Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dealership is offering prepaid maintenance package for $1295 ( US dollars). is it worth? how much is typical maintenance cost for first 4 years or 48k miles?

·
Registered
438 Posts
really? i thought acura and lexus do not offer them normally (MB and audi do, while BMW covers it already in the cost)

i would imagine it to be around $1500 over 4 years, but thats a really rough estimate. a prepaid package should give you at least 20% discount for it to be worthwhile to make you pay upfront. even though german cars gets serviced less frequently (less visits) than acura or lexus, i think audi is cheaper and mercedes is in line with what you are offered

but i think it really depends how much you drive per year (or how soon you will reach 48K mile limit)

if i were you, i would try to haggle, since this doesnt seem to be a corporate thing (looks like a dealership offer). i think you can do abit better if you can

·
Registered
438 Posts
a good guesstimate would be to look up edmund's true cost to own table, which shows you the cost over 5 years including insurance maintenance etc

since the TLX is too new, i just used a previous-year TL as a guess.

5 Year Details
Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5 5 Yr Total
Depreciation $10,191 $3,891 $3,426 $3,036 $2,724 $23,268
Taxes & Fees $2,534 $0 $90 $0 $90 $2,714
Financing $1,277 $1,014 $740 $457 $163 $3,651
Fuel $2,785 $2,868 $2,954 $3,043 $3,134 $14,784
Insurance $2,978 $3,082 $3,190 $3,302 $3,417 $15,969
Maintenance $337 $773 $511 $2,353 $3,061 $7,035
Repairs $0 $0 $0 $478 $734 $1,212
Tax Credit $0 $0
True Cost to Own ® $20,102 $11,628 $10,911 $12,669 $13,323 $68,633

the chart is based on a 5-year estimate with 15,000 miles driven per year. which means by year 3 you will hit 45K, which is close to the warranty limit. also notice that by year 4 the maintenance costs skyrockets, since the warranty is over after that.

anyways, so it's 336+773+511 = $1600-ish to cover your 45K miles

·
Registered
666 Posts
The seller makes money on the deal when:
- the car is in stolen or written off
- the car is sold and the package is not transferred
- your mileage is lower (not as many service visits performed), or you delay in having it serviced
- interest on the payment up front
- can claim that some replacement part was not covered

This is all upside for them with virtually no downside, and the only upside for you is the potential of saving money. It is not like an extended warranty where you hope that there are no problems, but if there are then you are covered. This is just prepaying maintenance that should be performed anyway.

They also get to keep you as a customer as you cannot go anywhere else for service. If this was an Acura wide program it would be more valuable.

I paid about C$1,400 for all the services on my TL up to 48K and that was a quite a few years ago. Factor in inflation and the price quoted in the ballpark. You should be planning to exceed the mileage limit, so that the full package will have been used. All this indicates that you may be able to negotiate for a better deal.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

My Dealership is offering prepaid maintenance package for $1295 ( US dollars). is it worth? how much is typical maintenance cost for first 4 years or 48k miles?
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

I also see you have received replies already. Great! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for quick replies! The financial guy told me that this is from Acura and can be used in any dealership across the nation. I will check again with them and confirm.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If its really from corporate acura, you would have heard enough people talking about it by now, which doesnt seem to be the case

are you sure you are not confusing it with Acura Care, which is their extended warranty? that can be used with any acura dealership, but again it's extended warranty not prepaid maintenance and does not kick in until after the standard warranty has expired

·
Registered
666 Posts
From my limited experience, finance reps are like "snake oil" salesmen. I would read that fine print very carefully to make sure that you understand what they are pushing and what you are paying for.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i also just checked acura's website, there is no mention of this "prepaid maintenance package" anywhere unlike audi or MB.

therefore, i dont believe such thing exists from acura corporate. again, people would have talked about it by now if it really existed

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I suggest to talk to the dealer and see what exactly it is. Find out if you can use it at any Acura dealer or if you're tied to that one specific dealer. Also find out if its transferable in case you want to sell the car before it's over. Personally I wouldn't tie myself to one specific dealer. It locks you in and you lose the ability to switch dealers if things don't go well at that one service dept.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am certain this is maintenance package not extended warranty. I am visiting the dealership tomorrow, will post the update.

·
Registered
438 Posts
if they claim that it can be serviced in any acura dealer across the US, make sure there is a 100% sure way that other dealers will honor it. Just because they say so doesnt mean other dealers will agree as well. once you pay the money, and other dealers will not honor it, it will be difficult to get the money back.

OP may want to contact acura HQ and ask if such a prepaid maintenance package exists and if corporate will actually honor it for all acura dealers across the country, since "supposedly" the money OP pays goes to coroporate which reimburses the dealership when the service is done, whichever dealership OP chooses to go to.

if it's really tied to corporate, then a prepaid maintenance package will likely be tied to the VIN and not the owner name, and technically should be transferable if the car changes ownership as long as the VIN records are the same, which should be. this is similar to how audi and MB offers their maintenance packages as well.

if the car is totaled or stolen then you are SOL, much like one-time pre-paid lease payment

but again, this is all hypothetical.....check to make sure

and most likely wear n tear items like brake pads will not be covered, in case OP is not aware

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chy, you got it for only $1200ish? **** it! My dealer sold my for $1600ish and I took it. The dealer (actually the financial guy) said 4 year/4800 mile will cost about $2800 by showing me a table listing the cost for each of scheduled maintenance over 4 years. I knew Audi's maintenance package is worth it, so I took Acura's package too. Apparently, I should've done more research...

·
Registered
438 Posts
well, audi is worth it because its only $700-800 or so

but ya u should have done more research, as acura corporate never offers prepaid maintenance too

never heard back from OP, wonder how his case turned out....

·
Registered
520 Posts
well, audi is worth it because its only $700-800 or so

but ya u should have done more research, as acura corporate never offers prepaid maintenance too

never heard back from OP, wonder how his case turned out....
It appears that it is through Acura Financial Services, which is as close to corporate as it is going to get.
Here is a brochure I just found online:
http://www.acurafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Acura_Care_Maintenance.pdf

I also noticed that they mentioned Acura Care Service Contracts and found this:
Acura Financial Services Browser Detect

Still not worth it IMO...unless they stick to what they originally sold me which was 100,000 miles with unlimited years...but they didn't :|

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone think this prepaid maintenance package is a good idea and worth the money. i'm curious for anyone's thoughts. I'm an Acura newbie...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have owned Acuras since 1988 and they rarely had any issues in the first 100,000 miles beyond oil, tires and brakes.

All of those are relatively cheap or can be done by self or any garage that you know/trust, or sale and not locked into one place. Dealer quoted maintenance prices are the maximum, but my dealer has coupons/specials that are much less than standard quote. For example an A1 or A2 code may list for $50 or $100, but usually can do for $20 or $30. Filters are a great example. Dealer quotes A2 or B2 involves filters replacement that each cost maybe $10 each, but Acura will charge you $30 or $40 each to replace.....a 5 minute job with screwdriver. Even if you don't/can't do any maintenance I know many people go to a Honda dealer or independent shop for these jobs because the hourly rate is much less.

I looked at my maintenance costs on my 07 TL and mine was well under $1000 for 50,000 miles....and some of that was at the dealer

It is a new model, but the warranty should cover any other problems that you have early on.

That has been my experience and my 2 cents

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mileage has a lot to do with any purchase of a prepaid maintenance program. I'm lucky in the fact that I'll probably have less than 20k once my 3 year lease expires. I'd be tossing $$ out the sunroof. I'm currently at 3500 miles since 9-7-2014 and sitting at 60% oil life. At this rate, my cost of ownership will be pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Although my TLX is my first Acura, I had a 2002 Honda Civic for 12.5 years that I took to Honda dealerships for all 12.5 years all the way to 175k. So I'm familiar with dealership maintenance and repairs for Honda at least.

For what it's worth, I bought (and negotiated) an extended warranty for 7 yrs - 100k for this TLX, being a first year model and highly electronic, but I personally would not buy a prepaid dealer service plan as detailed in original question in this post.

A couple of things to consider:

(1) dealer lock-in -- I actually switched Honda dealers halfway through my Civic's life because of 2 bad visits in a row at the first dealer from which I bought the Civic. In fact, a mechanic actually quit the dealer in the middle of working on my car's oil change + tire rotation, and even after taking 3 hours to do the oil change, they forgot the tire caps and my wheel lock, and the following visit was even worse. Better service at 2nd Honda dealer over the past 6 years led me to buy my TLX from its sister Acura dealer last year.

(2) loss of freedom to choose outside parts -- e.g., I like to put "other than OEM" tires (and rims in the case of my Civic) from places like Tire Rack and various other parts/places, whereas a dealer will only use dealer parts. I put in a Sears Diehard cold-start battery in my Civic that was 50% better CCA (cold cranking amps) than the Honda battery, which is critical when the car sits in temperatures of -30 to -20 deg in snow/ice for 5 days in ski country. some people are picky on wipers or headlight bulbs too.

(3) sale or loss of car -- even if it is transferable, is it worth the effort to do the transfer? After all, your buyer won't value the prepaid service the way you do, especially since they'll be asking all the same questions and may have no intention of using a dealer for service

(4) some maintenance I could do myself -- light bulbs, some filters, wiper blades, etc. so why prepay for something I plan to do myself?

(5) dubious and possibly small amount of money saved, and difficulty in aligning the dealer maintenance schedule to the one in the Honda manual. What happens if dealer changes the maintenance schedule -- e.g., Civics had a extreme conditions vs. normal conditions maintenance schedule, and different people recommended one or the other based on whom you spoke with. Both Honda dealers had different maintenance schedules, and both differed from the Honda manual. I just followed the Civic manual, and had no issues up to 175k. My friend has the Civic now, and no issues up to 185k. Also, dealer per hour rates change up or down with the times/economy & competition, and depending on the service, sometimes the dealer was cheaper than outside sources. Without a service plan, you keep your freedom to shop around and negotiate

(6) dealer coupons -- I saved a *lot* on my Civic with dealer coupons for key maintenance items, and they offered even more discounts after my Civic passed 100k just to keep the business.... and the proud bragging rights saying 175k in front of other customers when the dealer asked for the odometer reading on my car when I brought it in.

For these reasons, I personally would not buy the prepaid service, but you'll need to figure out whether any of this applies to you, and how much value you'll get out of the prepaid plan vs. paying out of pocket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Although my TLX is my first Acura, I had a 2002 Honda Civic for 12.5 years that I took to Honda dealerships for all 12.5 years all the way to 175k. So I'm familiar with dealership maintenance and repairs for Honda at least.

For what it's worth, I bought (and negotiated) an extended warranty for 7 yrs - 100k for this TLX, being a first year model and highly electronic, but I personally would not buy a prepaid dealer service plan as detailed in original question in this post.

A couple of things to consider:

(1) dealer lock-in -- I actually switched Honda dealers halfway through my Civic's life because of 2 bad visits in a row at the first dealer from which I bought the Civic. In fact, a mechanic actually quit the dealer in the middle of working on my car's oil change + tire rotation, and even after taking 3 hours to do the oil change, they forgot the tire caps and my wheel lock, and the following visit was even worse. Better service at 2nd Honda dealer over the past 6 years led me to buy my TLX from its sister Acura dealer last year.

(2) loss of freedom to choose outside parts -- e.g., I like to put "other than OEM" tires (and rims in the case of my Civic) from places like Tire Rack and various other parts/places, whereas a dealer will only use dealer parts. I put in a Sears Diehard cold-start battery in my Civic that was 50% better CCA (cold cranking amps) than the Honda battery, which is critical when the car sits in temperatures of -30 to -20 deg in snow/ice for 5 days in ski country. some people are picky on wipers or headlight bulbs too.

(3) sale or loss of car -- even if it is transferable, is it worth the effort to do the transfer? After all, your buyer won't value the prepaid service the way you do, especially since they'll be asking all the same questions and may have no intention of using a dealer for service

(4) some maintenance I could do myself -- light bulbs, some filters, wiper blades, etc. so why prepay for something I plan to do myself?

(5) dubious and possibly small amount of money saved, and difficulty in aligning the dealer maintenance schedule to the one in the Honda manual. What happens if dealer changes the maintenance schedule -- e.g., Civics had a extreme conditions vs. normal conditions maintenance schedule, and different people recommended one or the other based on whom you spoke with. Both Honda dealers had different maintenance schedules, and both differed from the Honda manual. I just followed the Civic manual, and had no issues up to 175k. My friend has the Civic now, and no issues up to 185k. Also, dealer per hour rates change up or down with the times/economy & competition, and depending on the service, sometimes the dealer was cheaper than outside sources. Without a service plan, you keep your freedom to shop around and negotiate

(6) dealer coupons -- I saved a *lot* on my Civic with dealer coupons for key maintenance items, and they offered even more discounts after my Civic passed 100k just to keep the business.... and the proud bragging rights saying 175k in front of other customers when the dealer asked for the odometer reading on my car when I brought it in.

For these reasons, I personally would not buy the prepaid service, but you'll need to figure out whether any of this applies to you, and how much value you'll get out of the prepaid plan vs. paying out of pocket.
Andleigh,

How much did they charge you for the extended warranty. I know it's too early yet, but do you think it's a worthwhile investment? Many on this forum and also online reviews and consumer forums say that it is not worth getting. It's an additional 1200-1500$ over the price of the car. I am trying to decide if I should take it or not.

Thanks
J

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts