Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leased a new TLX 2.4 Tech a few weeks ago for the wife. Her last car was a 2012 Volvo S60. At 5'3 she's a bit short and can't get the seat in the Acura to raise high enough. Service shop[ was no help on raising the seat. Anyone else have an issue w/driver's seat?

This is the first car I've got in the last 20 years that I have so many issues with.
I hate the NAV system. The screen resolution is just **** poor. It's not user friendly at all. I really hate the North orientation that is the default setting. I like a screen that portrays the direction the car is driving. Anyway to set that permanently?? Not safe to change while driving.

The lane departure warnings drive me crazy. Any way to disable it??

Why did Acura select those ugly fat profile Goodyear tires? Every other manufacturer puts a lower profile tire on their cars. They spoil what otherwise would be a pleasing side view of the car.

Owners manual is a joke. So is inflator for flat tires.

What do I like? Quiet interior, smooth ride (mostly). Smooth powertrain.The cars LED lights are great.

Unless I can get around some of the issues, it's going to be a looong 36 months.

I only drive it when the wife is aboard. My personal car is a 2013 MB C250 Sport which I love driving.
Sorry for the rant and hoping you have some insight to help with my issues about an otherwise lovely car..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having issues. When I leased my TLX a few weeks ago the salesman spent quite a bit of time with both my wife and me setting up the systems in ways that we were comfortable. He set up our settings based on which key fob we were using. This included the seat settings. My wife is 5'2" but she has not complained about the settings other than she doesn't like the way I have the steering wheel set and I don't like the steering wheel virtually in my lap after she has driven it. The settings that you are complaining about are all default settings and can be changed. The procedures are listed in the owners manual and the navigation manual, however, an easier method might be to take your TLX back to your dealer and have him assist in making the changes. My dealer recently sent me an email inviting me to bring my car in for a free hand wash, check up, and a tutoring session for me even though I have only had the car a month. It appears your salesman wasn't doing his job if he let you out of the dealership without going over the car with you. You should be receiving a survey from Acura and I would certainly let them know.

I agree with you about the tire inflater and I would consider getting the spare tire kit except that the only time I have had a flat tire in recent memory was when I was driving a 2005 Honda Accord hybrid that had the same system. You are right it was a joke and I had to have someone from my office retrieve me. Now I am getting too old to want to try changing tires so I will probably just put my fate in the hands of Acura TLC.

I own a 2008 TL (wife's car) and have leased two TSX's before leasing this TLX and have been very happy with Acura service. If you are not getting good service you should definitely make the sales and service managers aware of your displeasure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Nice to get a reply from a fellow Hoosier (raised in Jeffersonville). I'm going to take your recommendation of hitting the salesman again. He was really nice and helpful, but there's only so much a 77 year old can retain. Fixing the defaults will help.
We did have a 2009 TSX which proved to be bullet proof. My C250 has probably spoiled me as it drives SO great. I only wish it was as reliable as the Acura. (I've already had a complete new engine installed at 21,000 mi.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Leased a new TLX 2.4 Tech a few weeks ago for the wife. Her last car was a 2012 Volvo S60. At 5'3 she's a bit short and can't get the seat in the Acura to raise high enough. Service shop[ was no help on raising the seat. Anyone else have an issue w/driver's seat?

This is the first car I've got in the last 20 years that I have so many issues with.
I hate the NAV system. The screen resolution is just **** poor. It's not user friendly at all. I really hate the North orientation that is the default setting. I like a screen that portrays the direction the car is driving. Anyway to set that permanently?? Not safe to change while driving.

Why did Acura select those ugly fat profile Goodyear tires? Every other manufacturer puts a lower profile tire on their cars. They spoil what otherwise would be a pleasing side view of the car.

What do I like? Quiet interior, smooth ride (mostly). Smooth powertrain.The cars LED lights are great.

Unless I can get around some of the issues, it's going to be a looong 36 months.

I only drive it when the wife is aboard. My personal car is a 2013 MB C250 Sport which I love driving.
Sorry for the rant and hoping you have some insight to help with my issues about an otherwise lovely car..

Sorry you are having so much trouble! I am 5'2, so I've adjusted my steering wheel down to the lowest it can go. I agree, the system is not as user friendly as it can be for people who aren't tech savvy. My dealer spent some time going over some of the functions but ultimately, I sat in my garage and played with all the settings just to get familiar with everything.

The settings for the lane departure warnings I believe can be accessed right on your steering wheel. If you toggle down to settings and press down on the knob of the steering wheel I think it'll give you the option to change a few things.

I was not a fan of the default orientation of the NAV system as well, but you can adjust it to portray the direction you're driving. I would definitely opt for the spare tire kit, since I had an issue with my tire just a couple days ago and the sealant/compressor didn't work in my situation so it's coming from my personal experience.

I definitely understand all your frustrations but hopefully, all can be resolved with the help from the people and community of Acura and you can begin to enjoy your vehicle!

·
Registered
666 Posts
DFWGuy: Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get most of your answers here.

One senior to another, since you posted a rant, I will rant back with all good intentions.

Did your wife even test drive the car before buying to see if the seating position was reasonable? Did you even look at the Nav screen during the test drive. I find that the 3D map orientation quite adequate and do not try to study while driving, just a glance is sufficient. But may it is my bad eyesight that makes it seem fine.

If you had looked at the tires and wheels before buying you would have known what to expect, and not be disappointed. There were alternatives.

The tire inflator works fine and I have used it as a regular pump. Very handy. Oh your concern is no spare. Well there are option for that as well. Maybe I am being obstinate, but no spare is just fine. Two flats in the last 10 years for me and both would have been fixed with the kit. If the puncture was worse then a truck roll would have been needed and maybe a couple of hours inconvenience. So be it.

Start to think positively, tailor the settings that fit you best, and maybe the positive features of the car will be enjoyed!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I am somewhat in agreement with @TLX2014.

Did you and your wife test drive the TLX? :)

Seems like these issues would have been found before you bought/leased it. Just saying.

The NAV direction can be changed. I changed mine to 3D with a tilt of 5.

The manual is an electronic version of the hard copy. You can order the hard copy for free during the first 6 months of ownership.

I think your adjectives are a bit dramatic. Take it easy and don't get so flustered. It is really a nice car.

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on the owners manual. I'll order one next week.
Sure, we both drove it. I did twice. The salesman whipped through the nav and audio showing how Acura made everything so simple to do. Simple for him, not so much for me. The 3D is fine. I just need to find out how to get it to come up that way all the time like the other cars we've owned/driven.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sure, we both drove it. I did twice. The salesman whipped through the nav and audio showing how Acura made everything so simple to do. Simple for him, not so much for me. The 3D is fine. I just need to find out how to get it to come up that way all the time like the other cars we've owned/driven.
My salesman went through the nav and audio, too. But he also took the time to pair both my wife's and my iPhones to Bluetooth. In showing me the nav features he also helped me change from defaults to the settings I was comfortable with. He did the same for my wife. He explained a lot during our session that I did not retain. Like JHOANNA I subsequently spent a lot of time with my car on the driveway tweaking settings and discovering new things before I took it out on the road. I still have a lot to learn. After 2 TSXs and a Honda Accord I really enjoy the ride.:)

When I was a little younger I spent quite a few Friday nights in the Jeffersonville area officiating high school football. Worked several games at Floyd Central, a couple at Jeffersonville and a game or two at Clarksville.:D

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Maybe go back to the dealer and make him earn his commission by answering your questions at a slower pace? >:D

Adjusting the NAV display was a while ago, but I just thought I selected it from the menu and left it at that setting. I like that you can angle the map to show some perspective.

I bought the spare tire accessory. I didn't want to take a chance. Although as others have pointed out, when was the last time you used your spare? I still went for the choice of having one available. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Maybe go back to the dealer and make him earn his commission by answering your questions at a slower pace? >:D
Reading the OP post the above comment came straight to mind.
Pretty much all of your gripes with the car can and should have been addressed at delivery! Most of those features should have been explained then.

Get him to work for his money!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Not sure why I have Bridgestone tires on my TLX 6cyl and Goodyear tires on your TLX. Probably Acura provides Goodyear on I4?

·
Registered
144 Posts
My V-6FWD also has Bridgestone. Not sure where I read it but in one of the reviews I read before leasing my TLX the reviewer indicated that the 4 cylinder and, maybe, the V6 AWD had Goodyear and the V6 FWD had Bridgestone. He, too, was not impressed with the Goodyear tires. So far I have no complaints with the Bridgestone tires that I have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just don't understand the issues the OP is describing here but when someone is frustrated I know it can be hard not to rant a bit. I have the TLX V6 base and it's the nicest car I have ever owned. I'm 49 and have had a few nice vehicles. The only complaint I have is I didn't spend the extra for the tech package... and wish I had - my fault and my regret :(

I know people have true issues with the TLX, as described in this forum and I totally understand their frustration. I would be frustrated also. I would do what others have suggested here, ask the salesperson to spend some time with you guys. I do hope you and your wife start to like the TLX at some point. The C250 is a sweet ride, I may be frustrated with cars in general if I had to have the engine replaced at such a low mileage point! Good luck hope you feel good about your purchase in the near future :)

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
274 Posts
The I4 and V6 SH-AWD are supposed to come with Goodyears. The V6 PAWS version comes with Bridgestone. I have no idea why the difference. I am happy with my Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I checked with the dealer today if I could get a tire credit if I swap before I pick it up. They didn't want the Goodyears either. Oh well. I'll run them for a bit and see if they're as bad as people say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts