Acura TLX Forum banner

Official TLX Tint Level Thread

210K views 234 replies 88 participants last post by  troy.scott6872 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, for the benefit of everyone on this forum, and for those who are looking to join, I'm creating an Official thread on window tint, that everyone will be able to use when they decide to tint their TLX.

Please post pictures of your current car or new TLX, along with the tint % for your front and rear windows. This should be interesting....

#2 ·
I think this is a great idea. I know the title says TLX tint but in order to give the members an idea of the different levels of tint would it be worth while to post the pictures of our current or past cars that we know what the percentage of tint is? Just a thought.

#6 ·
The Tint on my TLX

I decided to get 30% on the sides and 15% on the back window.

The standard request is for 15% on the back passenger windows and back window, with 30% on the front windows. My salesman got 15% all the way around, but he has to roll his windows down at night. :laugh:

I figured that having 30% on the sides looks more balanced. I also figured a lot of heat comes in the back window so 15% is my choice. I should park the back toward the sun.

In Florida, the legal percentage of tint for driver's and front passenger's windows is 30% and no less.

The tech did say he needed to use the 15% on the back window anyway because it was made of a material that didn't cause excessive static on AM radio. (AM radio, is that still around?)

It was sunny today, but I did manage to find some shade. Hopefully you can make sense of these photos. :cool:

30% on the sides

15% on the back window

With the current temperatures, it helps to have tinted windows. A cold front next week will bring temps down to 82F. Fall is here.

#8 ·
The standard request is for 15% on the back passenger windows and back window, with 30% on the front windows. My salesman got 15% all the way around, but he has to roll his windows down at night. :laugh:
LOL!!! Sounds like when I roll around the cops, I put my front windows down too.

Here in Quebec, its 70% allowed only in front, and anything in the rear, I'm super illegal, but unless I get caught, I'll do it anytime, way sexier and keeps the heat out!

#9 ·
I also live in Quebec so I know what you're saying. I just leave the shade open that covers the sunroof. It lets some light in that doesn't make the tint look as dark. Fingers crossed. They've left me alone for all the years that I've had tinted windows. It adds so much to the look of the car and helps with the heat as you said.

#10 · (Edited)
Summest, did they not tint the area behind your third brake light?

Here's mine with 35% in the front, 20% on the rear sides, and 5% in the back. Keep in mind that if you have a dark interior, it'll look darker.

Here's one in the shade.

I don't really have a good pic of the back but it's pretty dark from the outside, but fine on the inside. I don't have any problems seeing out the back, even at night.

#11 ·
Summest, did they not tint the area behind your third brake light?

Here's mine with 35% in the front, 20% on the rear sides, and 5% in the back. Keep in mind that if you have a dark interior, it'll look darker.

I don't really have a good pic of the back but it's pretty dark from the outside, but fine on the inside. I don't have any problems seeing out the back, even at night.
willy18, they tinted around the third brake light. It's difficult to see that in the photo.

Wow! 5% in the back. I didn't know they went that dark. I thought 15% was dark, but it is the back window. Wow 5% is so close to 0%. :)

#12 ·
Again, 5% sounds dark, and it is from the outside, especially with a dark interior, but I don't have any visibility issues when I'm driving. My auto dimming rear view mirror still works.

Summest, did you request that they tint around the third brake light or is not removable?

#13 ·
Third Brake Light Tint

Summest, did you request that they tint around the third brake light or is not removable?
After specifying my tint requests, I left everything else to tech's discretion. It hadn't crossed my mind at the time. The guy did 14 other TLXs before he did mine. I believe the back window tint was pre-cut to go around the third brake light.

During the day, I don't see any light shine through the area around the third brake light. Which is a good thing. I wonder how much 5% tint would block the light if you covered it? I will have to get in the back seat and look closer.

#14 ·
I have a general request.. when posting pics of your car with different tints shades. Could you please specify your interior color and tint brand used.

I plan on getting tints tomorrow, but I'm debating on tint % and brand right now. I'm leaning towards 20% all around on a BWP w/espresso.

I got a quote of $249 using llumar atr and $399 for ceramic tint @ www.tropictint.com
Prices seems steep, but the shop has a great rep.

#15 ·
Tinting

Wow! I paid $125. In Florida, our tint laws limit the front passenger windows to 28% and the back to 15%. Of course, that is if you want to stay legal. I just want to make sure I can see out my windows at night without having to roll them down. I got 30% for the front passengers and rear passengers. I got 15% on the back window.

I don't know what brand the tech used but he did specify that he had to use a certain type of film for the back window so it did not affect my AM reception. I said fine, whatever. Does anybody use AM Radio?
:)
I am very happy with his results.

#16 ·
now that i have my TLX, guess its time to think about getting the windows tinted, i was wondering if anybody got theirs tinted at the dealership before delivery, and if so, how much do they charge you?

i know its too late for me to get mine tinted at the dealership, but just wanna know the price comparisons

i may think about going to some of the best tint shops in the GTA: audio heaven in richmond hill or auto-links in scarborough. i got my lexus tinted in audio heaven and it's pretty good but its not cheap though: around $300 for premium tints, $330+ for auto-link's pinnacle ceramic tints

#18 ·
Car dealer vendor worked for me

I took mine to the dealership when I got my spare tire kit installed. The tint guy did not work directly for Acura, but they let him use their space. He did a great job and said he did 15 TLXs before he did mine. I figured he knew what he was doing.

He offered a couple of different tints. He made sure I had the correct one on the back window in order not to affect the antenna. I got 15% on the back and 30% on the sides. He only charged $125. I wonder why he is so cheap? The tint looks great. No miscuts or bubbles. I am happy. The car is a lot cooler on sunny 90+F degree days. (See my pics earlier in this thread.)

Good luck!

#23 · (Edited)
So I finally decided to take the car in to get it tinted. I ended up getting Llumar CTX 15% charcoal all around. It was pricey $400 (cost of living in NJ) , but I'm really happy with the results.
My interior is espresso.

My phone camera isn't the greatest.

Attachments

#26 ·
The car I ordered was supposed to come in by the end of November and I was supposed to go pick it up today after work. I gave it a 50/50 chance that it would actually be ready so I already had in my mind that I would ask the dealer to throw in free window tinting for the inconvenience. Sure enough they emailed me two days ago to tell me that my car was not delivered to them and that I would not be able to pick it up today. I emailed them back and asked them to throw in the window tint and they approved :D

I just emailed them back thanking them and asking them if they by chance have the LLumar CTX 15% in Charcoal that you got. I always get 15% as it can get pretty hot here in the Oklahoma summers...especially with an ebony leather interior.

Did you (or anyone else really) get the full rear window tinted including where the 3rd brake light is? I couldn't really tell from the angle of the rear picture.

#30 · (Edited)
Well, the good news is that the dealer received my car last night and I will be picking it up tomorrow. They were able to get it tinted today but they said they weren't able to remove the 3rd brake light to tint behind it. On the bright side, along with tinting the windows for free they also threw in the Protection Package II for free...woot woot!

#43 ·
Type Of Tint??

Hoping to get some advise from the members. I am thinking of getting Tint on my TLX and contacted 3 of the reputable shops i could find on the internet in my Locality. Below are the quotes i received for diff types of Tints:

Shop 1:
Charcoal $229.99 – Gray Color Dyed Polyester Film, 5 Year Warranty
Galaxie $279.99 – Bold, Black Hybrid Extruded Color Sure Film, Lifetime Warranty
Ultra Performance $329.99 – Proprietary Nanotechnology High Heat Rejection Film, Lifetime Warranty

Shop 2:
Suntek is $155 installed + tax.
3M, color stable is $275
Heat rejecting Crystalline is $475.

Shop 3:
$499 -- Madico Window Tint. 1st place east coast tint championship installation (what ever that means :| ) .

This being a new 2015 car, All of them recommend the priciest option they have. I believe the Tint % can be customized on any of the option we choose.

My question to the forum, is the priciest the better?? I read through all the posts in this thread, but i didn't find any details about the diff types of tint available. Lot of posts about % of tint. Any advice will be helpful.

#44 ·
Hoping to get some advise from the members. I am thinking of getting Tint on my TLX and contacted 3 of the reputable shops i could find on the internet in my Locality. Below are the quotes i received for diff types of Tints:

Shop 1:
Charcoal $229.99 – Gray Color Dyed Polyester Film, 5 Year Warranty
Galaxie $279.99 – Bold, Black Hybrid Extruded Color Sure Film, Lifetime Warranty
Ultra Performance $329.99 – Proprietary Nanotechnology High Heat Rejection Film, Lifetime Warranty

Shop 2:
Suntek is $155 installed + tax.
3M, color stable is $275
Heat rejecting Crystalline is $475.

Shop 3:
$499 -- Madico Window Tint. 1st place east coast tint championship installation (what ever that means :| ) .

This being a new 2015 car, All of them recommend the priciest option they have. I believe the Tint % can be customized on any of the option we choose.

My question to the forum, is the priciest the better?? I read through all the posts in this thread, but i didn't find any details about the diff types of tint available. Lot of posts about % of tint. Any advice will be helpful.
Prices seem a bit high for me. Especially high for in the States.

I paid $125 for my tint. My salesman, after purchasing multiple Acuras from him, told me who tinted his car. He said the local Acura service shop lets a local tinter have space in their huge garage. Not sure what the arrangement is, but I paid him on his iPhone swiper. He showed me examples of his work. While my salesman recommended 15% all the way around, except for the front window, I didn't want to have to roll down my windows at night when it was 90F with 100% humidity. I got 35% on the sides and 15% on the back window.

I also liked the idea that this tinter tinted 19 other TLXs before he tinted mine. The cuts were pure precision. He said it was the first "wine-colored" TLX he tinted. :)

I forgot if he said I have a lifetime warranty or not. But for $125, I can come back, but hope not. Off all the cars I ever had tinted, I only had one car that had a lifetime warranty that I used after about 4 years. That was in late 80s. Ever since I have not had any issues with tint on my cars, but then I only keep a car for 3 to 4 years.

I am not a tint expert by any means. Maybe someone else can offer reasons why to pay so much.

I recently learned that you can tint the front windows. I could see that being worth the cost.

Whatever you decide get tint. :cool:

When I moved from Jacksonville, Florida to Laurel, Maryland, they made me take my tint off the car before they would give me a tag. Check local laws and determine if you want to follow them. :)

When I moved back to South Florida, I got my Florida tags back and re-tinted the windows. :D

#45 ·
Thx for the advice @Summest. I guess my confusion is between the basic one and the one listed as "high-heat protection". The main reason behind getting a Tint is to keep the car from overheating in the Sun. So wanted to know from the forum if the extra $ for the high-heat version is worth paying for?? Do they really make a difference when compared to the basic one.

#48 ·
I got mine for the heat protection as well. Summer heat in South Florida can be a scorcher. Tint also protects the vinyl and other materials from UV radiation which can cause fading and premature wear and tear.

I would be interested in learning about the price difference. My tint jobs were always about $125US, best I can remember.

Since I got the 15% on the back, I use that to take the majority of the Sun's force. I still try to find a tree and park in a garage at night and on weekends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.