Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Here is some history around the issue and what the dealership feedback was.

April 2019 Mileage: ~ 28,000
The below represents leak that has been accumulating for some time since that specific place was never cleaned up.

Car was inspected by dealership and feedback was: could not determine where the leak comes from. We put dye in engine oil. Come back for rechecking. Lastly, leak was physically cleaned up from the tranny/engine surface.

July 2019
Situation looked as per below:

Car was inspected by dealership and feedback was: this is a tiny leak and we still cannot identify where is this coming from. Drive more and come back again.
At that same time, I opened case with Honda so this can be investigated, diagnosed and fixed. Unfortunately, the feedback was the same: this leak is not big and we have it documented. No repairs will be performed at this point. Great attitude, isn't it?

Oct 2019
Situation looked as per below. Definitely more oil can be seen visible compared to previous time. This time when x-ray light is used, leak glows fluorescent green. This means this is not transmission fluid but engine oil.

Question is what to expect from the dealership/Honda now?

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
How do you define an oil leak? Oil flowing out? Oil dripping out? Oil at a seam without leaking? A slightly damp gasket but not leaking oil? Acura has specific warranty repair procedures for each type of oil leak, or almost oil leak. If they cannot readily determine the leak, they will clean the area and add dye which is what they already did.

From what I could see, you have documented your case very well. Should the oil issue get any worse, you can obviously return to Acura with your documentation in hand to get them to repair it.

From what I could see, you “might” have a leaking rear main seal (not real common for our cars). Most all oil leaks tend to get worse (not better) with time. I would suggest that you keep a close eye on your oil level and also keep a clean piece of cardboard under your car at night to keep an eye out for leaks. If the oil level changes or you start noticing more oil on the cardboard, I would return to Acura. Also be very careful about NOT adding any oil additives and keep good records of all your oil changes especially if not done at the Acura dealership.

Acura is not being mean to you with their procedures, they are really just following the factory (flow chart) procedures for this type of problem. If Acura did not follow the factory procedure as set out by the factory and just took your engine apart and replaced what they believed to be the problem gasket, the factory would not pay the dealership for the repairs. The Acura dealership MUST always follow the factory procedures otherwise they will not get paid for diagnostic time, repair time labor and parts. These diagnostic and repair procedures are the same with General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and most every other vehicle manufacturer.

You are doing the right thing. Keep us all posted on future developments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do you define an oil leak? Oil flowing out? Oil dripping out? Oil at a seam without leaking? A slightly damp gasket but not leaking oil? Acura has specific warranty repair procedures for each type of oil leak, or almost oil leak. If they cannot readily determine the leak, they will clean the area and add dye which is what they already did.

From what I could see, you have documented your case very well. Should the oil issue get any worse, you can obviously return to Acura with your documentation in hand to get them to repair it.

From what I could see, you “might” have a leaking rear main seal (not real common for our cars). Most all oil leaks tend to get worse (not better) with time. I would suggest that you keep a close eye on your oil level and also keep a clean piece of cardboard under your car at night to keep an eye out for leaks. If the oil level changes or you start noticing more oil on the cardboard, I would return to Acura. Also be very careful about NOT adding any oil additives and keep good records of all your oil changes especially if not done at the Acura dealership.

Acura is not being mean to you with their procedures, they are really just following the factory (flow chart) procedures for this type of problem. If Acura did not follow the factory procedure as set out by the factory and just took your engine apart and replaced what they believed to be the problem gasket, the factory would not pay the dealership for the repairs. The Acura dealership MUST always follow the factory procedures otherwise they will not get paid for diagnostic time, repair time labor and parts. These diagnostic and repair procedures are the same with General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and most every other vehicle manufacturer.

You are doing the right thing. Keep us all posted on future developments.
Thanks @Crashmaster.
I understand they need to follow procedures, but when they advertise they provide warranty with every new vehicle, they better honor that and repair whatever needs to be repaired. No matter how you define an oil leak, oil is not supposed to be seeping/dripping/leaking at all especially on a higher class Honda which you pay premium for.

So finally they came back with some findings. They say oil seems to be seeping from right side of oil pan and will replace oil pan gasket (pending authorization at the moment).

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Very glad they came through for you. Keep us posted on how the repair goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil pan gasket replaced. So now need to keep close look for any oil. Will report again in several weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as per Acura it is not the main seal. But hey we will know soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi OP - I'm having a similar issue on my 2016 Acura TLX ~45,000 miles. When I had my oil changed a couple weeks ago, the mechanic mentioned that he saw some oil at the transmission seam. He pointed it out to me and it looked exactly like in your photo with brownish oil stain. I brought it to a nearby A+ transmission and they determined that the cause was definitely the rear main seal. They quoted me over $1k+ to replace due to labor. According to them they have to take off the transmission to be able to get to the rear main seal, so basically pretty labor intensive. Now I'm wondering if it's best to just bring it to the Acura dealership since it looks like it's covered under the powertrain warranty (6yr/70,000mi). Was yours covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi OP - I'm having a similar issue on my 2016 Acura TLX ~45,000 miles. When I had my oil changed a couple weeks ago, the mechanic mentioned that he saw some oil at the transmission seam. He pointed it out to me and it looked exactly like in your photo with brownish oil stain. I brought it to a nearby A+ transmission and they determined that the cause was definitely the rear main seal. They quoted me over $1k+ to replace due to labor. According to them they have to take off the transmission to be able to get to the rear main seal, so basically pretty labor intensive. Now I'm wondering if it's best to just bring it to the Acura dealership since it looks like it's covered under the powertrain warranty (6yr/70,000mi). Was yours covered by the warranty?
Yes it was repair done under warranty.

Now you need to be careful what they tell you as the underlying reason of the leak. Better to understand what they based the decision on, as the usual way to troubleshoot is to put some dye into engine oil and only then you can figure the exact source i.e. whether it is engine oil or transimission fluid.

Not sure why you did not go to the dealership as it may be covered. If not, at least they should be able to troubleshoot the source.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it was repair done under warranty.

Now you need to be careful what they tell you as the underlying reason of the leak. Better to understand what they based the decision on, as the usual way to troubleshoot is to put some dye into engine oil and only then you can figure the exact source i.e. whether it is engine oil or transimission fluid.

Not sure why you did not go to the dealership as it may be covered. If not, at least they should be able to troubleshoot the source.
Is the TLX 4 or 6cyl?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the TLX 4 or 6cyl?
Good morning- thanks for responding so quickly! It is a 4 cyl.
I went to the A+ transmission because a friend mechanic recommended it. I didn't realize it was covered under the powertrain warranty (should have checked first). I also have been avoiding the dealership near me like a plague because the first time I went there they were gonna ridiculously charge me $200 just for an oil change.
Anyway, I'll check in with them now since it may be covered under warranty.

Did they successfully fix your issue though?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good morning- thanks for responding so quickly! It is a 4 cyl.
I went to the A+ transmission because a friend mechanic recommended it. I didn't realize it was covered under the powertrain warranty (should have checked first). I also have been avoiding the dealership near me like a plague because the first time I went there they were gonna ridiculously charge me $200 just for an oil change.
Anyway, I'll check in with them now since it may be covered under warranty.

Did they successfully fix your issue though?
Yes, as I stated above they replaced the oil pan gasket and it is all good and dry now. So by what you are describing, your issue may turn out to be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, as I stated above they replaced the oil pan gasket and it is all good and dry now. So by what you are describing, your issue may turn out to be the same.
Awesome, glad it worked out for you! I will do the same. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts