Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX 2.4L Tech pkg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my 2018 TLX they told me that Acura recommends oil changes at 7000 miles. I'm pretty close to that now but my oil life is still at 40%. Which is best to go by?

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX V6 Tech Package
125 Posts
When I got my 2018 TLX they told me that Acura recommends oil changes at 7000 miles. I'm pretty close to that now but my oil life is still at 40%. Which is best to go by?
I get mines changed at about 15% life left I know thats what my service advisor told me. Currently at 60% life left so i will be getting a change probably at the end of July or so

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
I think it depends on a few issues:
1) What type of oil are you using? Full synthetic or semi synthetic?
2) Are you in an extreme temperature zone like Phoenix or Death Valley which sees over 100 degrees regularly
3) Do you tow or load the car up with extra weight?
4) Are you an aggressive driver with lots of 'jack rabbit' starts.

·
Registered
2018 Acura TLX 2.4L Tech pkg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will be my first oil change since owning car. Not sure what type oil dealer changed last. I personally would go full synthetic. No heavy load or aggressive driving. Pretty much commuting back and forth to work. I do live in the South so fairly hot in summer. 100deg is rare but not unheard of. I just don't want to do anything to adversely affect warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My old 2007 accord had the 2.4 and I just changed it when the light came on (mostly at 15% but maybe once or twice at 5%). I almost always used synthetic ( major brand whatever was on sale) and never had any engine issues from new to 162,000 miles (11 years). I didn’t always pay attention to miles but I think the change intervals were probably somewhere in the 6000-8000 mile range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dealer recommends 15% and I think at least once per year if you don’t drive that much. I went below 15 and all was fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If Acura says to change your oil , then change it every 7000 miles. Forget what the car says. As stated by some others , it really changes thing depending on type of oil , climate , towing ,etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in St. Louis where the temp. in the Summer is well into the 90's and sometimes hits over 100. I change my full synthetic oil between 6K - 7K miles, the Main. Minder is usually around 30% - 40%.The Dealer recommends changing every 5K miles.
The previous 2 owners changed their oil around 8K miles and they were both in Colorado Springs. Right now my V6 has 92K miles and does use any oil whatsoever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I change my full synthetic oil between 6K - 7K miles, the Main. Minder is usually around 30% - 40%.
Wow, so basically it probably would go 9 - 10K before hitting 0%? My wife's 2021 has 500 miles on it, and it's already showing 90% (which puts it on target for an oil change at 5K). We've been babying it, but it did come with 70 miles on the odometer and those were no doubt dealer test drives, so who knows.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I had my 98 BMW M3, BMW recommended 15K Miles oil changes with Castrol, I went with 8K Miles. I believe they still recommend extended changes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
German cars use European formula engine oil, it is basically long life oil. Look for the BNW spec on the oil.
For instance Porsche spec is A40. In order to meet the A40 spec the oil has to have long life along with other properties. Hence the reason they state 15k mikes For changes. Mobil 1 has an extended mileage oil that should answer any concerns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts