Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now of course I could of selected any one of the perennial contenders like the ever present Lexus IS, or the uppity MKZ, perhaps I could of even reached and went German, but no the Q50 is the one. Here's why. The new Q50 has been borderline crucified in the auto rags and even by consumers for actually stepping backwards from the delightful G series. Where as the TLX is looking to step away from the piss poor reputation of the TL and TSX (current iterations, originals notwithstanding).

Consider that 95% of Q50 reviews have made it explicitly clear that the Q50 is a huge step backward in terms of the soul and enjoyment that was typical of the G series. So my figuring has to be that if the TLX shows even a modicum of spirit and the parrots pick it up, well Acura may well have a winner on their hands despite the howls of enthusiasts (no MT, odd DCT configurations, AWD with slushbox only...)

Regarding technology, while I get that wizard gizmos are a big selling feature these days, I think Acura is going to benefit from being not so cutting edge focused. If you spend a minute or two over on the Q50 forum you will see a gamut of issues from DAS lockups, an infotainment system that's stable as a ship lost at sea and a host of niggles that are really turning off consumers, owners included. If Acura can provide a competent car that is submissive to the driver (unlike the Infiniti which is clearly contemptuous to those of us with feet) I think it will shine head to head. As much as WE seem to discern our purchases with fine toothed combs, lets be honest the vast majority of consumers begin and end with CR, Edmunds or whatever old faithful rag the remain loyal to.

By the Numbers:

Engines

TLX

2.4L I4 206 HP/182 lb-ft

or

3.5L V6 290 HP/267 lb-ft

Q50

3.7L V6 328 HP/269 lb-ft

or

3.5L V6 Hybrid 369 HP (net)/ 258 lb-ft (engine) and 214 lb-ft (electric)

Unfortunately etched in stone details are sparse for the TLX, so doing a full on dimensions comparison is out of the question at this point. But I will leave you with this. The TLX will be keeping the same wheelbase as the outgoing TL, so don't expect interior space to suffer, but the TLX is 3.8 inches shorter and 145 kg lighter than the outgoing TL...

By the Visuals:

Personally I think the TLX takes it from the Q50 in the looks department, I feel like Infiniti went too hard towards the old man luxo barge with the Q50, and the styling is reminiscent of a Hyundai Sonata that has impregnated a Mazda 6.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I haven't heard quite so one sided reviews about the Q50. From the ones that I've read it seems that most people are just divided over the steer by wire system. Some think it is a step forward and others think that it is a step backward. I guess the test for Acura will be whether or not people have a universal love of the new tech in the car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think both look great, it just depends on what type of design you like. Some people prefer smoother lines, other rather have squared, sharper, and aggressive design lines

·
Registered
251 Posts
Of course its a matter of taste, but I think that if you poll a lot of people that generally people would prefer the design of the Q50 over the TLX. I don't think the strength of the TLX is the way it looks. Though the headlights are a saving grace.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That is true, I have noticed a good amount of disappointment with the TLX production model in the comments section of some publications.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course its a matter of taste, but I think that if you poll a lot of people that generally people would prefer the design of the Q50 over the TLX. I don't think the strength of the TLX is the way it looks. Though the headlights are a saving grace.
I'm not sure if your saying poll alot of people and you'll find opinions geared towards the Q50

or if you're saying poll fans of the Q50 and find if they like the Q50 more. Thats a healthy dose of political sampling right there my friend ;)

I will say this, the Q50s design is going to age much worse than the TLX. Q50 is styled on trends, flowing sculpted curves that QUICKLY become dated, where as the TLX has very classic proportions and a simple belt line.

remember, complexity breaks. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait until everyone can see the TLX in the flesh and we will have a better idea what the general public will prefer.

But I too believe sharper lines, clean, not top busy design generally age better. And usually Acura follows this principle. Too many curves and busy details and the design become tiresome with time. I just don't feel the front of the Q50 at all. The odd shaped grill is weird. The front of the TLX screams speed, like a jet fighter. When you see it i your rearview mirror, it will look awesome. And the passenger doors in profile view: Simple sharp lines for the TLX like cut out with a sword; the Q50's has this serpentine curve. I don't get it. Also in profile view, that rear end of the Q50 has a big hump of a bumper - looks terrible. Those reflectors on the rear bumper look out of place too.

The only thing the Q50 has better over the TLX in terms of appearance is the lower stance (based on the pictures).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not so sure that the Q50 design will age gracefully. I think it looks pretty good now, but I think that design is going in a different direction generally in the industry. I see more hard edges instead of the curves that are on the Q50. I think that it will seem pretty dated come 5-7 years from now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Legend and Vigor are still some of the best Acura designs EVER. Even if you compare similar model year Integra with Civic, the civic always the rounder one ages worse than the sharper teg...

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Integra's designs have very little to do with the Q50's. The Integras have sharp lines and regular shapes all over them. The Q50 on the other hand has odd shapes and curves.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
theres no blanket statements that can be made. You cant say sharp lines last longer, or cuvy Q50s are timeless because there are no sharp lines. Its about balance. Great design means that theres nothing left to take away, simplified to the lowest common denominator. Thats elegance. I feel the TLX carries more of that simplified elegance than the Q50, which is clearly trying to come across as sophisticated and progressive but ends up being campy...

·
Registered
87 Posts
theres no blanket statements that can be made. You cant say sharp lines last longer, or cuvy Q50s are timeless because there are no sharp lines. Its about balance. Great design means that theres nothing left to take away, simplified to the lowest common denominator. Thats elegance. I feel the TLX carries more of that simplified elegance than the Q50, which is clearly trying to come across as sophisticated and progressive but ends up being campy...
Right. Curves can be timeless (Porche), sharp lines can be fugly (Aztek). It's about the balance and harmony between proportions, lines (the number, the "sharpness"), shapes, etc. Lowest common denominator: yes, the elements must be simple and regular in general. Simple lines/curves, not serpentine, regular shapes (circle, oval, rectangle, pentagone), not odd shapes like an oval with concave ends.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.