Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting to get my hands on this car for a long, long time :D
Pictures of the BCP w/ Parchment beauty attached below.

Background: This is my first time driving a new car... ever. Only driven used cars (family cars) or didn't need a vehicle due to city-living. Needless to say, I'm going to be driving this for a long time! I'm definitely open to general advice on how to give her the best care. As a first-time new car owner (a luxury car at that), there's probably all sorts of things I'm not aware of that I should be doing.

I'm not an auto junkie by any stretch of the imagination - I saw the TLX as the epitome of beauty, comfort, value, and safety/tech features. Having said that, here are some of my thoughts on the TLX so far:

- The drive is mostly smooth and to me, is an absolute blast to drive. Still, I do get why many many people complained about this so-called "jerkiness" to the transmission. I feel it ever so occasionally and it is very, very slight. For any prospective buyers out there who fall in my category (care more about value/comfort/ride than performance/power/speed) I can tell you the 2.4 gives you no problems. I wouldn't classify the rare slight tugs as an issue for me. The ride is so smooth, it absorbs bumps all day.

- On the other hand, there definitely is some hesitation to the acceleration when you floor the pedal (or come close to it). It's not every time though, I think it can vary depending on your speed and IDS mode. More time needed with this.

- There are so many little things I appreciate about this car (a lot of this is simply due to the fact that I am coming to this car from an 11-year-old entry-level car). I like how the driver's seat adjusts back when I exit and slots into my settings when I step in - it feels like a personalized invitation. The interior materials feel very, very nice, I love the leather seats and the side door materials (super comfortable to hang an arm out the window). The quietness of the cabin is ridiculous - just super relaxing. I love having IDS, I switch it up between Eco, Norm, and Sport.

- LKAS, Blind Spot Information, and Brake Hold all work to perfection and I appreciate having them all. Especially BSI.

- The dual-screen setup is not an issue for me. Mild irritation with the number of finger presses required to set A/C and adjust fan speeds but other than that, it is very functional. It's handy to have the NAV up on top at all points. Is there lag when typing in addresses to the NAV? Hmm, yes a little bit but it's not too bad. I actually use voice recognition here and there (e.g. Find nearest mexican restaurant) and it's been responding very well. Also, as someone who's exclusively been using Google Maps for navigation, I got used to Acura's navigation pretty quickly and it's pretty good. I haven't had any issues with the car being unable to find me, putting me on the wrong street, etc.

- Wish the MID had less screens to cycle through - there's something like 8 different screens it can display. Is it really necessary to have one display option solely to show the % oil life and nothing else? It would have been nice to have combined fuel efficiency and miles remaining in one display, and to have a directional compass always displayed somewhere on the dash (the NAV does have a tiny one).

- ELS audio system is pretty good depending on the audio source you choose. I haven't had a chance to test CD's yet but music playing from a USB thumb drive sounded impressive, especially when you crank up the volume. XM radio sound quality from these speakers suck though.

- Have received many compliments on the Acura's looks from friends :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your initial report.

There are many small details that Acura got right and "delight" the owners. I think too many times, we forget about these and only concentrate on the "un-delighters."

Where in the USA are your located? I am in the snowy northeast and will need snow tires in a few months (hopefully 5+ months).

You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Needless to say, I'm going to be driving this for a long time! I'm definitely open to general advice on how to give her the best care. As a first-time new car owner (a luxury car at that), there's probably all sorts of things I'm not aware of that I should be doing.
Welcome! It should not make a difference if you are a first time new owner or not. Best care practices are:
- get it serviced as prompted by the Maintenance Info on the cars display. This is usually best performed by your dealer (at a premium), or a good indie
- keep the interior and exterior clean and remove bird droppings as soon as possible
- do not eat in the car to avoid spills and smells
- do not drive closely behind heavy vehicles, especially on the highways to avoid stone chips
- drive it like you would like to keep it a long time. This means no tailgating or exploring the limits of the car in corners. Yes this is boring, but you asked.

Enjoy the car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm still very new myself, but I read this site daily. I'm currently teetering on the edge of buying a TLX myself. I have been hesitating because of the transmission horror stories I've heard. In fact, I have a recent post asking for input about the transmissions on newer TLX's. And your post has pushed me over a little more into pulling the trigger on buying one. And thanks for kind of outlining some of the other features as well! Very helpful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm still very new myself, but I read this site daily. I'm currently teetering on the edge of buying a TLX myself. I have been hesitating because of the transmission horror stories I've heard. In fact, I have a recent post asking for input about the transmissions on newer TLX's. And your post has pushed me over a little more into pulling the trigger on buying one. And thanks for kind of outlining some of the other features as well! Very helpful.
I got my TLX Advance in February and, while the transmission feels different from my previous cars, I have no issues or complaints at this point. The car is a lot of fun to drive.:D

With the button shifter I do have to go through a mental checklist when I park as to the button sequence (Park - Parking Break - Engine Stop) but the car is generally forgiving if you screw up the sequence. My biggest concern is getting foreign matter such as liquid or food into the shifter. My service manager told me that one of her area Acura reps enjoys eating French fries in his car and got a salt crystal into the shifter. His warnings lit up like a Christmas tree but a service tech removed the cover and used a compressed air blaster to clear the problem.>:D

If you drink in the car keep the drinks covered so they don't slosh out and be very careful when eating in the drivers seat.;)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I've been waiting to get my hands on this car for a long, long time :D
Congratulations on your getting your new TLX.

Overall your review was pretty good. Of course, opinions may vary, especially where music is concerned. :)

What XM station are you listening to?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great choice of colour! Welcome to the group and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

What XM station are you listening to?
I'm bouncing around multiple stations to be honest and none of them sound too impressive. Not knocking the ELS system though, it sounds pretty good when the source audio is good - I just think it's an XM thing. Although, one of the XM Classical stations with the windows rolled up sounds really good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice intro!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome, a nice color selection.

You do need to play around with the audio control to find the best setting for your needs. Other posts suggest that turning off ANC makes a difference but it seems the same to me. Others have said that tilting the sunroof also improves the bass. Try them all and form your own conclusions. But most important, just enjoy the lovely car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts