Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NHTSA has opened an investigation into certain Honda models, mainly the Pilot and Passport regarding issues in which the vehicle's engine fails to restart after a stop.

The Office of Defects Investigation at the NHTSA reports 221 complaints (with no crashes, fires or injuries reported) covering vehicles from the 2016 to 2019 model years. The regulator has opened a probe into the issue, covering 194,731 vehicles in the US, including 2020 model year vehicles too. The investigation concerns models fitted with the 3.5-liter V6 engine paired with the 9-speed automatic transmission.

Auto start-stop systems are configured to shut down the engine when pulling up to a stop, such as at a traffic light or stop sign. When the driver wishes to proceed again, the engine is quickly restarted. Shutting the engine down in this manner saves gasoline that would otherwise be used to keep the engine idling, and reduces emissions in turn.

If the vehicle needs a jump start to restart the engine after the stop-start system kicks in, it would be a sign that the battery is borderline too weak to turn the engine over. It may be that some examples are down to batteries in poor condition, while other cases have a different cause.

Alternatively, it may be that Honda's stop-start system is engaging too soon after the vehicle has been started. Particularly in cold conditions, an older battery can take a little while to charge back up to the point where it can restart the engine. If the stop-start system is engaged too soon, a weak battery won't have enough juice to get the engine going again unless it's charged more or given some time to recover.

In talks between Honda and the NHTSA, the automaker revealed that other models have also experienced the same issue. Models of the Honda Odyssey and Acura TLX and MDX have all been subject to this issue, with the problem shared amongst vehicles fitted with the same J35Y6 V6 engine and the ZF 9HP 9-speed transmission.

What can we TLX owners learn from this?

Consider using a product to defeat the stop start on your vehicle or make sure your battery is always in “tip top” condition. I know some Pilot owners who carry a jumper box around with them; just in case.

Should this situation – vehicle will not restart on its own; the first thing to try would be a jump start. Also, don't forget if this does happen to you, to report it to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got a notice from Acura today that a free update is available for 2015-2020 TLX autos.
"Warranty Extension: Engine does not Auto Restart After Entering Auto Idle Stop
Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and the idle stop feature engages, the vehicle
may not automatically restart. Acura is providing a product update with the new PGM-FI software update to fix the issue."
Maybe this will make me like this awful feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I received this notice from Acura on Friday. They will replace the starter and the relays and claims that that would fix it. Last month I brought my car into Acura because of this and they couldn't find any problems. And then Friday I received this.

I think Acura should come up with a fix reverses the switch so when you get in the car the Start/Stop is off and you can press the button to turn it on if you prefer.

Brown Font Paper Wood Recipe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello people! I have had this issue happen to me multiple times. I took it to the dealer 3 times so far, who supposedly did update the software but has not fixed the issue. He has not replaced the starter assembly. He wants to charge me 150 dollars to look at the system codes (I am assuming the Acura diagnostics tool?) to see what needs to be done. I refused to pay 150$ based on the above mail I received from ACURA. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Contact Acura corporate customer service. Many people ran into the same problem as you and it seems like the dealer charging you to take a look at a problem that is known to Acura is a ripoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts