Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detest plate frames. They don't appear to enhance the appearance of the car, yet the car looks worse without them. The fronts I don't care that much about, but I need to figure out something that will complement if not improve the rear plate frame issue. I was thinking about the chrome frame with the wide bottom, hitting it with primer, then painting it to match the body color with custom blended rattle can paint...

Any better suggestions???

Reactions: Flexin5 and MTD

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
That sounds like a good compromise. Did you check Amazon or EBay? There are a few vendors who may already have what you're looking for.

Right now I still have the dealer plate frame.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agree with above, especially when i am advertising for the dealer - it cheapens the car. I simply removed the cheap plastic frame on the rear and got rid of the rattle.

The front is more of an issue, as it is a full plastic shield (with advertising). With no shield it is likely more vulnerable to stones etc, so i would need a full shield replacement.

But i havent looked very hard...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
No frame, tinted covers, front relocated to the side JDM style.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
When I bought my 1984 Accord LX, the car had a neat frame that I have used for every car since. It's beginning to crack and age in the back but it still looks new from the front.

I have been looking for a replacement, but I cannot find one. The frame is low profile with rounded edges. The tag slide into the frame, like an envelope, and then the frame bolts to the car.

I asked the parts department at Acura. They haven't seen anything like it. :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my 1984 Accord LX, the car had a neat frame that I have used for every car since. It's beginning to crack and age in the back but it still looks new from the front.

I have been looking for a replacement, but I cannot find one. The frame is low profile with rounded edges. The tag slide into the frame, like an envelope, and then the frame bolts to the car.

I asked the parts department at Acura. They haven't seen anything like it. :(
Yes. Thanks Summest.

I've been snooping around on Amazon, the Acura dealer, the Honda dealer. I'm just not feelin' it...

Reactions: HAx5 and Summest

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know what you mean about not liking frames but still needing them.

I actually purchased a frame before I bought the car because I knew it would come with one of those dealer frames. I have the graphite luster metallic paint so I figured black would be the best choice for the frame color. Along with the thin fame I purchased some black screw caps so that I wouldn't have to see the silver screw heads.

Here are the links to what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-20050-Classic-Black/dp/B00032K1QI

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 82050 Screw Covers, Black: Automotive

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts

I actually purchased a frame before I bought the car because I knew it would come with one of those dealer frames. I have the graphite luster metallic paint so I figured black would be the best choice for the frame color. Along with the thin fame I purchased some black screw caps so that I wouldn't have to see the silver screw heads.

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 30650 Perimeter, Black: Automotive

Looks like good quality! Gonna put this on my shopping list. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 30650 Perimeter, Black: Automotive

I appreciate your response and thumbnail.
Among the things that make the TLX attractive is the sparse amount of badging surrounding the vehicle. I'm thinking about incorporating some level of chrome around the plate to complement the badging and reflector surrounds. Likely to design something custom involving body paint color and chrome.
Stay tuned...

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agree with above, especially when i am advertising for the dealer - it cheapens the car. I simply removed the cheap plastic frame on the rear and got rid of the rattle.
No waaaaay. With each car I've purchased, I've had the dealer remove any trace that I bought it from there. Decals, plates, frames, all of it! I have my schools heavy metal frame on it right now, and it matches almost perfectly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I appreciate your response and thumbnail.
Among the things that make the TLX attractive is the sparse amount of badging surrounding the vehicle. I'm thinking about incorporating some level of chrome around the plate to complement the badging and reflector surrounds. Likely to design something custom involving body paint color and chrome.
Stay tuned...
Just wanted to quote you and let you know as well that I had the wrong frame.

Also, the same company makes the exact same style of frame and caps in chrome :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
No waaaaay. With each car I've purchased, I've had the dealer remove any trace that I bought it from there. Decals, plates, frames, all of it! I have my schools heavy metal frame on it right now, and it matches almost perfectly.
That was another requirement when I ordered my car...no dealer badges/emblems. They installed the plate frame which I didn't mind as I was going to remove the temporary tag as soon as I got my registration complete.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the Cruiser clear bubble covers. (tinted or smoked are illegal here)

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 72100 Clear 'Bubble' License Plate Shield: Automotive

I am using them without frames.

I'll try to post a picture later.
That actually would look good on the TLX if only it were legal in California. I was pulled over and cited a few years ago for having a clear plastic (new) cover for my plate and a non-functioning brake lamp. (I can see my brake lamps in my across-the-street neighbor's picture window each morning...chicken$#%&!).

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ive had tinted covers on every car for the past 20 years and Ive never had an issue with the police and plate covers.

According to the Highway Traffic act, obscuring the plate is illegal, but the wording is very vague and allows to cop to use their discretion. You could technically get a ticket for it, but I think the cop would have to be a real d!ck to issue one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive had tinted covers on every car for the past 20 years and Ive never had an issue with the police and plate covers.

According to the Highway Traffic act, obscuring the plate is illegal, but the wording is very vague and allows to cop to use their discretion. You could technically get a ticket for it, but I think the cop would have to be a real d!ck to issue one.
That last part would describe it precisely. I bade him a safe afternoon...

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
168 Posts

Here in Ontario, where they WILL stop you is where you are using the "407" toll highway that bills you based on taking a photo of your license plate. When it first opened, there was a trend to using tinted plates to prevent the cameras from getting a clear read of your plate number, and thus avoiding the tolls.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts