Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on a TLX AWD Tech when our 03 TL-s finally dies. Have an 07 MDX as the family hauler but with 145k miles and climbing I'd like to spread some of the miles around for a couple of years before replacing with another MDX (rather carry only one car pmt).

Has anyone here added roof racks to a TLX and/or a cargo box long enough to carry skis? I did a Google search but didn't turn up any TLX pix with racks. Even the Acura.com website (or accessory brochure) does not list racks or photos specific to the TLX.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
Not here. Gave up skiing after I tore up my knee!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
There are no OEM roof racks and as Acura don't have any for their sedans I can't see them coming soon.
Chances are even if you found them they would look like the other third party TL roof racks that have been created...awful!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Planning on a TLX AWD Tech when our 03 TL-s finally dies. Have an 07 MDX as the family hauler but with 145k miles and climbing I'd like to spread some of the miles around for a couple of years before replacing with another MDX (rather carry only one car pmt).

Has anyone here added roof racks to a TLX and/or a cargo box long enough to carry skis? I did a Google search but didn't turn up any TLX pix with racks. Even the Acura.com website (or accessory brochure) does not list racks or photos specific to the TLX.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

There are a couple of active skiers in our members' roster. Maybe some ideas will surface.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at Thule and they have absolutely nothing to fit the TLX. Yakima has the universal tower that wedges a bracket under where the door seal hits the roof and then a foot that sits on the roof. So basically you get potential interference with your door closing and seal issues and roof paint damage where the feet sit. Not a good solution at all.

I can't understand why Acura wouldn't engineer a basic rack solution with so many so 'activity driven'.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That sucks, hopefully there won't be too much of a wait to see these come to market, being the activity driven vehicle as you explained it'll be slower than say for an ... Accord.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Accord also has no Honda approved rack - hasn't since '07 apparently. Doing a quick survey (of lux mfg) - BMW (I checked the 5-series) managed to be the only 2015 sedan mfg willing to supply roof racks. Benz did, but only for the wagons. Lexus and Infinity listed no racks as accessory options. Looks like it's the 'universal mount' option or nothing.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Perhaps you can get some sort of trunk mount for skis instead of a roof rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not my ride. I ran into this guy while we were visiting the Denver area and I snapped picks of his rack. He got it done at Rack Attack in Golden, CO. It looked good on the car. I am planning on doing the same to my 2018 TLX Tech soon. Sorry, I didn't take any of the actual profile of the car w/ the rack. When I get mine done, I'll post here. But hopefully this helps someone. I have been looking for info/pics on racks and hitches, and there isn't much out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts