Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
I don't know what Acura/Honda uses in their wiper blade rubber, but it does not play nice with Rain-X.

Today, I finally got around to Rain-X'ing the windows on my new TLX (been using it since the 90s). Driving home in a light mist, within a dozen or so wipes of the wiper blades, the driver side blade started chattering.

In my '17 Civic, the OEM Honda rubber did this weird thing where it scraped off the Rain-X in the middle of the driver side blade, leaving me with a spotty droplet-riddled band in the middle of my vision. I replaced them with Bosch Icons and they performed flawlessly for the next five years until I traded the car in. I also bought Icons for my wife's CR-V and they've been just as good.

Anyway... going to the auto parts store soon for another set of Icons. Annoyed and frustrated but not surprised.

· Registered
89 Posts
I don't know what Acura/Honda uses in their wiper blade rubber, but it does not play nice with Rain-X.

Today, I finally got around to Rain-X'ing the windows on my new TLX (been using it since the 90s). Driving home in a light mist, within a dozen or so wipes of the wiper blades, the driver side blade started chattering.

In my '17 Civic, the OEM Honda rubber did this weird thing where it scraped off the Rain-X in the middle of the driver side blade, leaving me with a spotty droplet-riddled band in the middle of my vision. I replaced them with Bosch Icons and they performed flawlessly for the next five years until I traded the car in. I also bought Icons for my wife's CR-V and they've been just as good.

Anyway... going to the auto parts store soon for another set of Icons. Annoyed and frustrated but not surprised.
The first problem is using Rain-X.

It doesn't last very long IMO and there are better options, I've had good results with Aquapel and it last for months. Never an issue with wiper blades running over it.

· Registered
82 Posts
The first problem is using Rain-X.

It doesn't last very long IMO and there are better options, I've had good results with Aquapel and it last for months. Never an issue with wiper blades running over it.
I can go look for it. Bought a pair of Icons last night and I haven’t opened them yet. I’m waiting for another good rain to be sure I’ll need them.

· Registered
2022 TLX Type-S Apex Blue Perl, Red Interior
22 Posts
The best wipers I've ever used on all of my cars are the PIAA Super Silicone wipers. The were designed with rally racing in mind, where the cars go through all kinds of elements. With them you won't need Rain-X, as each time they wipe, it is like they are re-applying Rain-X. Water beads up, with no fogging. While others are pulling over in torrential downpours, I can keep going, and can actually see.

That are pricy, but long lasting (years).

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey bro, so I have the same problem. I went to the dealership told me it was normal. Tried aftermarket ones doesn’t clean at all. You have to call Acura corporate to make this shit fixed. The chatter I assume goes both ways which is not normal. Factory messed it up and don’t wanna take responsibility.

· Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
371 Posts
Hey bro, so I have the same problem. I went to the dealership told me it was normal. Tried aftermarket ones doesn’t clean at all. You have to call Acura corporate to make this shit fixed. The chatter I assume goes both ways which is not normal. Factory messed it up and don’t wanna take responsibility.
I don't know that Acura has an obligation to get anything fixed. I'm nearly two years into owning my car and I don't have issues. Of course, all I do is wash my car with a ceramic car wash from Mother's and it works great, even at helping the windows stay pretty clear. You have to use it about once a month for it to work best on glass, but I don't have any issues. If Rain-X is causing you issues, that sounds like a Rain-X problem, not Acura.

· Registered
82 Posts
If Rain-X is causing you issues, that sounds like a Rain-X problem, not Acura.
My counterargument to this is, some wiper blades have trouble on Rain-X, and some work just fine. If this were an experiment, the constant is Rain-X, and the variable to change is the wiper.

Mine seems to have toned down since then (I got some Bosch Icons again but they're in the basement right now, still in their boxes) and the Rain-X still seems present on the windshield.

I also got some Turtle Wax ceramic-infused(?) glass cleaner and will try it sometime later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts