Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had a problem with P2847 Code?

OBD Code P2847 - Shift Fork "C" Position Sensor Incorrect Neutral Position Indicated.
This is a permanent code and can't be erased with my Actron OBD reader.

This started coming up after I had the transmission fluid replaced. Could it be something they may have caused?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just got back from the Dealer about the above problem. It got so bad that I would have to start and stop the engine multiple times to finally get to go,

It was easy to know when it was messed up because when I put it in gear, there was a big clunk and the car would lurch forward or backward depending which gear I was going into. Also when it was really messed up, I would get it started going like normal until I slowed down and the transmission would try to down shift. Instead it jumped into 5th gear and would not come out until I stopped the car and went through the whole stop and start routine again.

When I took it in, a P2845 code was also permanent. They put it on their little tester and it said this: "There are two electric motors used to shift the gears in the transmission, one for gears 1-3-5-7 and one for gears R-2-4-6-8. The gear shifting is made by two shift drums connected to shift motor pinion via two ideal gears. The maximum shift force is 1500N (337 lb). The motors are integrated in the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and work independently of each other." To fix it, they said that they had to; recalibrate the shift forks (A) & (C).

They charged 1 hour time @ $140.00. I sure hope that this is all it was. They think it happened when the new battery was installed. They said that you are supposed to have a jumper battery attached when changing to maintain the voltage and most places treat it just like the old ways, no power.

Got the car back washed and vacuumed out.

·
Super Moderator
832 Posts
Did you change the transmission fluid yourself or did some shop do it? Did you change the battery at the same time as the transmission fluid?

I've seen it done both ways. Remove the battery and install another or keep a battery charger or jumper box attached while you change the battery. I prefer to keep a jumper box attached while changing the battery. Much safer.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you change the transmission fluid yourself or did some shop do it? Did you change the battery at the same time as the transmission fluid?

I've seen it done both ways. Remove the battery and install another or keep a battery charger or jumper box attached while you change the battery. I prefer to keep a jumper box attached while changing the battery. Much safer.
Since the nearest Acura dealer is 98 miles away, I tend to have my regular maintenance performed at the much closer Honda dealer who did the transmission fluid change.

The battery was replaced at Wally World and that was the first thing the dealer implied as the fault. (Lesson leaned the hard way.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts