Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX SH-AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month I've had a new noise issue pop up that's incredibly annoying. Almost all the time while driving around, especially under acceleration, there's a noise that sounds like road dirt/sand/pebbles hitting the windshield. That's clearly not the cause because it happens frequently and I'm often alone on backroads around a suburban (borderline rural) area.

Because of the clear connection to acceleration it seems to be from the force/load on the car and does appear to be coming from the upper part of the windshield. The only other connection I can draw is cold weather since it started about a month ago and this will be my first winter (I'm in the northeast about 50 miles north of NYC) with this vehicle. These are assumptions but I can't think of any other causes.

Has anyone else experience this? For reference I have a 2022 TLX SH-AWD Base. My dealer is in NJ and the service manager is great so I'm going to call him as well but wanted to check in with this group first as it might help my cause to share that I'm not alone.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
Over the past month I've had a new noise issue pop up that's incredibly annoying. Almost all the time while driving around, especially under acceleration, there's a noise that sounds like road dirt/sand/pebbles hitting the windshield. That's clearly not the cause because it happens frequently and I'm often alone on backroads around a suburban (borderline rural) area.

Because of the clear connection to acceleration it seems to be from the force/load on the car and does appear to be coming from the upper part of the windshield. The only other connection I can draw is cold weather since it started about a month ago and this will be my first winter (I'm in the northeast about 50 miles north of NYC) with this vehicle. These are assumptions but I can't think of any other causes.

Has anyone else experience this? For reference I have a 2022 TLX SH-AWD Base. My dealer is in NJ and the service manager is great so I'm going to call him as well but wanted to check in with this group first as it might help my cause to share that I'm not alone.
It's probably a crackling sound coming from your stereo speakers due to their terribly defective FAKRA connectors. I've had mine replaced once and they are failing again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with flatlandTLX, it’s likely the FAKRA connectors. When mine first started having issues it started out sounding like stuff hitting the windshield and eventually turned into static/popping noises and random drop offs of audio.

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX SH-AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, my service advisor immediately agreed with the diagnosis. He booked me an appointment to swap out all 4 of those connectors. I’ll update after the repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine have been replaced as well. Started happening again and they told me that its a known issue that their is currently no fix for. So now i have to deal with it.

Did it again tonight. Its gotten so bad that when i try to listen to XM it a message appears that simply says " no audio connection" and terrestrial radio says "Radio Unavailable"

If its still doing that tomorrow morning i'm bringing it straight to the dealer, where I will discuss them buying the car back from me because this is crap. I Pay 46K for a car advertised with Premium audio, they better sell me a car with premium audio.

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX SH-AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it’s still doing that tomorrow morning i'm bringing it straight to the dealer, where I will discuss them buying the car back from me because this is crap.
I feel your pain. This will be my first visit for this repair but I’ve already been there twice for other issues including a major brake vibration that required a complete brake replacement (known issue as well).

If this problem comes back after the repair I’m 100% selling the car. It’s an infuriating sound. I bought an Acura to take a break from the nonsense issues and frequent repairs on my BMW’s but it’s worse so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel your pain. This will be my first visit for this repair but I’ve already been there twice for other issues including a major brake vibration that required a complete brake replacement (known issue as well).

If this problem comes back after the repair I’m 100% selling the car. It’s an infuriating sound. I bought an Acura to take a break from the nonsense issues and frequent repairs on my BMW’s but it’s worse so far.
Good luck. In addition to the other problems I continuously have new issues. Now my driver side Mirror rattles after they fixed the puddle lights that didnt work from day one. My lumbar support is also making spring noises sounds like an old bed every time I move even slightly.

If I sold it now I would lose a ton of money how can I sell a car that says "radio unavailable" and crackles and pops. If you can get out now with out being too much in the red I would 100% do it. Get out now man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the fakras replaced twice which lasted around 7 months and then the crackling and static noise when accelerating came back. After two trips back to the dealership and their techs stating cannot duplicate, I collected a bunch of videos and they finally decided to replace the radio harness. From what the service manager told me the radio harness installed on these vehicles are to short and with any tension, it can cause the static noise and crackling. Service manager said there is also a wire tie/clip near the radio/amp that holds the wire which bends the cable and can cause the noise as well. Upon installation they also found ground connections loose. It's been about 3 months no crackling or static when accelerating. Now just dealing with the incessive steering wheel clicks and grease coming from under the steering column and onto the floor by brake pedal. Service manager claims they brought it to Acuras attention and they state its normal for the grease to leak when it is hot inside the car. As far as the clicks I was told all tlx's steering wheels click, its the plastic. Going to another dealership to try and get the steering wheel replaced. Find it hard to believe it's the plastic housing where the volume controls are when it's clicking between the speedometer and steering wheel. Not to mention the 3 loaner RDX's I was given had the same steering wheel and no clicks when going over bumps or turning and no grease stains on plastic and floor of driver well. Hopefully this helps fix the static/crackling issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the fakras replaced twice which lasted around 7 months and then the crackling and static noise when accelerating came back. After two trips back to the dealership and their techs stating cannot duplicate, I collected a bunch of videos and they finally decided to replace the radio harness. From what the service manager told me the radio harness installed on these vehicles are to short and with any tension, it can cause the static noise and crackling. Service manager said there is also a wire tie/clip near the radio/amp that holds the wire which bends the cable and can cause the noise as well. Upon installation they also found ground connections loose. It's been about 3 months no crackling or static when accelerating. Now just dealing with the incessive steering wheel clicks and grease coming from under the steering column and onto the floor by brake pedal. Service manager claims they brought it to Acuras attention and they state its normal for the grease to leak when it is hot inside the car. As far as the clicks I was told all tlx's steering wheels click, its the plastic. Going to another dealership to try and get the steering wheel replaced. Find it hard to believe it's the plastic housing where the volume controls are when it's clicking between the speedometer and steering wheel. Not to mention the 3 loaner RDX's I was given had the same steering wheel and no clicks when going over bumps or turning and no grease stains on plastic and floor of driver well. Hopefully this helps fix the static/crackling issue.
Thank you this is good info. Its very sad when I need to show stuff like this to a dealer.

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX SH-AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE
Took the car in this morning and of course for the first time in 2 months there’s no crackling sound. My service advisor said I already have the updated connectors in my 2022 so it wouldn’t be worth replacing when they can’t pinpoint the issue. He did say they checked connections, loosened a tight cable, etc and maybe that would inadvertently help.

Also asked about the driver side window that rattles on bumps but apparently it’s a “floating window” and that fun sound is a design feature.

At this point I’ve decided I’m immediately getting rid of this POS if the crackling comes back. I’m not going to deal with trying to get it to the dealer (30 min away) every time the sound starts only to have no resolution.

So much for getting an Acura for a reliable vehicle. Going back to BMW since at least the 3 series is more fun to drive and a more solid build, so you get benefits for the lack of reliability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts