Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain how the paddle shifters work? When you use them to downshift for example, does that put the car into some sort of manual mode where it won't shift for you anymore? If so, how do you get out of this manual mode? I assume the car will never let you over rev and will upshift for you if necessary. Likewise, I'm sure if you come to a stop in 4th gear, it'll automatically go back to first. But how does the system transition?

·
Registered
438 Posts
ya i wanna know too. during my test drive, i accidentally pressed one of the paddle shifters and will like to know if there is a way to reset it or to disable to altogether

·
Registered
423 Posts
From what I have experienced if you have it in Sports+ mode and then use the shifters it will stay in manual mode.
You need to then change out of that IDS setting to go back to auto.
If you are in the normal and use the shifters it lets me change gears but after 10-20 seconds of inactivity on the shifters it then reverts back to auto.
With the Sports+ it basically redlines once you start using the paddles on every gear, still unsure of what it does in Sports+ if you don't start using the paddles as seems to stay in auto but I always chicken out and change gear so may need to do more testing.

I have to admit for me they are more of a gimic and have had them on a few cars and never used them. I am used to standard transmissions and it doesn't even come remotely close so i just leave it alone mostly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Amnesia's comment is better than anything I can find on Youtube explanation videos. Mostly junk from manual shift enthusiasts trying to debunk paddle shifters as manual transmission shifters. I never drive in Sport+ so I can't comment on this use.

I really like them in Econ and Normal mode since one can raise the rpm when going up slight rises in the roadway to increase wheel torque at higher rpm at the same gas pedal setting. Cruise control does this for you to maintain speed but I don't have the advance package which corrects the rpm problem in traffic. The - side is the only one I really use since it automatically upshifts to a higher gear when the wheel torque requirement decreases. In other words, I seem to notice higher estimated mpg when using the paddle shifter rather than depressing the gas pedal to add power.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Very interesting, I thought paddle shifters could be used only in Sport+ mode....will test on the way home from work :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
OK, played with the PDs on the way home and this is truly awesome. Merging with hgwy traffic and coming from a short and tight ramp I could quickly downshift while in Normal and let the car get on to the line effortlessly but with full control. The only thing is that you need to continue up-shifting to the desired gear manually (unless you want to red line it) and then just leave it so it will switch to back to auto

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just want to bring up a question that I'm having trouble finding the answer to. Does the car upshifts automatically when redlining on Sport+ manual?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just want to bring up a question that I'm having trouble finding the answer to. Does the car upshifts automatically when redlining on Sport+ manual?
No, no automatic up shifting in sport+ however it does shift down automatically when you slow down and come to a stop. One thing I noticed is it does upshift from 1 to 2 and stays there while moving from a stop.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes it will shift on its own... and if you started to use paddle shifters pressing the D will resume auto shifting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts