word "puddle", but didn't find any guidance on how these things are supposed to behave.

How do yours work? One side? Both sides? If both sides, is this a configuration issue, or do I have a defect for the dealer to address on my next visit.

Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
This morning I took the trash to the curb with my key fob in my pocket.

As I approached the car, I noticed that the interior lights went on, and the puddle lights on the drivers side (only) went on.

There were no puddle lights on the passenger side.

I did not touch or enter the car.

Shouldn't the passenger side puddle lights go on as well?

I searched the owners' manual on the word "puddle", but didn't find any guidance on how these things are supposed to behave.

How do yours work? One side? Both sides? If both sides, is this a configuration issue, or do I have a defect for the dealer to address on my next visit.

Thanks.
Wow! You have some advanced or elite technology there. I didn't know it senses your presence without touching the handle. That's neat. I only have the tech package.

Do you think it is tied to which doors it is planning to unlock? I have to touch the handle on my car and when I do only the driver's door unlocks. I know this is configurable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The puddle lights on both the driver's and passenger's side together with the interior lights come on when I approach my TLX - SH-AWD elite.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Drivers side puddle light has stopped working on my Elite, but the passenger side is fine. Will get it fixed with my first oil change in the spring or transmission lock inspection, whichever comes first.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Drivers side puddle light has stopped working on my Elite, but the passenger side is fine. Will get it fixed with my first oil change in the spring or transmission lock inspection, whichever comes first.
Wow! This seems to be a common occurrence with Driver's side TLX puddle lights.

Sorry just noticed @bruce dow had the issue on the passenger side.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know that it is a common occurrence... My passenger side has never worked, and this might be the second instance we have heard about a puddle light failing on the driver's side???

I had my RDX in this morning for routine service, and I mentioned to them that my TLX passenger side puddle light was not working. He assured me that it would be an easy fix whenever I bring the car in.

EDIT... Just noticed your EDIT....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same problem on my car. Hoping to get it replaced on Wednesday. When it was working, both lights came on as you approached the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Defective Elite Puddle Lights

I suspect this is a design issue for sure (at least with the earlier TLXs). My late production 2015MY had the driver's side replaced at Sterne Acura in Aurora less than two months ago and now it is going in today for the Passenger's side to be replaced. LEDs are suppose to have an MTBF many times that of a standard filament bulb. Sure hope this is not indicitave of the other LEDs on the vehicle since there are all sorts in today's cars. Just wait until a tail light fails outside of warranty; you'll need to take out a bank loan for them to be replaced!!!!

I am going to stay with the vehicle today and inspect the defective one to see if the replacement one has been revised. I'll report back my findings. Surely Acura doesn't want this sort of premature failure on a $50K+ vehicle!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the passenger puddle light replaced about a year ago when it stopped working. Had the driver side puddle light replaced 2 months ago when that stopped working. Given the prevalence of this issue in this forum and others, I'm guessing there was a bad batch when they first built the car. Build date on my car was early Dec 2014 -- no idea how big the batch of puddle light bulbs were.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have a2015... with a BD of April 2015 (as I recall) no issues (yet) with the puddle lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts