Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the driver's side puddle light (under the driver's rear view mirror) the LED stopped working. The passenger side still works. I'm puzzled since LEDs are suppose to last quite a while. I hate to go to the dealer for such a silly thing since it'll take them half a day to do it. Does anyone know how to DIY? I don't want to damage/scratch anything.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I just noticed the driver's side puddle light (under the driver's rear view mirror) the LED stopped working. The passenger side still works. I'm puzzled since LEDs are suppose to last quite a while. I hate to go to the dealer for such a silly thing since it'll take them half a day to do it. Does anyone know how to DIY? I don't want to damage/scratch anything.
Reading other posts, I heard this happens a lot with TLX puddle lights.

If you do go the DIY route and pay for it yourself, you may still want to complain to your dealer and/or Acura Customer Relations. They should keep a count of these faulty lights to record the trend, in my humble opinion.
:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hopefully its a loose connector. This forum has some articles on installing puddle light projectors, the first couple of steps show how to remove the lens cap carefully.

Once removed, see if the LED is seated firmly. You can follow the guide further if you want to go further...

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are actually two different lights being discussed; the ones on the lower inside rear of the driver and passenger doors, and the lights in the underside of wing mirrors. The former is the one being discussed for LED replacement, and the latter is the one that is failing (and often seems to require the mirror housing to be replaced to fix it).

·
Registered
681 Posts
There are actually two different lights being discussed; the ones on the lower inside rear of the driver and passenger doors, and the lights in the underside of wing mirrors. The former is the one being discussed for LED replacement, and the latter is the one that is failing (and often seems to require the mirror housing to be replaced to fix it).
Good catch, my mistake!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let me know how it went. I might end up having the dealer look at it just to be on the safe side (and have it documented just like @Summest suggested).
Booked an appointment to get the light changed out, they were surprised it when out so quick. I have only that the car since January. I will let you know how the appointment goes on Monday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well took it in this past Monday and yup burnt out, so they have ordered a new one and they will install it when it comes in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well took it in this past Monday and yup burnt out, so they have ordered a new one and they will install it when it comes in.
Thanks for that... Sorry you needed to make two trips to get this fixed. I have my passenger side puddle light out. I have just been waiting for my first service to get it fixed... When I make my appointment, I will make sure to tell them about this so that they can have the bulb in stock when I arrive.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There is either a quality or fitting problem with them. Had one replaced and it lasted less than a month. No problem with the one on the passenger side after 8 months. Will see what the service department says next week when it goes in for tire swap.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Where exactly are these 2 different lights located? Do only certain models have them?

I cant say Ive ever noticed them at night lol.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The perimeter / approach puddle light are on the Advance/Elite models, located on the underside of the driver and passenger side mirror housing. They come on as you approach the car with an authorized fob.

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX 2.4L Technology
23 Posts
I just changed out my super dim puddle lights with these 6000K LEDs from JDM Astars:

They were kind of a tight fit where the bulb connects but other than that it was a very easy install. I used a flat head screwdriver to get the housing to drop down from the door and just pried softly from the side closest to the engine. You disconnect the power cable to have better access to the housing and then pop off the cover to get access to the bulb.

Before:

After:

A way cleaner look and brighter light. I'm very happy how it turned out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts