Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please post your feedback and experiences at your acura dealer in the TORONTO/GTA AREA, whether it is just window shopping, taking a test drive, purchasing a car, or post-purchase servicing.

positive & negative feedback are both welcome, but some very general guidelines:

- if it's a positive feedback, name the dealership and if possible, the person involved; to give them recognition for their service
- if it's a negative feedback, name the dealership only and avoid directly naming specific persons (just refer to them as "salesperson, sales manager" etc).
- be sure to explain your experiences as well or note any issues that are worth sharing with other members, good or bad

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
acura of north toronto

- sales manager did not respond to email inquiries from me

- took a friend to test drive a ILX, saleslady did not seem to care or appear interested in our business and made us go through the shortest and most pointless test drive ever:

south on yonge
west on steeles
north on hilda (where toysrus is, just past the subaru/MB/volvo dealerships)
east on crestwood
and then south on yonge which brought us back to the dealership

the whole test drive lasted for only 5 minutes and we didn't drive any faster than 50km/h given we are in a residential area and yonge/steeles was quite congested at the time. seriously, google map the area and see how ridiculous the test drive was, you can literally take a stroll on foot for the short distance we drove. needless to say we RAN away afterwards to another dealer which gave us a much longer test drive

- on the flip side, they have a few TLX with the launch kit/aero kit installed so if you want to see what it looks like in person you may want to go there, but for other matters you may want to consider elsewhere

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I made it sticky for you buddy so it will stay at the top. By the way, I'm going to do the same but for a Montreal area dealer discussion.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Erin mills acura, mississauga. Bought my TL-s in 2008. Very happy with service and sales. TLX test drive 2 weeks ago, my choice of route, no pressure from knowledgable sales rep. So I will likely be a repeat customer. Ask for Lorrie P.

·
Registered
130 Posts
r.johnson, great idea for a thread. So what about the review for the dealership you got yours at?

My experience was only window shopping and I've only been to Markham Acura or Acura in Markham, whatever they call it now. I thought my experience was ok. They greeted me nicely and when I said I was just looking, they left me alone. I sat in multiple TLXs and popped the hoods and trunks. I also had my 5 year old with me and he was all over the place but nobody gave me a hard time. One lady actually gave him a balloon and a hot chocolate. When I finally decide to do a test drive though, I might not go back to this one simply because there aren't any highways nearby and I definitely want to take it on a highway. The 407 is close by but I don't know if they'd have a transponder for it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
r.johnson, great idea for a thread. So what about the review for the dealership you got yours at?

My experience was only window shopping and I've only been to Markham Acura or Acura in Markham, whatever they call it now. I thought my experience was ok. They greeted me nicely and when I said I was just looking, they left me alone. I sat in multiple TLXs and popped the hoods and trunks. I also had my 5 year old with me and he was all over the place but nobody gave me a hard time. One lady actually gave him a balloon and a hot chocolate. When I finally decide to do a test drive though, I might not go back to this one simply because there aren't any highways nearby and I definitely want to take it on a highway. The 407 is close by but I don't know if they'd have a transponder for it.
dont worry, my TLX dealer review will come soon enough, i am in the process of helping a friend get an acura at another dealership soon. so i wanna wait for that to be dealt with and then compare both experiences

but to answer your question, i did my first TLX test drive at this location (markham acura), and i can confirm that YES u can drive the 407 because i did so myself, but just need to confirm with the salesperson first. i drove down mccowan and then west on 407, out on woodbine and head back to the dealership via highway7

my experience with this dealership is pretty good, and similar to what you have experienced too (i didnt have the hot chocolate though lol). the saleslady who took me to the test drive seems to be new to the dealership and wasn't really up to speed with TLX's features. no biggie since i knew all the info already before stepping into the dealership. test drive was good, she was with me in the car but she did not direct me where to go

as for why i did not pick this location to purchase my TLX? that will come later, but the main reason was because the SH-AWD model wasnt out yet at that time and i just want to get a feel on how comfortable the ride is itself while driving, and markham acura is the closest dealership from my home. i test drove a V6 FWD at that time

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, they let you go all the way Woodbine. That's good to know.
ask for carla (chinese lady), she's the one who took me on the test drive. but do make sure to ask beforehand if u can drive on the 407. she's very nice and did not spam me via the phone after the test drive (unlike some other dealerships and salespeople do). i wouldn't drive to woodbine though because traffic is pretty bad there on hwy7 near home depot; i would exit on warden instead

·
Registered
42 Posts
May be too far for GTA strictly speaking, but Acura Of Barrie has been awesome. Dealt with Trevor(owner), Nathan (sales manager) and Trevor(sales guy). Very helpful.
Trevor has spent hours and hours figuring out the electronics.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the feedback, i think barrie is close enough to the GTA to be part of the region. there are people who (if they can) will drive over an hour to score a deal on cars, especially if you do not have to necessarily do servicing at the same dealership you got the car from (unless of course, you work out some sort of free scheduled maintenance as part of the deal with the dealership)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, here goes: feedback for the dealership i got my TLX from....

maple acura (located in vaughan, next to vaughan mills mall and canada's wonderland)

i live in markham, but it's still quite a bit of drive/distance from the dealer. but as supposed to going to the nearest dealer to get the TLX, i decided (as an experiment) to give all the GTA acura dealers a chance to have my money and business by going through an email bidding/negotiating process to see which dealer puts their best foot foward and gives me their best price. i took a test drive beforehand at markham acura (as mentioned above) to make sure i feel comfortable with the car first before i spammed all the sales managers in the GTA

i will not go through the specifics of the bidding/negotiating process. some taunted, some acted like a biotch, but in the end Alan Kuo, the sales manager of maple acura, really stood out among all the other acura sales managers and put the best foot forward. email responses are professional, prompt and precise. momentum is great, no BS, all questions answered, no dealer addon baits. even though this is an email negotiation where i can just disappear any time, he followed his word to the very end.

when we agreed on a price and i went to sign the papers and give my deposit, the purchase agreement was exactly as discussed, no surprises or booby traps. i was asked for rustproofing and extended warranty, i politely declined and they did not push me further. sales manager even offered me a test drive on the newly arrived SH-AWD before signing the papers even though i did not ask for one

wait time for the SH-AWD was 3 weeks or so, and i emailed them with questions during the wait and they were answered promptly as well.

i took my friend to the dealership for a ILX test drive (after the horrible one i mentioned above at north toronto), he just gave me the keys and we test drove by ourselves for a whole hour, and didn't call me and ask us where the heck i was. obviously that's because he knows me already as a legit customer, but it's still a nice touch and very kind gesture. didn't even ask for my friend's driver license or phone info

delivery was on a saturday morning and i spent an hour there. again, no surprises or booby traps. the delivery process was done by salesperson Yvonne Yu, and at no time i never felt rushed. i had a crap load of questions for her and she was able to answer all of them and she was very helpful.

it really doesn't look like it but admittedly, this is my very first "on-my-own" car purchase process, and honestly i didnt know what i may be getting myself into. this especially holds true for a brand new car that just came out like the TLX, or for the case of SH-AWD, not even released yet at the time of negotiation. So i kind of expected, as a worst case scenario, dealers to tell me to feck off and pay full MSRP. but surprisingly, overall it was an extremely pleasant experience with maple acura's professional service and ethics, and got a pretty good price on the car too. i would not hesitate in recommending maple acura to those looking for a TLX or any acura. just look for salesperson Yvonne Yu or sales manager Alan Kuo and tell them Andy sent/recommended you there (no, i do not get any referral rewards).

test drive-wise, they have the 400 nearby so it's a good dealer to go to if you want to test highway driving. but avoid driving on rutherford by vaughan mills area because it gets jammed traffic-wise all the time with the mall shoppers and highway goers. go up north on jane instead for a more smoother driving experience

Reactions: Rocks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here's another review

acura sherway (in etobicoke, toronto, near sherway gardens shopping mall)

my experience with the dealer is only on the delivery process

i did not buy anything there. but as mentioned in previous posts, i have a friend who is interested in getting an ILX. i offered to help her find a good deal but suddenly she went by herself and signed the papers herself without warning. which is fine with me; she is free to do whatever she wants since she is the one paying for it. therefore i cannot comment on the negotiation process, but i facepalmed when i saw all these overpriced extras on the ILX. not necessarily the dealer's fault since my friend should have done her homework before walking into the dealership. after telling her about the overpriced items, she asked me to come with her during delivery to make sure everything is okay. afterall, she signed the papers and there is no cool-off period here so the only thing i can do now is to make the best of things going forward

but the kicker comes afterwards. she paid for tint and rustproofing (both overpriced) which took a while to get done and she needed to get her insurance ready first so no delivery date was set. when everything is ready on both sides after a few days, we asked the dealer if we can come saturday to pick up the car since i work till 8pm on weekdays. this is when they tell us that they have a company no-saturday-delivery policy because the dealership wants the salesperson to be at the showrooms making new sales as supposed to doing delivery stuff for legit customers who actually paid. in the end i had to leave early for work and make up the time somehow.

so we arrived at the dealership at around 730pm, to give enough time for delivery before they close at 9pm. their building is currently under renovation, and the dealer operates in a temporarily huge tent. the paper signing stuff went fine but we did have to wait for 15 mins to see our ILX. because they operate in a tent, all the delivery stuff is done outside in a parking lot. by 8pm its totally dark and i had a hard time inspecting the car for my friend in the dark. the "learning about the new car" process was really brief even for a basic car like ILX, and i personally had to teach her myself after the salesperson left.

before the salesperson walked away, he asked my friend to give him a perfect score in the customer satisfaction survey. he said if she gives him a perfect score he will give her a free car wash. smells like bribery to me lolz

overall, i find it hard to recommend this dealership to others. it seems to me personally that if given the chance they will rape unsuspecting customers with loads of extra add-ons (it ended up to be around 1500-2000 extra on a ILX, and then another 1100 for extended warranty). adding to that their un-accomodating no-saturday-delivery policy and begging (or even perhaps bribing) for perfect feedback seems to show (to me personally at least) that all they care is getting sales and once you sign the paper they suddenly treat you like a second-class citizen. i would hesitate in recommending other prospective acura buyers to this dealership, at least not until their renovations are complete so at least you can inspect the car inside with lights on if you choose to pick up the car at night after work. i personally would just go to other more accommodating dealer instead, but otherwise avoid this place until the renovations are done

on a side note, they have a silver TLX with aero kit installed so this is another place to see it in person if you want

·
Registered
317 Posts
No delivery on Saturday model is pretty common, not only for Acura dealers and the explanation they gave you makes business sense. I also had to come in during a week day to pick up my TLX so did my friend who bought a Honda recently.
Another thing is to never accept delivery of your car when it is dark. I did a detail walkthrough and found a paint chip on the passenger door. If it was dark, I would have missed it and the dealer didn't show any desire to disclose this "minor imperfection" voluntarily.
We need to remember that dealers run for profit businesses and want to make money. Accessoriess and "extras" are elevated big time price-wise because they want to have room for potential negotiations and still make a buck or two. If one accepts the asking price, then that's the win for the dealer. Sales folks are not there for you, although they will tell you a different story.
Btw, I also visited this particular dealership some time ago and was not comfortable with the overall experience. Once I told them I was just there to have a look at the new TLX line and was not planning to buy one on the spot, they lost interest but still let me test drive the car. Told them it took me 2 years to make a decision to spend 2K on a brand new TV so "I ain't gonna sign on a dotted line today" for this 40 K+ car :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
funny though, when my dealer told me my TLX is ready thursday, i asked them can i come saturday morning instead, they had no objections. and i did my TLX delivery saturday. so i guess that makes them a plus over other dealers

i have a very busy and demanding job that i cannot sneak out of during weekday daytime. i am the weekend type of person

ya never accept delivery in the dark. i thought it will be indoors with interior lighting bright enough for me to look at the car, but nope, everything's done in the parking lot with insufficient lighting because they are having a renovation and i didnt know that until i arrived with my friend. the car was okay though; but i had to use my phone and turn on the LED flashlight and inspect the car that way.

so ya, avoid this dealership unless you can take delivery during daytime on a weekday....or at least wait until the renovations are done

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I picked up my TLX today from Markham Acura. It is my third vehicle purchased from this dealership. As usual, it was a very good overall experience. I have always dealt with the same salesman because he is very knowledgeable and I have always felt good about the deal he gives me. I have talked to people at other dealerships in the GTA but always come back to Markham Acura when it comes time to buy. If anyone is looking for a good dealership in the GTA, I would suggest this one. My salesman, Daniel Sun, has always been very good to me and I will definitely go back to him for my next one. He has never tried to sell me anything that I don't want, although in this case he couldn't because I got the SH-AWD Elite. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a no nonsense, straightforward and knowledgeable sales person in the GTA, give Daniel at Markham Acura a visit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a good experience at Acura Sherway. The staff was overall very polite and friendly. The renovations are moving along, so I would expect they will be in the new showroom by January. The test drive was about 20-30 minutes. We got to go on the 427, drive in some city traffic and try out parking the car. I didn't find them overly pushy with the add-ons. They basically showed me what they have, and when I said no they didn't push it. The only thing I got done was tint, which wasn't too outrageously priced. I would much rather just have the tint done when I pick the car up anyway than have to leave my new car at a shop after I pick it up. After I signed the papers, the general manager came over, and personally shook my hand and thanked me for my business, which I thought was very nice. In some other dealerships, the "manager" is totally removed from the transaction, and is never to be seen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was at Sherway Gardens last night and saw 3 TLXs in the parking lot. Was surprised since I rarely see them on the road.

Two thoughts:
- with the news of TLX having strong sales recently, now I know where they all are - in the mall parking lot!

- then I left the mall and saw the Acura Sherway dealership.....coincidence?

·
Registered
979 Posts
here's how mine went.

i wanted the car for X amount. i was having problems with my 2010 TSX that i had purchased from North Toronto a year before. one day while waiting to pick my car up, i wondered into the showroom and was looking at the TLX. i asked to go for a test drive of the I4. went for a test drive, liked the car. i was dealing with a young salesman guy, perhaps since it was the morning and i had worked the night before he didn't take me seriously since i was in jogging pants and wearing a hat lol.

i sat down to run numbers, i had worked numbers myself online so i knew how much i wanted to pay. this is where they pissed me off. Having told them the situation with the TSX, they were not willing to work with me at all. they flat out refused to give me a price on the car, and if i wanted to get a price on the car, i would have to give them my credit card right then and there for a deposit. why the **** would i hand over my credit card for a car that i don't even know how much it costed? i ended up telling the guy that he fully lost a sale, got my TSX and left.

I went into Acura Maple, located down the street from my house. very nice salesman there, guy with a british accent i can't remember his name. he was at my price point, the only problem was that i knew exactly how i wanted the car optioned, and they didn't have any. Maple was giving some pretty good deals, a white on black base model for under budget, and a black on brown FWD v6 tech for the same price as the I4 tech. i kept that as a back up plan but no pressure to buy since he knew that wasn't the exact car i was looking for. he said he will keep in touch if he can find me the white/black I4 tech that i was looking for. good experience.

i decided to make calls now. life is busy and since i work evenings i can't visit these dealerships during the week, and weekends are busy enough as it is. i decided to call North toronto again, and speak to a more mature salesperson. they said they would not deal over the phone (even tho i told them i go in there all the time). no matter what i said they wouldn't deal over the phone. too bad, whoever said they could get the car and do it for my price i was going to drive right over.

called acura2000, won't talk over the phone.

called maple acura again, they couldn't say when they could get the car. fair enough.

called up barrie acura, was more than willing to negotiate over the phone, told them what i wanted, they said they can do my price, gave me a estimate on my trade in; drove up and put a deposit on it. got them to throw in the weathertech mats and a oil change but they wouldn't budge on the rear decklid spoiler, can't win them all. i was dealing with another new guy there for the begining part of it but then nathan stepped in and was very helpful. what worried me was that they didn't have the car on the lot, but assured me they can get one. after about two weeks of hearing nothing about the car i just bought i called them, then they started to ask what other colors etc i would want; something i did not want to happen. two days later they found a car exactly what i wanted. only downside to barrie was that a few months ago my brother and I went in there, he was ready to buy a new MDX, but the guy who helped me (the new guy not nathan) was no longer there; instead another new guy was being a big prick and my brother said screw it and bought a infinity QX60 instead.

a few months before the purchase of the TLX, i was looking at a bmw 320I w/sport package. If my method of playing all of the dealerships in the GTA didn't work, i was just going to go on unhaggle.com and find a salesperson who would sell me the TLX for my price, it worked well when i was shopping for the BMW.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts