Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed a rattle coming from the passenger side area I'm thinking somewhere around the seat belt area, has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Two things to check would be to make sure the seat belt latch isn't twisted against the door. I've also noticed that if I hit a bump just right the passenger seat back will rattle....well more like a rapid thumping sound. It doesn't happen all the time though. I have to hit it just the right way.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
I had one that bugged me a while. Found out it was a CD jewel case that fell into the area between the passenger door sill and the seat. It was silent after removing that jewel case!
First thing is to clear out the car of anything that is not attached. Including everything in the glove box. Look under the seats, between seats, storage bins, door pockets,...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this same rattle. The TLX was in the garage twice to try and fix this but it is still there. Next time I am in I will mention again. It seemed like they fixed it, but came back within two weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this same rattle. The TLX was in the garage twice to try and fix this but it is still there. Next time I am in I will mention again. It seemed like they fixed it, but came back within two weeks.
If your dealership happens to figure out what the culprit was I'd love to know.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to empty all the stuff in my glove box and put it in the trunk to see if the noise happens to go away.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, if you put your rear seats down recently, make sure they are firmly locked back in place or the rear seats will vibrate too. This probably goes without saying, but make sure all the doors are closed fully -- not every passenger closes them properly, especially when in a hurry.

I had a pen and sunglasses case in the middle storage bin between front seats cause a rattle as well -- I added a fabric bag to line this bin to eliminate any and all future rattles out of this bin. Certain orientations of sunglasses in the glasses holder in the ceiling will cause a rattle -- wish Acura added some felt or whatever to eliminate that rattle (and protect my lenses).

I learned the same thing about the seat belt latch as @Andrei12dbsi a few months back as well. I've heard the same passenger seat thump over potholes -- have you found any orientation / position of the passenger seat to minimize this?

On my old Civic, the front passenger seat belt receptor used to sometimes rattle (assuming no one in that seat) when it vibrated against either the console or the seat itself -- I solved that by inserting a wedge of paper folded over many times to keep it still. Of course, my Civic was a heck of a lot noiser than my near whisper quiet TLX, so I'm much more sensitive to these rattles now than before.

Generally, I've found it pretty tough to find the sources of rattle while driving, and very often, the source of the rattle was *not* where I expected, presumably because the sounds reflects off windows, doors, etc. But yes, it certainly helps to empty the car *completely* including trunk and slowly add things back a few at a time so you can identify the guilty party
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow andleigh, very good suggestions.

Mentioning fabric gave me an idea. I'm going to add some stick on velcro (the fuzzy side) to some of the surfaces that might be most prone to plastic on plastic contact and see if it helps. I've seen it done on the seat belt buckles of my dad's Jeep and figure that rattling might be the reason why.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The sound reflecting is a big issue. But i've found it to be helpful to have someone drive while you're in the back trying to hear where the sound is most concentrated.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Wow andleigh, very good suggestions.

Mentioning fabric gave me an idea. I'm going to add some stick on velcro (the fuzzy side) to some of the surfaces that might be most prone to plastic on plastic contact and see if it helps. I've seen it done on the seat belt buckles of my dad's Jeep and figure that rattling might be the reason why.
Have the dealer do this. You have a new vehicle with a 4 year warranty (or more if you bought more). This material you speak of is a common fix to rattles (as found in the assembly line).
The adhesive is important. I've seen some of the velcro adhesive fail and then leave "gunk" where it was.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I learned the same thing about the seat belt latch as @Andrei12dbsi a few months back as well. I've heard the same passenger seat thump over potholes -- have you found any orientation / position of the passenger seat to minimize this?

I haven't played with the position of the seat to see if that makes a difference. It doesn't occur enough to bother me really. There is one bump that I go over on a regular basis and it will do it every time. It doesn't happen anywhere else though. It's just the angle that I hit the bump I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I scheduled a service appointment tomorrow to have the issue checked out. What a relief that Acura has loaner cars (first car I've owned that offers this). I'll report back with details on what the technicians discover.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I scheduled a service appointment tomorrow to have the issue checked out. What a relief that Acura has loaner cars (first car I've owned that offers this). I'll report back with details on what the technicians discover.
I know what you mean. For a while it's only been higher end dealers like BMW and Mercedes. I recall most Honda/Acura owners having to rely on rentals which at times aren't all that great especially since they give you a car equal the value of yours or less with the latter being much more common.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this now. It is the seatbelt receptacle that vibrates rapidly and hits the arm rest. I have the launch kit with Michelin super sports, I think they create undo vibrations for some reason. What tires do u have?? I am taking it in to see if tires are the issue. I can get it to stop by moving the seat belt thing to another position. Hope this helps. J

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I have this now. It is the seatbelt receptacle that vibrates rapidly and hits the arm rest. I have the launch kit with Michelin super sports, I think they create undo vibrations for some reason. What tires do u have?? I am taking it in to see if tires are the issue. I can get it to stop by moving the seat belt thing to another position. Hope this helps. J

I have the 19 inch Michelin Super Sports on mine and I do notice that the ride is more rough from the stock 18s. It could contribute to a few more things moving around in the interior. For my situation it's just the passenger seat back under certain conditions as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so the issue was a loose fastener or some other part on the passenger side seat track. I'm glad it only took a couple of hours for the issue to be diagnosed and fixed. If it were my old Jeep, I'd probably hear back in a day or two. So far my Acura ownership experience has been great.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I hope your couple of hours in the Service waiting room was also enjoyable!!
When my wife saw all the goodies in that area, she said she would go for the service visits!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone else had this issue? I picked up my car Monday and I noticed something similar today. If it happens again I'll bring it in however if it's an easy fix I would prefer to just tighten the track myself.

Any additional details on this would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I discovered that the passenger seatbelt receptor rattles/vibrates when not being used. To resolve it I just push it forward and it stops vibrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread! I have the same rattling in the passenger seat/seat belt area too. Happens when driving at low speeds over bumpy pavement, and I always see the passenger seat back vibrating like crazy when the rattling is happening. The seat seems to be very well anchored so I've been thinking it is probably something other than the seat.

I've played around with the seat belt height adjustment to no avail, but will give some of these other suggestions a review today. Short of that, its going to the dealer to fix.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts