Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my factory ELS audio amplifier with the Phantom Audio elite replacement amplifier and wanted to share a few pictures and the approach I took to help anyone else considering this upgrade.

The phantom audio replacement amplifier is a factory OEM amplifier that has been rebuilt with upgraded electronics so the amplifier chassis is identical and it mounts in the existing space with existing wiring. I chose this solution as I wanted to keep as much cargo space as possible by avoiding adding additional electronics to the car if possible.

The location inside the TLX is on the passenger side under the glove box fastened to firewall and passenger side of the car.

There is one panel to remove that is just under the glove box to get access to the amplifier. You just need to pull on it gently and it unclips from the car. See panel below.

I pushed the seat back as far as it would go to get a look at the amplifier placement. The amp sits a little bit high up on the firewall so its a bit of a stretch to get the mounting fasteners removed. I removed the passenger seat to make room to lay down in the car to easier position myself to see and access the amplifier mounting. You may not need to do this if you are a short person and some kind of yoga master. I am not short or a yogi.

The amp is held in place by 2 nuts which fasten onto studs protruding from the firewall and one bolt that fastens to the passenger side of the car. The fasteners were all 10mm. I used a 10mm 1/4 drive deep socket to remove the two lower fasteners. I also used the deep socket and ratchet on the upper firewall stud trading off to using a 10mm combination wrench. The upper one is challenging to get a wrench/socket onto so do what works for you. With the upper firewall stud you only need to loosen the nut a few turns so the upper bracket has enough room to slide out.

The wiring is very simple. Just disconnect the three harnesses.

With the harnesses disconnected and the fasteners removed you can pull the amplifier out of the space with a little bit of swearing and sweating.

Install in the reverse order.

This took me about 90 minutes to complete.

The sound quality is greatly improved over the stock amplifier and the front door speakers are producing a lot more punch than before.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cool. I just assumed this would never happen for the TLX but this is a great option to consider. I wish they shared a little more on the technical side. Like what is the "elite series" upgrade and what components between each version are getting swapped out that improve the sound that the factory amp wasn't accomplishing?

Also they noted stock tweeter replacements but I didn't see any. If that's a thing though that's awesome.

Based on the wiring in the image you shared it looks like you have the ELS system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I just assumed this would never happen for the TLX but this is a great option to consider. I wish they shared a little more on the technical side. Like what is the "elite series" upgrade and what components between each version are getting swapped out that improve the sound that the factory amp wasn't accomplishing?

Also they noted stock tweeter replacements but I didn't see any. If that's a thing though that's awesome.

Based on the wiring in the image you shared it looks like you have the ELS system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it is the ELS system. If you go to the phantom audio Facebook page you can start a chat with Jesse from phantom audio and he was able to answer any questions I had about technical information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently upgraded my factory ELS audio amplifier with the Phantom Audio elite replacement amplifier and wanted to share a few pictures and the approach I took to help anyone else considering this upgrade.

The phantom audio replacement amplifier is a factory OEM amplifier that has been rebuilt with upgraded electronics so the amplifier chassis is identical and it mounts in the existing space with existing wiring. I chose this solution as I wanted to keep as much cargo space as possible by avoiding adding additional electronics to the car if possible.

The location inside the TLX is on the passenger side under the glove box fastened to firewall and passenger side of the car.

There is one panel to remove that is just under the glove box to get access to the amplifier. You just need to pull on it gently and it unclips from the car. See panel below.

View attachment 25423

I pushed the seat back as far as it would go to get a look at the amplifier placement. The amp sits a little bit high up on the firewall so its a bit of a stretch to get the mounting fasteners removed. I removed the passenger seat to make room to lay down in the car to easier position myself to see and access the amplifier mounting. You may not need to do this if you are a short person and some kind of yoga master. I am not short or a yogi.

The amp is held in place by 2 nuts which fasten onto studs protruding from the firewall and one bolt that fastens to the passenger side of the car. The fasteners were all 10mm. I used a 10mm 1/4 drive deep socket to remove the two lower fasteners. I also used the deep socket and ratchet on the upper firewall stud trading off to using a 10mm combination wrench. The upper one is challenging to get a wrench/socket onto so do what works for you. With the upper firewall stud you only need to loosen the nut a few turns so the upper bracket has enough room to slide out.

View attachment 25425

The wiring is very simple. Just disconnect the three harnesses.

View attachment 25426

With the harnesses disconnected and the fasteners removed you can pull the amplifier out of the space with a little bit of swearing and sweating.

Install in the reverse order.

This took me about 90 minutes to complete.

The sound quality is greatly improved over the stock amplifier and the front door speakers are producing a lot more punch than before.
Some before and after pictures of the electronics.

Bottom of circuit board pre upgrade:

after upgrade: the elite upgrade included upgrade from JRC to Texas Instruments Burr Brown chips.

top of the circuit board before upgrade:

after upgrade:

The changes included upgraded Mosfets, caps, opamps and some power circuit trace improvements. What that means to me is that it sounds great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,096 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with such fine detail!

·
Registered
108 Posts
With those upgrades to the power amp, have you noticed any change in its operating temperature? I’d think it might need more air movement around the heat sink fins to dissipate extra heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With those upgrades to the power amp, have you noticed any change in its operating temperature? I’d think it might need more air movement around the heat sink fins to dissipate extra heat.
I really could not tell you. I never monitored the heat before the upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts