Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah... it's new alright! So I see there really isn't anything here yet. Time to add some content!

I have two questions that are top of mind right now that I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to. The answer might also be similar for the TLX so I'll go looking on that side shortly.

First, when we were checking out the RDX we were told that our phone can be paired up to read and send SMS messages. Acura's website claims iPhones don't work with the feature but the sales dude claimed there is a way to make it work. Anyone know how to do that?

Second, has anyone installed an aftermarket remote starter? I'm fairly adept at installing automotive electronics myself (I've put in Viper remote starters in my Xterra and STi) but I know the RDX is much more closely tied to its electronics so I'm curious what the options are. I'm just looking for a simple one that can use the OEM fob to remotely start and stop the engine.

Thanks all!
V

(If you feel this post would be better off in a different sub-section please move it)

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Yeah... it's new alright! So I see there really isn't anything here yet. Time to add some content!

I have two questions that are top of mind right now that I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to. The answer might also be similar for the TLX so I'll go looking on that side shortly.

First, when we were checking out the RDX we were told that our phone can be paired up to read and send SMS messages. Acura's website claims iPhones don't work with the feature but the sales dude claimed there is a way to make it work. Anyone know how to do that?

Second, has anyone installed an aftermarket remote starter? I'm fairly adept at installing automotive electronics myself (I've put in Viper remote starters in my Xterra and STi) but I know the RDX is much more closely tied to its electronics so I'm curious what the options are. I'm just looking for a simple one that can use the OEM fob to remotely start and stop the engine.

Thanks all!
V

(If you feel this post would be better off in a different sub-section please move it)
Thanks for contributing.

I've moved your post as it will start to populate the other areas of the forum and it is electronics related.

I don't have an RDX so I can't confirm but I'll give it a shot based on my past two Hondas and my current TLX.

When you pair the phone, you need to make sure the Show Notifications is on in the Handsfreelink Bluetooth connection on your phone.

This will allow you to receive texts. You will not be able to reply to texts from the phone but you should be able to access Siri to respond to texts by pressing and holding the Talk button on your steering wheel.

@MTD has an iPhone and an RDX. He may be able to confirm my response.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes, correct. With an iPhone, it will read you the incoming text verbally. Same with an Android, but you can also send a preselected response. With an iPhone, you can use Siri to dictate a response and it will send it that way. Ive found the Siri voice recognition much better then the car itself too.

Cant help you with the auto start however, they are standard in my Canadian RDX.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, correct. With an iPhone, it will read you the incoming text verbally. Same with an Android, but you can also send a preselected response.
Some Androids maybe... I have a Nexus 6P, and it doesn't seem to work for incoming messages. I can browse out to the message from the phone menu on my TLX, manually select the one I want, and it will read it out loud for me, so I know that it's able to access my texts, but I get no notification when the message comes in (at least not from the car).

Maybe I have something set wrong, but I haven't been able to find it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I watched a Utube video of someone putting a remote starter in his RDX. Google it. You can get the Acura remote with the fobs for 289.00. It is a 420 job at the dealer, which with my temper is one broken peace of plastic. It did not look very hard. It is wired for it in the rear passenger light unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing the setting in Show Notifications to 'On' in the Handsfreelink Bluetooth connection did the trick.

As for the remote starter, call me cheap. I know aftermarket remote starters are only around $100 and I won't need new fobs that'll cost even more money. I'm trying to avoid the stealership as much as possible.

V

1 - 6 of 6 Posts